Sunday, November 11, 2007

Remembrance Day

Our church holds three services each Sunday - two in the morning and one in the evening. Today they honoured our fallen soldiers and also those currently serving in Afghanistan and other places around the world.

Bagpipes while the flags were brought in and for the singing of Amazing Grace. Silvered trumpet tones playing the Last Post. Scenes of our soldiers honouring our recent dead, of coffins covered with our red and white flag.

Readings taken from history comprised part of the service. My part, for all three services, was to read a letter, the last letter written by a young man just about to go into battle. I have a son about that age. I can't imagine the grief that would flood my being if I received a telegram such as that mother in World War I received.

And I will be thankful for those who served. I will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...