Monday, February 25, 2008

Productively Unplugged

Last Tuesday I stayed away from the computer. Rebecca issued a challenge to unplug for a day and be creative. It was harder to stay away than I thought it would be. But in the end it was a great day.

Seeing tangible results of time spent is so valuable for me. Although I'm a writer and spend a lot of time on the computer, I also need time to read and to think. I find that when I create with my hands, my brain is able to recharge and new ideas come flooding in.

When I realized how valuable the time spent away from the computer was, I spent less time on it for the rest of the week. And I accomplished a lot of things in my spare time...

- sewed a set of curtains for the guest room
- painted the guest room closet
- cleaned out and reorganized the linen closet
- made four sets of note cards and some bottles for future gifts
- made a spring banner
- read two books
- did some serious thinking and journaling about goals and dreams and how to put them into place



I decorated a few glass bottles to use as gifts for the future. Spring and summer are coming and I love sharing a flower or two from my garden with friends. These bottles are all recycled - they used to hold everything from pancake syrup to coffee flavourings to vanilla. When I purchase a product at the grocery store I now evaluate the shape of the bottle it comes in to see if I'd like to use it in this way.



I had a sheet of old wrapping paper. It decorated a gift given to my daughter several years ago and at the time I thought it just too pretty to throw away. I used it to make these cards and the banner below. For the cards, I just tore rough shapes of the flowers and words and glued them to cardstock - blue, green, yellow and pink. I like the mosaic effect. They are all different and I've packaged them in groups of four cards to use as gifts.



The banner uses the same gift wrap - it covers the bottoms of the card stock triangles. A simple ribbon threaded through the top, letters printed on pale yellow paper and voilĂ , a banner to brighten up the mirror on the landing.


Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Yes it is hard to leave b logging for a while. We do become addicted. It is fun though and one learns so much.
    Congratulations on all that you achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Wow. You really did accomplish much! A wonderful feeling, isn't it? Thanks so much for sharing. (btw, Peace Like a River is one of my favorite books too :) Blessings, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cards and banner with that fabulous spring wrapping paper. What a great idea. Your handiwork is always lovely... I would never have thought to take ordinary bottles and dress them up as I have seen you do. These latest bottles are wonderful.

    :)
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of your creations. The banner is a perfect breath of fresh air for spring!
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on a fulfilling unplugged day! It sounds like you made good use of the concept :)

    Love those beautiful bottles!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...