Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Making an Impression


I've always loved the Impressionists' work. The idea of capturing an emotion, a fraction of time in a landscape. I like the way they looked at the world and translated it to their canvases.


When I went to Provence I felt like I had walked into one of their works. I realized that the colours, shapes and textures in their paintings were more than abstract renditions - they truly captured the light and grace of that beautiful part of the world.


These are some ATCs I made from a pamphlet I got through a French tourism site when we were planning our trip in 2007. Some are for a swap, but I made extras just for me. Tiny works of art to admire in my studio/office.


Provence captured a little piece of my heart and I hope to someday return. And I'd like to see more of France - Alsace and Burgundy, the Loire region, Normandy. And more of Europe - Italy, Germany, Austria. I think the travel bug has bitten hard.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. I can see that we are truly kindred sisters in many ways... I love the impressionists and these ATCs are quite beautiful. How neat that you are doing Stepping Up, too. I am LOVING it! Just what I needed right now with all that is going on. Helping me remember Who is really in control.

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorrie,

    Thank you for your sweet words and prayers. I have missed visiting.

    Your cards are just wonderful and that bag you made..LOVE IT!

    The carousel was in Geneva. I loved the old/new of the shot. If hubby could, he would move to France. I would probably move back to Switzerland. We would have a long distance relationship-hehe.

    Take good care.

    hugs,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful and beautiful work! You are very talented. You might like my starry night animation since you like impressionism: http://maxanimation.blogspot.com/2008/06/starry-night.html
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an award for you at my blog.

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well if you happen to travel to Alsace one day, PLEASE let me know so we can meet :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...