Monday, June 29, 2009

Camping with the Family

I'll post more trip pictures, but this past weekend we went camping at Englishman River Falls, a couple of hours north of us here on the Island. We've had this on the calendar for a few months - if it doesn't get planned, it won't happen. On Saturday morning we played in the river - ooh, the water was ccccold! Stick races, plunking rocks in puddles and clambering over the river stones kept everyone happy for a long time.

Here's a photo of the falls - the river alters course 90 degrees here, falling into the chasm and then carving its way down the valley.

And my favourite camping partner. We went exploring a bit on our own on Sunday morning and found a sunny rock from which to watch the water swirl and ripple.

Food is a big part of camping - each family sub-group planned a meal so it wasn't a lot of work for anyone in particular. We had wonderful meals. Here's the youngest whipping up a batch of pancakes, bacon, strawberries, and maple syrup for breakfast.

The times I can spend with my family are times I treasure. I took books and magazines to read, but hardly opened them because we were exploring, talking, playing mini golf, talking, eating, walking, etc. We came home last night smoky and tired, but oh, so happy.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:17 PM

    I have a blog at www.picturecamping.com where I feature other's blog posts about camping, and I would like to feature yours. Of course, I'll give you credit for quotes and will link to your post.

    Thanks for considering this,

    Jean B. in SC

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...