Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Time to bring out the Advent Calendar

This year is the first in 28 years that a child has not shared the excitement of Advent with my husband and me. So, instead of our traditional and colourful Advent calendar, I decided it was time for a new, grownup girl's way to count down the days until Christmas.

I saw one on Martha's blog that immediately appealed to me, and I decided to make one of my own. An old picture frame from the thrift store, a piece of thin plywood covered with a suede-like fabric, tags from the office supply store, numbered with a stencil, and upholstery tacks from the hardware store were all it took. And some measuring. Serious measuring. I don't like measuring seriously. I prefer to "eyeball." But I'm pretty proud of myself for doing the hard math for this project.

Then the fun part - finding bits and bobs to hang from the tacks for each day. I have them in a pile on my work desk upstairs just now, but one by one, they will find their way to the calendar. This first one is a rhinestone clip-on earring that my sister-in-law found in Alberta. Its sparkle reflects the anticipation of this wonderful season of the year.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. I love the phrase 'bits and bobs'....
    Your new advent calendar will certainly add a sparkle to this lovely season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Advent calendar. It's simply brilliant! You'll definitely enjoy it over the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty - and I can imagine that it would easily adapt to a childen's theme too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very stylish & grown up, a lovely way to count down the days.
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Lorrie,
    your calender is very beautiful. I would like to add your blog to my favorite blogs added. Is that right?

    Thanks for your comment in my blog.
    Sorry for my bad english.

    Best wishes
    Agnes D. from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh...I like that! I'm a little late for this year...but will tuck away the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very charming idea and what "girl" doesn't like a little bling to start off the holidays? I quite like it enough to try one for myself. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...