Monday, January 11, 2010

A Bit of This and a Bit of That



Dinner tonight provided colour on this windy, rainy, grey day. Our local grocery store flyer often has recipes - today I tried one for Mini Meatloaves with Blue Cheese Filling. Delectable! Sauteed grape tomatoes, oven sweet potato fries and broccoli rounded out the meal. Just the ticket for a wintery night. Click on the link for the recipe.


My daughter has a Bodum (French Press). She does not have a microwave and complained to me about her coffee getting cold before she could have a second cup. She hinted about a Bodum cozy. So, before Christmas one day, I went to the local Starbucks, measuring tape in hand. I got a few weird looks as I measured the French Press up, down and all around. I felted some sweaters earlier and one was really thick. A little cutting, very little stitching, a couple of buttons, and voilĂ ! The coffee-drinking daughter says it works well. My husband thinks I need to make a French beret for the top. We'll see.


And another pot of irises, this one in the kitchen, on a pretty plate given to me by my eldest daughter (not the coffee-drinking one). Bright mandarin oranges liven it up - I'm craving some colour these days. But not too much.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Hi Lorrie,

    A lovely post about a lovely meal.
    I am a very keen cook too, although I have had some problems adapting my dishes for over a year now. I have become dairy intolerant, which means having to go without a lot of my favourite meals.

    I have a recipe for a gorgeous blue cheese meatloaf which i used to cook even for special lunches; now I have to adapt it and it is not really quite as piquant now.
    You said you have become my follower; would you be so sweet and follow me on my blog too by clicking on the Google Follow Me button, please?
    And if you ever have a dairy free recipe (other than meat and veg and stews, of course) that is really exciting, I would be very grateful.

    PS: the verification is piatiza, do they know you're a cook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious!
    I like the little bodum cosy - very resourceful and practical.
    Are you managing to stay upright in the wind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friko - it seems that more and more people in our "age bracket" are becoming dairy intolerant. It's not much fun, is it?

    Pondside - the wind seems to have calmed down a bit today - but I notice some garden things have been blown about outside so I should collect them before they head off to Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are so vivid and beautiful...loved seeing them and a good way to introduce color on witner days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for brightening my day! Love the color too. I'm home with a tummy bug today, so I needed that.
    Going to check out the recipes. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that meatloaf sounds delish! One of our favorite "comfort" foods here :)
    And I love the cozy! I have been wanting to use some of my leftover yarn ends to knit up one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very tempting. Had more snow today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed some dinner inspiration. thanks. The coffee press cozy is very sweet and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...