Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haiti By Hand


Several days ago I wrote a post about the Haiti earthquake and one woman's concern for people she met there. Rebecca Sower returned from Haiti just days before the earthquake with a suitcase full of Haitian art. She opened an Etsy shop and a blog, Haiti by Hand, to showcase the work of the Haitians, with the purpose of sending 100 percent of the funds from the sale of the art back to the people who made it. Their goal is to construct a center where they can sell their products to visitors and tourists.

The Haitian art sold out quickly, but Rebecca's vision went further. She asked for donations from artists and crafters to stock the shop. Again 100 per cent of the funds go to directly to the Haitian people. The artists pay for the shipping themselves.

While praying and giving money is wonderful (and something we've done), doing something with my hands makes me feel more involved. I put one of my journals in the shop yesterday and I'm happy to say it will be shipped to its new owner today. Artwork by Charlotte Lyons and others is in the shop now and going fast. People all over the world have opened their hearts and their wallets to help the Haitians. It's moments like this, when the world comes together, that gives me a picture of the unity Christ intends for his children.

4 comments:

  1. You expressed my thoughts exactly, Lorrie. With all the horror of what's happened in Haiti people all over the world people are trying to help--coming together to do so. This is the way it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea...... and to think your beautiful journal is now a part of Haiti's history, in that someone bought it for the cause.

    You inspire me immensely. Dear Lord, what could I do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Lorrie,

    How wonderful of you to participate in the Haiti fundraiser. I agree with you about people coming together--WE ALL are God's children!

    Thanks for sharing..hae a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. May your beautiful, giving hands be blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...