Saturday, March 20, 2010

Squashing any tendrils of guilt over abandoning both my riveting studies and a house burgeoning with boxes for the move, I talked my eldest daughter, on spring break into accompanying me on a little cruise. We caught the 9 am ferry to Vancouver for a day away. I will mention that she is a high school teacher, not a student, because she is often taken for a student. She is good about saying, "no, I'm not a student, but she (pointing to me) is." And the person behind the desk looks very confused and hardly knows what to say because no one ever assumes that I'm a student.


This was our goal - visiting the Vancouver Art Gallery to see the Da Vinci display. We bused from the ferry to the newly opened Canada Line, then zoomed down to the city center, feeling quite cosmopolitan. Although the line ups that existed during the Winter Olympics had dissipated, there were crowds of people enjoying the Paralympics. A very short line into the art gallery soon had us standing in awe in front of Leonardo's anatomical drawings. No photos were allowed once inside the gallery, but I did ask permission to take this one at the entrance.

Fascinating to me was the detail with which Da Vinci executed his drawings. He wasn't interested in just how to draw the human anatomy for artistic purposes, he was enthralled with how everything worked. Meticulous notes accompanied each drawing, written in mirror image - backwards, right to left, with Leonardo's left hand.


Climbing the stairs to the upper floors I looked up into the rotunda, a bit puzzled at this design for an art gallery. All was explained while waiting for the Sky Train (metro) on the way back. An elderly lady informed us that the art gallery used to be the Vancouver court house.


After wandering through the remainder of the art gallery, which included some of Emily Carr's paintings of British Columbia and a photographic display that was most interesting, we went up to the BC display on the 4th floor. Wood products were highlighted. I took a photo of daughter standing in the Spirit Tree - made from the remains of a huge redwood cedar that grew in Stanley Park and was taken down after the big windstorms of several years ago. We have a photo (somewhere now in a box) of the family (sans yours truly who was behind the camera) standing in this hollow tree years ago.


All that culture made us very hungry. Serendipitously, an Italian-themed cafe - Bellagio - directly across from the art gallery beckoned with an outdoor terrace and fragrant aromas. We found a table in a sheltered nook and proceeded to enjoy a pizza together under the sun. It was almost like being in Europe. From there we retraced our journey back to the ferry and sailed away home.


In spite of everything I left undone at home, I walked in the door feeling refreshed and renewed. Stepping back from the chaos of moving was a good idea and I spent the evening happily packing boxes. I also slept well for the first time in several days.

I leave you with a quotation from Leonardo Da Vinci writing about the intricacies of the human body....

"While human ingenuity may devise various inventions to the same ends, it will never devise anything more beautiful, nor more simple, nor more to the purpose than nature does, because in her inventions nothing is lacking and nothing is superfluous."

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful how a day away can feel like a restful holiday - especially when it includes the most beautiful ferry ride in the world?
    Your day with your daughter is one for the precious memory bank - thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day away spent in the company of someone we cherish refreshes the mind, body and soul. I really enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been like a mini holiday, delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a fun day. I especially like your photo of the rotunda -- so bright and airy. You're right, the one at the cafe turned out very shadowy, but it's still a reminder of the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the little trip to see Da Vinci. What an amazing man. I was also really amazed to see the pic of your daughter at the hollow tree. At this very moment I am wearing a very, very similar hat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lorrie, found you via Rebecca's blog. Fond memories of the Northwest. Tx!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely daughter (in more ways than one) to accompany you on this getaway. I'm so glad that you did it. Don't we all need to get away every now and then?! Oh yes! Love the picture of the two of you at the Bellagio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of a better mother/daughter day than spent as you two have.....just a beautiful day and beautiful photo's.....:-0 Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh makes me want to hop on a ferry as well and take the trek to Vancouver from Seattle. Can one do that? We usually drive.

    Thanks for sharing your very special day.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like the perfect one-day escape...mini-cruise, art show and pizza on a outdoor patio...with your lovely daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lorrie, I loved reading this post. I felt like I was getting the full report of such a beautiful day spent with your precious daughter -- as friend to friend you would tell all the lovely details. I would love to see the da Vinci exhibit. His curiousity about our design produced so many beautiful images and make (unintentionally by him, I assume) such a case for our magnificent Creator.

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...