Wild windy weather combined with cold rain have stripped the trees almost bare. The other day as I studied, hordes of leaves gusted by my window, and I was glad to be indoors.
On Wednesday the sun showed her glorious face and I ventured out for my walk in the sunshine. Bare trees display a spare architectural beauty that rivals summer's full lushness.
Each season has its charms. I lived for many years on the equator where seasons did not exist. I missed the changing light and the descent into winter followed by the fine hope of springtime. Spring, summer, fall and winter provide a framework for the year on which to hang each day and later recall them to memory.
Autumnal pleasures I'm enjoying just now...
* warm cozy sweaters
* a mug of hot tea to wrap my hands around
* scuffling through leaves gathered along the roadsides
* more blankets on the bed
* soups and stews simmering on the stove
* watching the wind and rain from the window (preferably with my hands curled around a mug of hot tea)
* exhilaration from walking in the wind and rain
* rediscovering the goodness of apples, pears, and squashes
What are your autumn pleasures?