Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Winter Beach


Monday dawned with no rain in sight. Although the tides are high and there is little beach, I wanted to be by the water. So off I went. The rocks which are high and dry during summer's low tides were nearly covered. 


Most of the homes along the beach are year-round residences. This small beach house waits for the return of warmer weather. Recent storms combined with very high tides have beaten down the grasses and even deposited strands of kelp on people's yards. Many homeowners were out cleaning up their lawns and gardens while I walked by.


A gull swooped low, but didn't catch anything.


Black oyster-catchers, with bright beaks, hunted along the shoreline.


I glanced at my watch after taking this photo. 12:15 pm. Noon. The sun is the highest it will get during the day and yet long shadows fall across the ground. Three more weeks of shortening days until the solstice, and the return of the light.


12 comments:

  1. Lorrie, your camera and you are working well together! I'm off to the beach while the sun is out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! Yes, the shadows are certainly low and long. I'm taking my Vitamin D that's for sure.

    Lorrie, are you sure that home is unoccupied? My eyes may be playing tricks on me...it looks as if there's a person wearing a white hoodie to the right side past the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, well, it could be a white lampshade or it could be a woman sitting at the bar with her elbows resting on the bar while she tells her second blogging buddy in less than five minutes that she's an idiot. The first was Penny at Comforts of Home. It's my day for putting my foot in my mouth. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So calm, so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like you are having fun with your new camera. Lovely pic's.

    It is hard to believe that we are approaching the shortest day of the year already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So enjoyed our walk along the waters edge this morning, there is something about a wintery beach that calls my name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Lorrie,

    You take some of the most breath taking pictures! I would love to be able to walk along a beach and take in nature...it is nice in the country but there is something so peaceful along a beach shore.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love being able to go on these beach walks with you. Always so lovely and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see that you are getting very experienced with that new camera! I love your beach shots. I hope to get out onto the beach this weekend, weather permitting. It can be cold and windy,just not rainy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely peaceful beach! I'd love to hop from rock to rock but I'd probaly fall in the water.

    thanks for visiting awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully atmospheric and such a calm atmosphere. You are blessed to live near such beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...