Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chocolate Cheerios








There are, apparently, people who do not like chocolate. I have met some of them. It's beyond my comprehension, because I think everything is better with a little chocolate. 

Like Cheerios. These are a riff on the ubiquitous Rice Krispie squares - made with marshmallows and butter. Add a little chocolate to the mixture and substitute another cereal and voila - a whole new treat!

I have had a hard time concentrating this week. Our roof is being replaced and it sounds as if Santa and his reindeer are clattering about all day above me. 

Yesterday I joined the tech-age. I've had a little flip pay and talk phone that I use rarely. But I found that even being called for substitute teaching is changing and I was missing calls/emails because teachers sent them out to several people and whoever replied first got the job. So....I now have an iPhone and will be connected at all times. Unless I choose otherwise. Perhaps it will become second nature, but for now, I'm finding texting awkward. I'm sure anyone under 40 reading that would laugh hysterically. 

Choosing a phone and a plan was VERY stressful. I needed some data but not much. What a rigamarole it all is. Now I have to learn how to use the phone. 

I think I need to make some more Chocolate Cheerio squares since the batch pictured above was devoured during camping last weekend.

Here's the recipe if you are feeling the need for a little chocolate:

Chocolate Cheerio Squares

1/4 cup butter or margarine
10 oz marshmallows (40 regular or 5 cups mini)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
5-6 cups Cheerios

Melt the butter, marshmallows and chocolate chips together in the microwave or over low heat on the stovetop. Stir to combine well. Add the Cheerios. 

Press into a lightly greased 9 x 13 pan. Chill. Eat.
 

10 comments:

  1. Reading about the phone choice being stressful made me shiver. We periodically think that we might need to get one, and I have a look at what's on offer, I get dizzy and a headache and give the whole idea up. Up to now we haven't been in a critical situation where we truly regretted not having one so we'll do without.
    Latest time we checked phones out Elise was behind me, hopping and asking "Which one will I get when I'm 14 ?" Oh the headache in perspective !
    Chocolate cheerios... just the thing for the changing season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! I will remember this...

    The whole phone thing is interesting. Sometimes, when the phone hasn't rung for days and days, I come to and learn that my phone has been dead in the water. We let the landline go a few years back. It's a wonder that search parties aren't sent out for me. It would be important to have a good phone if being called into teach depends upon it. All the best with figuring it all out. Texting? I don't care for that either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awkward those high tech phones but I'm here to tell you it does get easier...I think.
    Next time around we're thinking to do I-phones instead...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorrie,

    You really made me laugh very hard with this post! I actually cannot wait to get out of my cell phone contract!!! Ha, ha, ha!
    See, technology never stops and we need to keep up with it.
    Yes! I also dislike to text a lot...but people nowadays do not call anymore, they text.

    Too bad I cannot have some of those chocolate Cheerios with you!

    P.S. Do people that do not like chocolate really exist? Really?!!! Ha, ha, ha! May be they are from Mars...


    Gabriela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought some chocolate Cheerios a few days ago. I noticed they are comparable in calories with the regular cheerios so decided to give them a try. I'm looking forward to trying the bars tomorrow. i think they look great! thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made anything like those bars before, but I like all the ingredients. I like the slight saltiness of Cheerios and I think that would be nice with the chocolate...ALSO these sound perfect for the emotional eating that results from the stress of new technology in one's life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still have my old Nokia mobile phone and everyone is trying to talk me into an iPhone but so far I just haven't taken the plunge. I hate that because everyone else is doing it, they figure I should be, too. I'm not in the loop because all my friends are using what's ap or Facebook but it just doesn't hold any appeal for me. To each his own. Good luck figuring it out. Have a fabulous weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't those look wonderful! And I agree, lots of things taste better with a hint of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum...to the cheerio squares! I have been procrastinating with the whole smart phone thing...simply because I don't feel like doing my homework to find the best plan, the best phone, etc. Do I need another big monthly bill? Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate Cheerios make a change to Rice Crispie cake. Something to remember for the Grand children although I have to say their tastes in cake is far superior to the times when mine were young.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...