Thursday, October 25, 2012

Breathing Time



When I arrive home from school around 4 pm, the first thing I do is put the kettle on and make myself a mug of tea or hot chocolate. I sit and savour the drink, drawing warmth from sipping and from wrapping my hands around the mug. A little snack, like these gluten and dairy-free cookies is a nice treat, too.

I find I need a little bit of breathing time to transition into the busy-ness of making dinner and evening activities. 
 

We've had a fair bit of rain lately, accompanied by pelting wind.  When the sun does shine, it's for a short time and noticeable enough that students and teachers alike comment on it when coming into the library. The other day, around 4:30 pm, I noticed the long slant of shadows on my dining room wall making my plates into a mottled landscape.
 

Shadows of the last spikes of lavender drying in a vase cast themselves onto the wall in graceful arcs, reminding me of the pass of summer into autumn's ever-shorter days.

I admire my daughter-in-law who comes home from work every day and immediately begins caring for a hungry two-year-old. I consider myself lucky to be able to transition gradually from work to home-work.

How about you? Do you need a little breathing time between activities? How do you transition?

9 comments:

  1. I need my routines or transition times to feel right at the end of the day. Love the shadow shots...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My day is a gentle transition from one thing to another so unlike what working gals have to deal with.

    Those cookies sound wonderful. I, too, have a friend who must eat gluten-free. I think she'd enjoy this. Sometimes she appreciates the efforts one takes as much as the item itself.

    Lovely photos and shadows on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your breathing routine. I have a cup of tea in the afternoon and it slows me down. Yes, I am enjoying puttering a bit--finally!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I have had a busy day out, I like to take a few minutes to transition, usually with some reading...newspaper, magazine, book (although that can be dangerous time-wise!), or blogs. (Okay, blog reading can be dangerous too, also time-wise!)

    As a young mother, I also needed some transition time whenever my babies went down for the night. I could never just go to bed. I liked to unwind with some kind of quiet activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the slanted afternoon sun playing on your plate wall! I've never really thought about how I transition. I think I just dig right in to the next task...with a mug of coffee to keep my company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just had the loveliest catch-up on your last few posts. Life has been a bit hectic these past two weeks and I often feel that I'm 'playing catch-up'. I don't often get home before 5:30 and unless I've prepared meals on the weekend I have to think about dinner right away. When I can, I make the transition by taking a walk with the dog or by reading the newspaper. The truth, though, is that there is rarely time to pause as I am ravenous by the time I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the texture of the shadow play on your plate wall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I like my puttering time. . . . Like you, I often make transitions with a cup of tea, either reading or just looking out the window. No space for that this week, though, with our little visitor . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such pretty graceful shadows...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...