Thursday, July 04, 2013

Over the Sea and Home Again



Monday, July 1, was Canada Day. We celebrated by a quickly planned trip to the mainland. Our afternoon cruise was delightful - warm and sunny, with always stunning scenery.
 

After leaving the car at our daughter and son-in-law's home, we walked, rode buses and the metro, walked some more and enjoyed the beautiful city of Vancouver. People were out in droves enjoying the holiday and sunshine. 
 

After a picnic supper in Stanley Park, we wandered along the waterfront until we found a patch of grass on a slope where we spread our blanket and sat to wait for the fireworks. But we needed ice cream! We left Tim to hold down the fort (blanket) and the three of us walked some more. Owen works downtown and knew of a place that sold "the world's best gelato." The lineup to get into the store curled down around the corner. We waited at least 30 minutes to get in.
 

Owen wasn't exaggerating. Bella Gelateria won the Florence Gelato Festival in 2012. 


We asked for cups of gelato instead of cones to make carrying it back to the blanket easier. It was so hot; with a cup of gelato in each hand, walking as quickly as possible through the crowds, drips and melts were inevitable in spite of my periodic taste swipes. Here's the end result - empty cups and happy tummies. 
 

The crowds were so pleasant. Beside us a Philipino family played cards while waiting for the fireworks. People chatted, read, and played. About 100,000 people came to downtown Vancouver for the celebration. It was fun to be a part of it. So many languages and cultures came together. I'm a proud Canadian.
 

The next day, Owen returned to work, Tim and I did some errands with Ashley, and then we took Tim to the bus terminal where he caught the ferry back while Ashley and I shopped. On Wednesday the two of us went downtown again. Lunch at Lily Mae's was delightful - a scrumptious chicken confit sandwich and salad, eaten while watching the flow of interesting people on the sidewalk. All in all, a very good little trip. 

Happy Independence Day to all my American readers! 

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very fun trip! I would guess that many folks made the trip from the mainland to the Island too, to celebrate the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh!! such memories of Canada you bring me, Lorrie.
    Fiona told me it was 30 degrees last week. That's hot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you had a grand time. Vancouver is such a beautiful city. We walked ourselves silly when we were there 3 years ago! Enjoyed our trip over to Stanley Park too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds wonderful Lorrie. What a fun way to spend Canada Day. I have never tried Gelato. They sell it at an ice cream shop in the city but I always go for ice cream. :) I guess I'll be seeing part of Vancouver later this month as we land there! Excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of people to watch the fireworks! I live in a community of less than 60,000 so our fireworks crowd is much smaller. And this year, on Salt Spring, with a population of 10,000, I'm guessing there was maybe 500 out for the celebration. Much smaller and very peaceful!

    Do you ever travel over to Victoria for Symphony in the Park in August? We love that day. We're hoping to go over next year. Love the music in the harbor.

    Thanks for sharing your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos bring back such good memories of our trips to Vancouver and Stanley Park! It's been so, so long...
    Glad you had a very enjoyable Canada Day:)
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:37 AM

    Sounds like a fabulous trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I marvel at true people persons! Not for me, but I loved that it was for you and that you enjoyed the heat, the city, and the crowds. Now the gelato...I do believe I could enjoy that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun way to celebrate Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete

  10. An impromptu cruise and a couple of days in the big city - it's a recipe for a very good time! Every Islanser should have family members living in Vancouver.....and visa versa!..,,,,,it would make for perfect weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like such a fun time...I miss Stanley Park. And you had perfect weather..how wonderful is that?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a special way to start my day seeking your amazing photos of beautiful roses, strolling through Buchart Gardens and remembering my first two years of teaching when I lived on English Bay. Your photos are lovely. I'm glad to hear that you had such a wonderful Canada Day! So glad I had a few minutes to visit your blog this morning...it was inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed gelato in Venice! And it sounds like you found a great gelato place...so glad you chose cups over cones!! Nice collage of your time spent there and glad you got to spend time with your daughter too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely trip - it all sounds fabulous. It is fun to have Canada and the 4th of July so close together - almost like two countries celebrating at the same time. I especially liked the ferry photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you filled your time nicely! Glad you could glide over and enjoy Canada Day with loved ones and thousands others!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds, looks and tastes like fun. Thank you for the Independence Day wishes. It was a fun, quintessential 4th for us here in the Pacific Northwest.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like a very nice way to celebrate Canada Day and Vancouver looks like a beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like you had a delightful Canada Day, and your fireworks experience sounds like the ones I had in NYC, surrounded by so many people of all cultures.

    We spent Independence day this summer with just family and enjoyed it quite a bit! It feels like summer will go by quickly now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad to go on this trip with you Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...