Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Garden Inspection



Sunny days. Three in a row! Irresistible. Shy and looking downwards, daffodils nod their heads.
 

Exuberant mint bursts up from its pot. It would take over the world if I let it.


Grape hyacinth glows in the morning sun, its slender leaves stroked with gold.


Plum tree leaves reaching, unfolding, lifting to the light.
 

A dandelion offers its color to the garden. Today, it makes me smile. Later, I'll dig it up. Maybe make a salad with the leaves.


As I wander through the garden (it's not very large), I notice first the flowers blooming, then the garden beds where the garlic grows tall and green and wrinkled rhubarb leaves slowly uncurl. Stones mark the rows where kale and radish seeds, planted yesterday, wait in the darkness for life. My neighbour's grapevine growing over our compost bin swells with promise. I walk to the left to inspect the raspberry canes, happy to see the new sprouts and fresh leaves. I turn then, to the right. And oh, the apricot tree is in bloom.

A rush of pure and unexpected joy takes me by surprise. A tree with its first blossoms. Such a small thing to cause such depth of emotion. Puzzled as to why this particular sign of growth and life affects me so, I'll not over think this, but take it as a gift from the God who delights to give.

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The grape hyacinths are amazing! You take such great pictures -- the color is so vibrant. I feel like I could reach into my screen and pluck a blossom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the sunshine with you in your photos. And the promise with those blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww they all so pretty x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like you about blossom. It strikes straight to the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking in the garden in Spring is truly a delight and gift from God.
    I love seeing your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your beautiful words and thoughts on seeing your spring garden coming to life. Thank you, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the light is so beautiful, the prose so fine. Sometimes awe causes such a reaction...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful...especially in the sunshine! No dandelions over here as yet...but we are certainly enjoying the blossoms of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful signs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes...a gift from God. I like that interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely sunshiny pictures. The flowers are so cheerful. We let the dandelions bloom and go to seed and become wishes. The plants only last for a while and then disappear from the lawn so we let them be. I'm always anxious for the first dandelions - which come later to our yard because of the shade - but eventually we get some and celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whoa is that ever a lot of green, and blossoms, and beauty.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. New tree buds always amaze me! Your pictures convey the wonder of tender and colorful plant flesh sprouting from hard brown branches.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful, and I have felt the exact same rush of joy at the coming of this spring. It all happened at once around here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Your photos are so clear and vivid. I love to see the buds on a flower tree open. I think it's magical.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hasn't it been just splended! splendid! weather? Gorgeous photos, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all your gorgeous flower photos......spring is a joyful time, and beautiful flowers make me feel the same!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed your comment about the mint; I made the mistake, years ago, of planting a teeny, tiny plant and still deal with it shooting up everywhere in the summertime!

    I like your sunny daffodils and the bright blue grape hyacinths, Lorrie. Today, it's a grey day so some April showers will help bring my May flowers.

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  19. New life, finally. A joy indeed. We must simply accept it with gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sunshine makes me so happy---I love it! That blue hyacinth is beautiful...
    Blessings, A

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...