Thursday, February 22, 2018

Five on Friday



1. A cold snap arrived over the weekend and lingers on. Yesterday afternoon snowflakes wafted outside the classroom windows, distracting students and teachers alike. By late afternoon the snow was beginning to stick and this morning there was a fresh white blanket covering the ground. My little pot of spring bulbs didn't seem to mind the chilliness.


2. Beautiful pink streaked just above the horizon this morning. Each window had a different, and equally lovely view. I took this from a back bedroom, looking out over the Sooke Hills. 

Students were really distracted this morning and I think I earned a few points with my French 8s by letting them go play in la neige for the last 10 minutes of class. They were quite surprised when their teacher threw a few snowballs at them, and a few retaliated in kind. It was great fun. 


3. This is another photo from our little getaway last weekend. On China Beach this log looks to me like it bit off more than it could chew. That rock is firmly lodged and not going anywhere. 


4. This evening I made Ginger Snaps, the first in a long while. They come from an old cookbook - The Mennonite Treasury of Recipes, a forerunner of the Mennonite Girls Who Can Cook, perhaps. I like them because they are assertively ginger-flavoured and are crisp and snappy, but can soften to chewiness over time. I put the recipe below.

For a number of years, every time I baked these cookies I would package some up for Tim's mother. This is the first time I've baked them since she left us, and it made me a little sad. She liked them as I do, snappy! 


5. My Christmas cactus decided to bloom in January, and now in February, it has a few more blooms and is growing rapidly. I'm happy to see it flower whenever it chooses. 

Although the Five on Friday link up is no longer happening, the format is fun, as Brenda mentioned the other day. 

Tomorrow may bring more snow, or rain. Possibly some sun. The forecast is a mixed bag.

Here's the recipe for the ginger snaps:

2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
sugar for rolling the cookies

Mix the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar, then add the egg and molasses. Add the dry ingredients and mix well.

Form into small balls and roll in sugar. Bake on a lined baking sheet for 12 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool on rack. 

23 comments:

  1. Sad weather here, too. Ah....winter.

    The cookies look and sound delish. I think it's sweet you make them and remember your mother in law.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it that snow on spring flowers always looks so lovely?

    It is wonderful that you pressed on with baking the Ginger Snaps. I find
    myself not doing so many things because of the memories.

    Off to see where that cold weather is heading. Straight to the North Pole, I
    hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sunrises are very beautiful this week. The colour we've been waiting for! March is fast approaching with daffodils blooming through the snow on this side. It seems impossible how fast the time is going. I don't eat many cookies but gingersnaps are great with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe looks similar to mine. Your view is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Five on Friday format too. Lovely photos and the ginger snaps look good, thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice five.

    I'm certain there was a tinge of sadness when a new thing reminds you of your loss. The cookies look tasty.

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those ginger snaps look delicious and I can just imagine how tasty they would be with a cup of tea!
    Memories of our lost family members are sparked by so many things...a nice tribute to you MIL today...with the cookies.
    Stay cozy and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dont know if my last comment went through. Recipes handed down and kept are a family treasure. I bet the sadness , bittersweet, will be replaced with joy as you hand these recipes down too. It keeps our loved ones alive! big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! I thought five was back! I also enjoyed that format. Isn't it interesting how much recipes remind us of others? I like that about them. If it's in someone else's handwriting it's all the better. Your photos are very interesting. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that something as simple as a recipe can trigger such wonderful memories of a loved one. A lovely way to ensure they are never forgotten. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny- I made ginger snaps day before yesterday. Just had a hunger for them. My recipe is similar but uses a bit more molasses. It is hard to make something for yourself that you used to make for someone you loved.

    Lovely photos...and I am sorry you didn't get one of you throwing a snowball....and you didn't even get sent to the principal's office? No throwing snowballs allowed at our school lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do believe I must make those ginger snaps. They sound delicious. Yes, snow and chilly weather this week; so happy you got in a little play. What a fun post, I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a pretty sky over the frosted landscape! Your students must have enjoyed their break from their studies. I remember a teacher who gave us a similar break on a beautiful spring day - a sweet memory. Your cookie baking is another sweet memory:) xx K

    ReplyDelete
  15. You definitely increased your coolness factor with your students! I can't remember the last time I threw a snowball. The snow is nearly all gone here...but I'm not counting winter out yet!

    P.S. Love the colours of your pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This winter seems to be so, so, long in many corners of the world this year. Love the sound and appearance of your Ginger Snaps and have written the recipe down.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Checking my cupboard now to see if I might have a jug of molasses! All our snow is washed away by rain now. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So much color in your post - we were skiing today and snowshoeing yesterday - I am ready for some color! Your turn of phrase with the ginger snaps - 'assertively' - got my attention - I love strong ginger! Good for you to get out with your students and throw some snowballs - brings back super memories of the all-out family battles we used to have! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those ginger cookies are making my mouth water. I think that they taste even better after a couple of days! Mmmmm . . .

    I am fascinated by the rock in the driftwood. You provided a great description. :)

    I'm sure that your students were delighted to have a bit of a snowball fight with their teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My Christmas cacti do crazy things too. One bloomed in the fall and then bloomed again the first of this month...no real rhyme or reason. Oh those cookies look heavenly...the hubs would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm over here from Ellen's for the Gingersnap recipe. They look delicious. Thanks for the recipe. The next time I make cookies I will making them. : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. The rock-eating driftwood is great! (Or, well, I guess it is just trying to eat, poor driftwood!) I read about the recipe on Ellen's blog too -- I am catching up on favorite bloggers because we had that out-oft-own company and then we went away on a boat trip and I got way behind. (And yet there are amazing women who teach full time and still bake cookies and blog beautifully. How DO they do it?)

    Thank you for the recipe -- I've printed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm going to save your gingersnap recipe, because, unlike most similar recipes I've seen and used, it uses *butter*, which I imagine would take the flavor to the next level!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...