1. Purple coneflowers at the garden I visited earlier in the week. I have some growing in my own garden, a recent addition since I realized that most of my flowers bloom earlier in the summer and I want colour all season long. The petals look as though they've been painted with watercolours.
2. My husband has been away since Sunday. Baltimore, Buffalo, Toronto. I thought I'd have all kinds of time to accomplish some projects, but I've mostly been keeping up with the garden. Green beans ready for the freezer. I use them mostly in soups. I did manage a little sewing, but didn't finish all I'd hoped for.
3. Do you prefer vegetables or fruit? I prefer vegetables. I do like fruit but find vegetables more interesting. This Sausage, Green Bean and Sweet Potato medley is a concoction derived from the need to use up more of those beans.
4. Along with freezing green beans, I've canned applesauce and tomatoes this week. Just one canner full of each. This is such a rich time in the garden. Our apple trees produced a couple of dozen apples, not bad for the second year. All over our area there are abandoned apple trees. We collect apples from them to make applesauce. I'd like to bake a couple of pies for the freezer, too.
5. The changing light and cooler nights are indications of the season turning. Days are still hot and sunny. Little Miss S's mother purchased some second hand pink boots for the rainy days ahead and now that's all the little girl wants to wear. With rainbow striped socks and a flower print skirt.
The last weekend of summer is here. School might or might not begin on Tuesday (our province's teachers are involved in some labour action). Tim will be flying in from points east tomorrow afternoon and I'll meet him at the airport in Vancouver, then we're taking a few days for a little trip.
Have a wonderful weekend! Enjoy the golden days of summer.