I've been tagged by Barb of The French Elements
. I love her subtitle: French is a state of mind.
For this tag, I'm to share 6 unimportant things about myself. Unimportant to whom, I ask? Well, probably to everyone but myself. So here goes...
But first the rules:
1. Link back to the person that tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Share 6 unimportant things about yourself.
4. Tag 4 people at the end of your entry.
6 Unimportant Things about Me
1. I like eating vegetables more than fruits. Zucchini, broccoli, salad greens, squash...mmm good.
2. I'm an extremely fast reader - I read an average-length novel in three to four hours, a thin paperback in less. That means stacks of books in my carryon when I travel long distances.
3. List making is one of my pleasures. Things to do, to create, lists of projects, recipes, gardening ideas, goals - I make lists constantly but don't always stick to them. I find listing making to be a creative exercise.
4. A recipe to me is just a guideline - I rarely follow them, unless I'm baking a cake.
5. I love summer and am not too crazy about spring - it's too capricious and I don't like cold wind. Autumn is better - the earth is still warm which makes the air warmer.
6. I prefer volcanic activity to earthquakes. Having lived in Ecuador, I've experienced both. Volcanoes usually give warning, earthquakes do not.
I'm not going to tag anyone in particular. If you want to share 6 unimportant things about yourself, I'd love to read them. But I'm always concerned about being a nuisance to other people, although I'm very pleased when tagged myself.
Now, the recipe...
Our spinach is nearly finished and the strawberries just beginning. While they overlap, I love making this salad. The flavours meld so beautifully.
Spinach leaves, washed, trimmed and sliced or torn
Fresh strawberries, washed and tops removed. Halve the berries.
Goat cheese (Chevre)
Freshly snipped chives
Amounts depend on how many people you want to serve. I make individual plates these days, placing first the spinach, then the berries, then crumble a little goat cheese on top. Sprinkle with chives after drizzling a little of the following dressing on top.
Raspberry-Poppy Seed Dressing
2 T raspberry vinegar (or use cider or champagne vinegar)
1 T sugar (if desired, I leave out)
1 tsp poppy seed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil or olive oil
Whisk all together then drizzle over salad.
You can also add toasted almonds or pecans to this salad. The combination of the creamy goat cheese, sweet strawberries and crunchy spinach is one of life's little pleasures. Enjoy!