Thursday, September 12, 2019

Apples, Dahlias, and other good things


It was a lovely afternoon - such an afternoon as only September can produce when summer has
stolen back for one more day of dream and glamour. (L.M. Montgomery)

Lucy Maud Montgomery's writings remain as popular now as they have been for many years. Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon remain close friends of mine and I occasionally dip into the books even at my very adult age. 

Recently, a local sculptor, Nathan Scott, collaborated with an east coast artist to create a new statue of LMM. Grace Curtis did the sketches and Nathan sculpted the bronze piece that now resides at Cavendish, PEI. I love the way LMM is captured holding her face to the sky and soaking in whatever loveliness she felt. 

"Dear old world," she murmured, "you are very lovely and I am glad to be alive in you." (L.M. Montgomery)

This morning I went out to cut a bouquet of dahlias. I think I love dahlias more and more each year. I'm already thinking of what colours and shapes I want to add to my small collection. I think I need some dark burgundy blooms, and pale yellow. I have a yellow dahlia, but it's in a pot and because of that the stems are quite short and unsuitable for cutting. Next year I'll know better. 

"If I wasn't a human girl, I think I'd like to be a bee and live among the flowers." Anne Shirley (L.M. Montgomery)

Just before my clippers snipped this blossom I noticed two bees, curled up fast asleep among the petals. At first I wondered if they were alive, but one stretched his legs out and rolled over to let me know they were okay. I tiptoed away, not wanting to disturb their slumber. 

"I believe that the nicest and sweetest of days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string.
Anne Shirley (L. M. Montgomery)

The tawny shades of hydrangeas fit so well with autumn. Where the light shines directly on them, they are burgundy, pink, and green. Underneath, paler blue. 

I have noticed a LOT of spiders coming in this year. I know they like to hide out in flowers, so as soon as I brought the hydrangeas into the house I plunged them into a sink filled with water mixed with some white vinegar. The crawlies soon came to the surface. 

I've been using peppermint oil as a deterrent for the last day or two and I think that's working, too. I diluted it and put it into a spray bottle to squirt around windows and door frames. 

"Everything we had was small except our love and our happiness." Emily of New Moon (L.M. Montgomery)
We have a bumper crop of apples this year. If you lived nearby, I'd be happy to share them with you. I've made apple cake, apple crisp (5 of them for the freezer), several apple tartes, and included them in salads and savoury dishes, too. They are wonderful! 

"Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world."
Anne Shirley (L.M. Montgomery)
This morning (I don't teach until the afternoon today), I made a Bavarian Apple Tarte, first tasted at my cousin Caroline's house and made many, many times since. It's quick and easy to make, and a great go-to recipe for a gathering. It's still in the pan here because I made it to share with friends and it needs to travel. 

What is September like for you just now?




22 comments:

  1. Love the statue very much, probably how I look on a sunny day. I’m hoping to go home soon and pick some of my bumper apple crop. Hopefully still some healthy ones on the tree . I’m looking to add a few more dahlias to my collection, I’ve seen some lovely ones this week. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful statue. You can almost feel the warmth of the sun on her upturned face.
    I had a very dark red Dahlia this year, called 'After Dark', beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the statue is lovely. I am going to enjoy your beautiful flowers and try to imagine the tastes of your apples baked into so many tasty treats. In reality we are melting in 95F heat here today. I would love a blast of cool fall air right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a bumper crops pf tomatoes and apples. I am roasting tomatoes for the freezer for rich sauces in the Fall and Winter.
    I am working on my packing list for our upcomong trip...
    Spiders are definitely visible right now...we keep the heads on the hydrangeas until almost Spring as it gives insects and bees a place to hang out and perhaps hibernate in safety.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a scrumptious post! The flowers, the fruit, and LM Montgomery's quotes which I too delight in, made for a lovely read. I do hope the statue weathered the storm last weekend. I haven't been out to Cavendish since the storm took place so I can only assume all is well with it. They showed videos of all the downed trees out there but nothing has been mentioned about the statue of our beloved author. September always gives me an ache in my heart because I know summer is coming to an end. Our winters are not so enjoyable. Enjoy all of those lovely desserts! Joy to you...Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sleeping bumble bee! Beyond adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen such a picture as that one of a bee lying in a dahlia!! Dahlias are truly lovable, and I'm happy that I was able to raise them for a few years... now my daughter Pippin is the Dahlia Daughter! She gets a few new tubers every year because always some don't make it through their hard winter. They are gorgeous, like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love quotes and your photos are beautiful. The statue of LMM is really lovely with sweet kitty sitting to the side. A blog friend in Illinois has a bumper crop of apples this year, too, and has been making and freezing and giving away. I do enjoy a delicious apple pie or crumble. Yum, yum, yum! Your tart looks scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the statue her uplifted face made me smile and wonder what she was looking at. Your photographs are a delight, I enjoyed the quotes along with them too. The sleeping bees were a joy and off course the tarte looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My old eyes! I can clearly see a fountain sprouting from the statue’s head. Closer inspection reveals that the fountain is a tree trunk and limbs. 🙃 I like the representation of Lucy. I imagine that she would have liked it, too.

    The slumbering bee is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great picture you captured of the bees sleeping! Your apple desserts sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post. That's a great statue. Love the dahlias. Their variety is pleasing to the eye. The apple dessert looks delicious! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm also a fan of LM Montgomery's books and visiting PEI is on my bucket list!

    The apple tarte looks great! I'll be transitioning to my apple spice teas soon...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sweet to find two little bees curled up in one your flowers and both sleeping away peacefully.
    Love all of the quotes you have used courtesy Lucy Maud Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The LMM statue is adorable, kind of modern but also traditional. You succeeded to capture the beauty with dahlia with the bee sleeping. Do bees sleep? I always think they are gone if not moving...., Apple pie is a must in the autumn! Wishing you a relaxd weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love LMM! It is thru her I first heard the phrase Kindred Spirit. Can you imagine living on Prince Edward Island? We are still warm, today is 78. But the mornings are nice and brisk. Sugar maples are just starting to turn. 😊 Kit

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a gorgeous sculpture! I just adore Lucy Maude. Your hydrangeas are stunning this year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful apples and pies, and the colors of your hydrangea--oh my! And love the action in the statue of LMM--And then there's the sleeping bees! An interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had to go away to google Emily before I came back to comment! Cannot believe that I somehow did not know about her ... Anne was a beloved favorite. So I googled, went to the library site, and put the first Emily on my wish list! (My hold queue is full). All without moving from the sofa of course. Never too old for a new Lucy Maude Montgomery. So now back to revel in the lovely sculpture, the beautiful dahlias, and the scrumptious apples ... fresh from the tree and beautifully baked! I’d take you up in your offer in a second if I were closer, but here I’m lucky enough to have an Apple growing son-in-law and I’m taking full advantage of that of course!
    ,

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're so fortunate to have those beautiful dahlias and hydrangeas to enjoy in your garden and home, Lorrie, AND those apples!!! The tarte looks simply scrumptious, and I will be checking out the recipe. I also liked seeing what books on in your stack from your previous post, and your other wonderful meals that you prepared. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ...fabulous images of a gorgeous area. Thanks for taking me along on this trip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That really is a most beautiful statue.. and I could just eat a slice of the Bavarian Apple Tart :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...