Friday, September 25, 2020

Five on Friday: Between Raindrops and Sunshine

 


Outside my window this Friday afternoon the trees are swaying in the wind and the sky is blue. How different it is from when I left this morning in the midst of pouring rain and dark skies, with the windshield wipers flapping madly. We've been through a few days of this back and forth weather. Summer has slipped quietly away and autumn's mercurial moods have replaced her. 

Yesterday when I arrived home, I took my camera out into the garden for the light was slanted and golden. Blossoms are dwindling, but the ones that remain are truly lovely. I planted a pot of pansies for the back patio and they are thriving. So much so that I believe I will fill another planter or two with them. They provide colour throughout most of the months until spring. 


Late raspberries continue to ripen. There are tomatoes, as well. I thought all the rain might split them, but so far, so good. Several plants are under shelter and they will provide us with tomatoes for another month or so, I think, unless it becomes very cold. I picked another zucchini, a few more green beans, and some blackberries. 


One of my parsley plants went to seed early in the summer. I've left it to grow tall and spindly because of these wonderful seed heads. I clip them for bouquets and love the shape that evokes stars and snowflakes in a mellow shade of green.

While driving today I noticed that pale brown leaves, crisp and dry, are tumbling along the roadways and drifting along the curbs. 


The hydrangeas above look a bit dull - there was no golden September light when I photographed them in between raindrops this morning. There continue to be a few new blossoms on these bushes - no dwindling light and copious rain seem to bother them yet. 


When I hear the rain pounding in the night, I think sometimes about my flowers - like the zinnias - wondering if they will be battered down when I wake up. However, in the morning they are standing tall as ever - bright spots on dark mornings. 


Another hydrangea mellowed to soft colours, and bright yellow rudbeckia beyond. The garden is thriving with this combination of rainfall and sunshine. I'm not minding it, either. I love hearing the rain outside and feeling the gusts of cool air through the open window against my face while I'm snuggled into my blankets. 

Weekend plans include some housekeeping and laundry, and I'd like to tidy my potting bench for the winter. A little reading and some sewing are also planned. Another quiet weekend at home, such as I find utterly satisfying. 

Wishing you the joys of autumn in your own corner of the world. (or spring, if you are from down under)

26 comments:

  1. Lorrie, you write so eloquently...it's always a treat to visit your blog! Your garden is still so colorful and booming. Raspberries this time of year!!! The zinnias! I love them, my grandfather grew them in abundance. I was walking Poppy at the lake recently and came upon a home with a mailbox surrounded by tall, glorious zinnias in full bloom. The owner happened to come out and we introduced ourselves. it was fantastic because I had a ton of questions about the flowers. She planted them from seed, and then what she doesn't cut for vases, self-seeded. Can you add to this? They are something my heart is calling me to do next summer, especially in remembering my grandpa giving me a tour of the backyard fence lined with these precious flowers.

    Your time doing the simple and relaxing during free time is a great tonic for these difficult times. We have to hang in there and pray for change.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quiet weekend at home, filling my day with a little reading, a craft project here and there is exactly what I have planned. Your garden space with the pansies is looking so good the vibrant colours a joy. I love hydrangeas and although there is a shift in there colour, they still have such charm. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hydrangeas are so pretty now, and quite unexpected with their colours. Last year mine turned deep purple. this year they are red!
    Winter pansies are perfect for this season, and I planted a pot for the front doorstep this week.
    Enjoy your peaceful weekend, it's what we all need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden looks lovely this time of year still! Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the shades of color that hydrangeas have. They are beautiful and the light can sure give beautiful photo results. I hope you have a nice weekend. It's too hot to hike today so I'll get caught up around the house! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, your garden looks beautiful. I cleaned up a bit after the storm. There was so much rainfall here that all the plant saucers were over flowing and the wind blew petals and leaves everywhere. It is time for pansies and bulbs. Our hydrangeas are still blooming with the slightly faded colours of fall. I'm almost finished reading the new Elena Ferrante book. It's already been read aloud on BBC 4 Radio so I listened to it as well. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tidied my garden potting area on my deck yesterday. It needed it! I love the mellowing colors on the hydrangea and the beauty of the zinnias! So cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a good eye for the beauty around you. Lovely images. Hope your weekend is refreshing and rejuvenating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have certainly caught the slanted, golden light in your photos. Love your pansies. Like your phrase 'autumn's mercurial moods' - a true description indeed. Happy weekend, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like my kind of weekend! I like the quiet ones. Didn't even go yard saling today. I must say that our covid-19 numbers are going up, so I'm staying home. But you know me I don't mind at all. Have a great weekend! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post is filled with such lovely photos. I know the seasons are changing but it's still nice to see such pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! You truly are blessed with abundant beauty . SOmetimes those last flowers of the year seem the brightest, maybe because we know that winter is on the way. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. It is a warm day today and I am enjoying time with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your weekend plans sound perfect to me.

    The raspberry crop here this year was pitiful. Maybe next year will be better.

    Your blooms are beautiful and the veggies still grow. That’s great for this late in September.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I would have known that Parsley has pretty seed heads I wouldn't have cut mine down. Next year I'll know better.
    Raspberries in September...I'm envious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos
    At this elevation in Vermont closer to Lake Champlain, the foliage in some places seem to burst with color in a day, vibrant colors of deep red and orange. In other places, the trees are all green.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photos of your garden; the light is wonderful at this time of year. Tomatoes still ripening here too, lots to pick since our return. Those pansies are glorious and perfect for the darker months. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always stop by and read several of your posts at once, Lorrie! You've been busy teaching, canning, cooking and baking. I need to check out your date loaf to see if it's similar to the one that I've been making since I was a teen. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful flowers. Is your garden large? I should wander about because it seems there have been a few tours through the years. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lorrie, your garden continues to look lovely despite the vagaries of nature. Love the hydrangeas, I've missed not having them this year. Your pansies are a delight and I may just have to pop down to the garden centre for some so we too can enjoy their jewel like colours.
    Have a wonderful week, take care.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  20. That September light is highlighting the beauty to be found in your garden. The raspberries look especially enticing. Hope you enjoyed your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your garden flowers are still beautiful! Yes, the leaves when I go walking are turning brown and falling. I love kicking at them when I walk. Oh, I need to get some pansies. I did get a few asters, but the pansies do so well throughout the winter. Hope you are enjoying a bit of sunshine this week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are such joys outside now, even here in Nashville where we're having beautiful cool weather that is unusual for us. We're not as far behind all my friends to the north this year with autumn approaching. Your hydrangeas put ours to shame now! I think we haven't watered them as much as we should. I enjoy so much seeing how your garden and your neighborhood looks throughout the year. It's how I travel to a place I wish I could see!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoy seeing things in the garden changing subtly as the days go by. Then suddenly you realize that the season is well under way. The flowers are still pretty in their autumn garb.

    Hope your weekend was all you hoped it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lorrie - how I would love to have some pansies for winter color; our pots freeze solid in the winter if we leave anything in them, so it's just not an option. Sigh. Love the look of those raspberries! We are enjoying a week of spectacular fall weather - blue skies, low 70s. Everyone is out enjoying it while they can!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A lovely post.
    Those pansies are so colourful and lovely to see the different colours of your hydrangeas.
    I hope you had an enjoyable weekend, and with October just around the corner, I hope it will be a good month for you.

    Stay safe and well.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Horray for a golden light, the photos of your garden are gorgeous.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...