Friday, April 09, 2021

Friday Favourites

 


Rich morning light saturated my photos one day this week. Not today. Instead there's been drizzle and grey and a chill wind. I met with two friends for a walk and then we sat outdoors by an outdoor gas fire near a coffee shop and talked and talked. How good it is to get together with friends and catch up on each other's lives. Texts and phone calls are not the same as face to face visits. 


My eldest daughter painted this beautiful rock with the help of her friend who paints a lot of them. It's so pretty and matches the pansies very well, so I have it nestled among them for now. 


I planted kale early last autumn and it grew slowly over the winter. Some days I could see it curled up and frosty, but it always perked up again. Now it's growing vigorously and I've been harvesting it. 

Kale pucks are good to have in the freezer to toss into soup or a vegetable saute. I chopped, then steamed the kale for three minutes before packing it into muffin tins. Once frozen the pucks easily pop out and I store them in freezer bags.


Some of my recent reading material. The Kinghorn novels are very easy reading centered around the first World War and "The Founding" touched on the controversy of Richard III and the Princes in the Tower. It's the start of a long series and I don't know that I will get through them all. Well-written historical fiction. "Where the Crawdads Sing" is excellent, if hard reading, touching on the vulnerability of children and women, and the beauty of natural life in the marshes of North Carolina. 


My husband brought home flowers for Easter and the lilies are opening up beautifully. It's a mixed bouquet and as the various flowers die I like to cut the better ones down and place them in different vases. 

He was out of town last night and this morning called very early to tell me the news about Prince Philip. Not unexpected, but sad, especially for the Queen who has lost her beloved husband who provided her with strength and courage throughout the years. I pray for comfort and peace for her.

I read a fun essay this week by J. F. Riordan about modern appliances that I thought you might enjoy.

Electronic Narcissism 

The weekend forecast is for sun and a warming trend. I'll be gardening, at my daughter's place and perhaps here a little, too. 

Thank you for reading and I wish you all moments of joy and happiness.




21 comments:

  1. What a great idea for kale. I get tired of the stuff. This is a great way to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea for Kale. I'll show our gardening DIL that trick. It was sad to hear the news about Prince Philip...
    Hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers, both in the bouquet and in the garden. A gentle rain sounds so good. I do hope we get some soon, as it is very dry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lorrie,

    Such beautiful, beautiful photos this week! I love the one of the grape hyacinths and the lovely painted rock. All your flowers are pretty. :) I confess I'm not a kale enthusiast, but perhaps I should try it again. Your reading selection looks interesting. My mom read "Where the Crawdads Sing" and she loved it. We're North Carolinians, so that makes it more appealing, I'm sure.

    Thanks for your visit this week, and I'm glad you enjoyed the visit with your friends!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rock is amazingly painted. Where the Crawdads Sing has been translated in Finnish and has been a great success, but controversial. It is so loved and so hated as well, I thought not to read it. I have so much to read, mainly by Finnish authors' new releases. We got in Finnish Elizabeth Strout's Olive, Again and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the painted rock very nice and matches the mud arid colour.
    We will miss Prince Philips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking yesterday that throughout my life Prince Philip had always been there. The blue of the painted rock is wonderful with the flowers in your garden. It must have been wonderful to sit and chat to friends again:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to store the kale! The books sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips for the kale, I will definitely be popping more into the freezer. Love the painted rock, it looks adorable in the pansy bed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning, Lorrie. Great idea for the kale. The painted rock is so pretty, what a lovely surprise to come upon. Enjoy your gardening, I am headed that way too. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good work on the kale!
    Lovely flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that painted rock is the prettiest one I've ever seen! I thought it was jewels! I loved Where The Crawdads Sing too...one of my favorite books of all time! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful "rock"!!!

    And gorgeous flowers!!!!

    Oh dear, I need to look back at your original post, with the photos, to continue this comment. But if I switch back to it, I may lose this comment. -sighhhhhh=

    Could you possibly consider changing your Comment Area, to "Pop UP"????? With this, the whole post stays visible, even when composing a comment. It is so much easier, at least for me, to give a detailed comment.

    Please... Could you consider this? It is really easy, to change your Comment box or area or whatever it is called, to Pop Up. -smile-

    Thank you for the reading suggestions. I will Publish this, and go back, and see what they are.

    πŸŒ·πŸŒΈπŸŽ€πŸŒΈπŸŒ·

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read the J F Riordan, and laughed at his descriptions of the machines...calling attention to themselves! We've just bought a new microwave and the beeps make it sound as if a very large truck is backing into the kitchen. Oh for the quiet old fashioned machines!
    I love the rock, it has a Faberge look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The painted rock is so pretty! I like the idea of vegetable "pucks"handy in the freezer.
    Isn't it lovely that we are supposed to have some warmer and sunny days in the coming week?

    ReplyDelete
  16. All of your photos are just lovely. I'm praying for the Queen. That's a long time to be married and a huge loss no matter the age.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your daughter did a very nice job painting the rock and it looks right at home in your garden.
    I have heard so many good things about "Where The Crawdads Sing". I need to add it to my "to be read" list.
    What a great idea for the kale pucks. Such a handy, healthy ingredient to have tucked away in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your garden/floral photos are always so beautiful. The colours just POP!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the idea of Kale pucks, I think I'll give it a try. Kale is one of those things that I know I 'should' like but I don't, perhaps hiding it in a stew is the answer :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, the modern appliance story made me laugh! My washing machine has musical beeps for different functions and while my little grandson was in the room he said, "it sings!" One beep I miss is the one I'm used to that tells me I left the fridge open. Worse is that my freezer does not make a sound when it's not closed all the way. I've had food thaw out twice overnight already. Maybe I hsould see if the sound is turned off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...