Friday, July 10, 2026

Friday Favourites: Garden Delights and Blue and White

 

It's Friday evening and it's good to relax after a busy day. I did laundry, a little gardening, and preparations for a short trip we're taking. The morning was cloudy and dull, but the sun broke through in patches in the afternoon. Clouds have moved in once again and the twilight is darker than on a sunnier day. 

The daisies and hydrangeas are having a party in my garden. I think the cooler temperatures we've been having are making things grow very well. The daisies are almost as tall as I am. All of the hydrangeas have intense colour this year. I can't help thinking of many blogging friends in other parts of the world who are suffering under such dreadful heat. 


One of the little luxuries of summer is creating meals from what's ripe in the garden. A salad of lettuce, fresh peas, a few radishes, and some sliced strawberries all sprinkled with a few nasturtium petals was a treat for the eyes and the taste buds. 


On another day I was surprised to see this perfectly formed cauliflower just begging to be cut. None of the other plants are showing such promise. I steamed the cauliflower whole, sauteed some freshly picked zucchini, lightly steamed fresh peas, and drizzled garlic butter over them all. Delicious! 


I've always been a fan of blue and white. The design on these teacups, given to me by a friend, is so pleasing to my eye. There's a lot of blue in my home. A few months ago one of my neighbours asked me, "What will you do when you tire of blue?" I don't think that will ever happen - it's been my favourite colour since childhood. 


Blue and white in the garden, too, although I have lots of other colours as well. Roses and dahlias in many shades, and all the green to add life and freshness. 

This week while out shopping I walked by a store selling phones, and was surprised to see a Foosball game set up in the centre of the store. Two employees were playing. Usually, if there are no customers, people are on their own phones, reading or scrolling. So it was a pleasant surprise to see these two engaged in a friendly competition and not engaged with technology. 

I've been reading about more people wanting an "analogue" life rather than a digital one. There is certainly much richness in the physical aspects of life - gardening, cooking, sewing, etc., that I would not want to give up just to spend time on my computer or my phone, and perhaps others are discovering that richness for themselves. 


One last blue hydrangea to wish you a beautiful weekend. I hope the heat waves soon end for those enduring them in Europe and eastern North America. 

I'll leave you with a short poem I read on Gretchen Joanna's blog and copied into my journal. 

How did the rose
Ever open its heart
And give to the world
all its beauty?
It felt the encouragement of light
Against its being.
Otherwise, we all remain
too frightened.

Hafiz (c1320-1389)



26 comments:

  1. Before I even got to the part where you mention you are a fan of blue and white, I was admiring your dishes. They caught my eye before the food on them did. Speaking of cauliflower, have you ever tried pizza when the crust is made of cauliflower? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer is blooming sweetly in your corner of the world. I have a hard time walking away from a blue and white piece of china or stoneware. :) Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of blue hydrangeas and daisies is beautiful. My mother loved blue and white. Her kitchen was done in those colors with pieces of blue delft that she collected. Blue and white always says ‘home’ to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been so fortunate to have mostly cooler days. I notice that there are some 30* highs for the coming week though. I will throw a sheet over my Hydrangeas on those days. Yours are so lovely. Blue and White go so well together. I rarely get tired of the things I love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beautiful blue of your hydrangeas looks wonderful accentuated by the white of the daisies. It must be a glorious sight indeed. I love your fresh salad and steamed cauliflower and admire your gardening skills and cooking very much. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Salty Pumpkin Studio11:35 PM

    Beautiful photos. The food looks summer delicious. Happy and safe travels
    May

    ReplyDelete
  7. The poem Gretchen Johanna shared is travelling on - I've just copied it i to my commonplace book too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love blue too and if you peeked into my wardrobe that would be the dominant colour. I long for blue hydrangeas but however hard I try they always revert back to pink. Mine are certainly hating this heat. I look forward to hearing about your trip away. Safe travels. B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue and white are the colours of the Finnish flag 🇫🇮 😀
    Very moderate temperatures here in Helsinki, too. But the garden seems to like it.
    Everything in your pictures looks lovely. The last picture is incredibly beautiful. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always feel so at home in your posts and find so much to love. The garden salads both look wonderful! My garden is looking a bit wilted from the heat, but still treating us to the sweetest strawberries ever.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are all such lovely shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lorrie, your photos are gorgeous! And your meals look delicious and the presentations are attractive. I also love your dishes! Thank you so much for sharing. It is still very hot and humid here in Montreal, I am grateful for having an air conditioner and sun block curtains. I hope you have a wonder filled week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a blue person as well, and it carries over from wardrobe to garden! There are so many shades of blue from hydrangea through Agapanthus to Salvia, and i love them all!
    Your salad looks delicious, light and tasty , just right for a hot evening, and with homegrown food too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another lover of blue here too. Clothes, flowers and household items Your dinner plates are very pretty and your food looks delicious served on them, especially the salad:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful colours, all!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That salad looks wonderful! So fresh and pretty. I hear you on blue and white -- it's a favorite combo of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Purple is my favourite colour, but I also appreciate blue and white teawares and florals!

    There is actual scientific evidence that going offline is good for the brain!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving the white & blue together. The food looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The blue hydrangeas paired with the white daisies must be such a glorious sight.
    Your garden meals sound delightful, especially the cauliflower and zucchini with garlic butter.
    You make gardening and cooking look effortless.
    Happy Tuesday, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do see you as a blue and white girl. As soon as I saw the white daisies and blue hydrangeas I thought "Yes, that is you".

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your collections of blue and white, whether in the garden or on your dishes and tea cups or other places in the home! It is such a pleasing, calming combination. I also love the beautiful food combinations on the blue and white plates . . . so appealing! Hope you are enjoying the trip you have been preparing for!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lorrie, your garden looks absolutely glorious right now — those towering daisies and richly colored hydrangeas feel like summer at its best. I loved reading about your beautiful meals from the garden; that cauliflower dinner sounded heavenly. Your blue‑and‑white treasures always make me smile, and I agree… it’s a classic you never tire of. The little moment in the phone store made me laugh — how refreshing to see people playing foosball instead of scrolling. Thank you for the gentle reminder to savor the analogue joys of life. Wishing you a cool, peaceful weekend filled with flowers and light.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your photographs are delightful.
    Your food looks delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love blue and white so beautiful colours. Here the heat is going to down for some days but they predict a fourth heat wave! We are very tired of so much heat! Your dishes look very good and I must prepare the dinner and you make me feel very hungry!😋 I will be off my blog because the children and grandchildren are arriving soon for one month. I wish you a pleasant Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Incredible flowers. Our business, PrimRose Home care & Hospice, is named after a flower that reminds me of rebirth and beauty. Flowers are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved your post, Lorrie. Wonderful glimpses of yummy things from your garden. Love those dishes you displayed - gorgeous. Blue and white is a forever favourite combo for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Six Places on Saturday

  It seems that the longer I go without blogging, the harder it is to get back into the rhythm. But finally, here I am.  1. We took a trip t...