Flowers in the Window by Carl Larsson
I've long been an admirer of Carl Larsson's paintings of his home life. They are filled with warmth and charm, and depict a loving family. He grew up in poverty and with a father who regretted his birth. In contrast, Carl Larsson, in his memoir, spoke of "my limitless love for my wife and children."
In the above painting I admire the Gustavian style furnishings, the potted plants and flowers in the wide window, and the knitting on the table with the chair pulled out as if someone had just stepped out of the picture for a moment.
| Young Girl Reading by Fragonard |
Many years ago, when our children were young, we visited the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, DC and all of us were enthralled with the paintings in the National Gallery of Art. Each child chose a print that we later framed. Our youngest chose the above painting, probably because she loved yellow and she loved reading, and still does.
How comfortable the subject is with a fat pillow at her back and her arm resting loosely on the chair.
| Breakfast Time by Hanna Hirsch Pauli |
More recently I've become aware of Hanna Hirsch Pauli, a Swedish female painter. I do love the light filtering through the trees onto the table in the painting above, and how beautifully the table is set, awaiting the breakfast participants.
Domestic scenes appeal to me, likely because I love domesticity, to a certain degree. I am glad I have opportunities outside my home, and have never regarded it a chore to be in my home. It is here that my creativity can express itself fully, in cooking or decorating, or writing.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.