Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Banana Bread


Three bananas were going brown on my counter today. So this evening I made some banana bread. Tim and I each had a slice with some butter while it was still warm. Mmm good. And oh, so easy. And isn't the cutting board pretty? My son-in-law made it and gave it to me for my birthday last October.

Banana Bread

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup (about 3 medium) ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional - and I leave out)

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, beating until smooth. Blend in mashed bananas.

Stir flour with baking soda, baking powder, salt and nuts (if using). Add to banana mixture, stirring only to moisten. Transfer to greased 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 12 x 7 cm) greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees (180 C) for about 1 hour, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on cake rack to cool. Wrap to store. Yields: 1 loaf.

**You can add 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips for a different flavour.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...