Sunday, May 07, 2023

Telling Time by Flowers

 


If the lilacs are in bloom, it must be early May. A couple of days of warmer temperatures followed by a day of softly drenching rain has caused the garden to explode. 


Everything seems to be in a great hurry now, strawberry flowers will soon turn to berries and the forget-me-nots under the rosebushes surround the pot in a blue cloud of charm. Such uplifting sights in the garden. I look out of my kitchen window and the profusion of pinks, blues, and greens sets my heart to dancing. 


Violets appeared in one small garden bed a couple of years ago, and although I know they can be quite aggressive, I've managed to control them enough to appreciate their tiny faces. They also grow under a couple of rosebushes. One year I candied the flowers and used them on a cake. Pretty and delicious. 


Birds come to splash in the weathered birdbath and are not bothered at all by this still fellow. Behind him is a profusion of pink rhododendron blooms. Rhodos are showy and very suited to our area, but they are not among my favourites. I read a mystery novel years ago, before I really knew what a rhodo was, and the murderer hid among the rhodos. Funny what puts one off. 


Wisteria drapes carelessly from the roof of the garden shed. My sense of smell continues to be diminished, but if I stick my nose right into the flowers I get a faint sweet scent. 
 

When I was in elementary school our new home was built on former agricultural land. Farms and fields surrounded the subdivision and along the road where I walked to school, a row of apple trees remained. I loved climbing trees and in May I would climb into the fragrance of a blossoming tree to cut branches for vases. They never lasted long, but the scent was intoxicating. 

The beauty of this month fills me with an ache. Beauty awakens deep longings within the human soul. I want to look and look and fill my eyes and heart and brain with the wonders I see. Do you feel the same ache?

25 comments:

  1. Lovely photos of lovely flowers. Yes, new blooms do lift my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't let him in... the pain... allow only the joy. I know what you mean though... the impermanence we are aware of.
    Yesterday I saw the first lilacs bloom here with us... the splendor... the scent... joy.
    Many warm greetings to you from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Lorrie, I know exactly that feeling of awe and aching on seeing and breathing the beauty of Spring. Our Lilacs are not yet out but soon....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:06 AM

    Yes, I most definitely feel that same ache. In fact, I was trying to describe it to my husband on Saturday. I don't think I was nearly as successful as your description. Very well said, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why my comment above is anonymous.

      Delete
  5. It really is an amazing time of the year. So much rebirth, so much promise. No-one should squander it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are weeks ahead of us but I feel the same about the new green of spring…in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flowers and scents at this time of year are so evocative. Here in France everything is a few weeks ahead of home. Most of the roses are all in full bloom. So magical. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being drawn to the fragrance of apple blossoms in the spring is strong. There are orchards nearby that could have a blossom day for folks to get a whiff and take photos. None that I know of do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I do feel that ache. In some ways comparable to the ache in autumn of not wanting to miss a single moment of beauty. Your garden must be so lovely now, Lorrie. I love the pinks, blues and greens too, with as much purple as I can get. I do miss the wisteria that we had at Valley View, even if it sometimes seemed intent on crawling right in the door. Enjoy your late spring there with everything popping out at once!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The memory of the fragrance of Orange blossoms stand out for me. I went to a college in Southern California that was surrounded by orange groves. Night blooming Jasmine is another wonderful scent. Your garden sounds lovely. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this time of year ...
    May is one of my favourite months, it is always a joy to see the beautiful May blooms.

    Enjoy your days, and please keep sharing your beautiful photographs..

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to hold on to all of the beauty that can be seen in May gloriously shown in your photos above. The ache for me comes from the fact that the month of May is rushing by too quickly and I want to stop it in it tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:38 PM

    May and June are months so filled with beauty. I love going out in the early morning to look at what's blooming now. GM

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marilyn M5:49 PM

    Your garden is gorgeous! I keep saying to my husband how lush everything is now. It is amazing how it feels like just over night and the beauty burst forward to greet us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have lovely flowers in your garden. I have not seen forget-me-not in a long while, could be the weather here is not good for them. The scent of lilac also is enchanting. Yes, our spirits lift with the return of all the pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What stunning photos, Lorrie. Every photo makes my heart sing. (I like your birdbath!). Lilacs are a favorite and ours are just coming on. I must cut a few for the house. And those beautiful pink and white blossoms. Sigh. I love this season!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Truly longing for and seeing beauty, I think is proof of being made in the image of God. You have a way of sharing beautiful glimpses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. the lilacs are also blooming here and new peonies will follow. It is all green and all trees now have their leaves back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We don't have spring in our forever-summer corner of the world but I can feel the awe of spring.
    Gorgeous photos, Lorrie.

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know what you mean by that ache - you described it very well. However, mostly I try to just feel joy - my garden is my happy place. Your flowers and plants look so beautiful - what a wonderful lilac! Ours are long gone. They usually bloom in March - thankfully due to cooler than usual days they kept longer than most years, when one hot day can finish them off. My garden's shady places are covered with thos forget-me-nots and I love them - except when they get their seeds that tend to stick to my clothes when I work in the garden. But such a sweet little flower. I hope you can enjoy the beauty of May much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm loving all your beautiful flower/garden photos. I'm feasting my eyes. We're a long ways from things being in full bloom here, but we're coming along. The garden has tulips popping up in all sorts of spots - a delight for the eyes and heart. Wishing you a beautiful day, Lorrie. It's beautiful here this morning with cooler temps and sunny blue skies and not a sniff of wildfire smoke - for which I'm most grateful. Still asking for the gentle rains for our provinces. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. The lilacs are also blooming here and soon the lovely peonies. May is just fantastic!
    Love from the island & Titti

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...