Tuesday, July 18, 2023

An Adventure Begins

 


In the very bottom left of the map above you will see a pink island with a small dot labelled Victoria. That's where we live. For a number of years the two of us have dreamed about driving across Canada, all the way to the green island on the right with the small dot labelled St. John's. 


Our home for the next three months will be our 21 foot Escape travel trailer, or caravan. I think caravan is a much nicer word, don't you? We've made lists and checked them twice. Clothes, food, books, tools, hiking boots, raingear, and sunhats have been tucked away into every nook and cranny. 



For a few days prior to our trip I wondered why on earth we would leave our comfortable home and garden to drive thousands of kilometres across our country. Part of me is excited to be setting out on this adventure. We'll see things we've only heard or read about. We'll meet new friends, and a few old ones.

As we go along, I'm certain there will be times when I say, like Bilbo Baggins, "I wish I were at home in my nice hole by the fire, with the kettle just beginning to sing." Those times will be rare, I think, as we travel east and then back again over the next three months. It seems like a long time now, but I know the days will pass quickly. 

I hope to blog as we go. Posts might be sporadic as the internet may be spotty. We'll see what happens. 


We were on the road for 12 hours today and are cozy in a lovely treed campground not too far from Banff. A yummy dinner of pulled pork and coleslaw. After a long walk I’m looking forward to a cup of tea  




23 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:47 PM

    To quote Dr Seuss, "Oh, The Places You'll Go " Have a safe and wonderful trip. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  2. it’s such a nice trip! I am sure you’ll enjoy it. I went twice to Quebec but never on St John’s. I would love to go again .
    Have a nice and safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure Lorrie! I firmly believe in doing these amazing things while you can, and are healthy and well. You will be making such wonderful memories....and you will come home like Mole, with one of those 'mysterious fairy calls' to Home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you are coming to PEI, maybe we could meet for a walk if you are interested. If so, send me your email address and I wont’t publish it on my blog.

    What an incredible journey! St. John’s, my hometown, is calling me home for a few days but I can’t go this year, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it is going to be a wonderful adventure with lots of beautiful sites along the way. Your caravan looks to be quite comfy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy & Safe Travels!
    That is quite an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an adventure! Hope you have a wonderful time I love Banff and Lake Louise . B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This trip will give you both so many new memories, adventures, and experiences. Enjoy, and travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a special adventure you are on. It's nice to have that home on wheels for a constant on your months away. Enjoy and keep us posted. You made good mileage already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to hearing all about your advenmture...as it unfolds! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely adventure and I wish you a wonderful time! I know you will enjoy it so much. We did a road trip across the US in 2007 and due to work and school we only had six weeks, but we saw so much and met so many wonderful people. It was one of our biggest adventures we ever had. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  13. May God bless you, and make you to be lights shining on everyone you meet. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like "caravan" too. What a wonderful venture on which you are embarking! Safe travels and do check in when you can!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You will never be sorry for taking on this adventure, as you know, there is so much to be thankful for! I'm sure it's taken a lot of preparation and now you just go and enjoy the anticipation made real as well as the surprises along the way. May God protect you and the ones you leave behind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an exciting adventure . . . to travel and see and soak in new sights and experiences . . . and to do it with your soulmate! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful adventure! I'm excited to hear all about it. (I think caravan sounds much nicer, too. In fact, I may start calling our travel trail a 'caravan.') Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am fascinated with your plans and already know I will love following the adventure. I'm also sure the three months will fly by for you both. (We have experience with the three-month part, although in a different country.) j... I've tried to explain to a few friends that it is quite possible to love both staying home and traveling away from it -- you understand that. I look forward to more posts when you can. (Although I also perfectly understand how hard it can be to blog from the road.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sure it will be a wonderful adventure.
    Wishing you safe and enjoyable travels.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Marilyn M6:50 PM

    Have a most wonderful adventure. I have dreamt of taking the train across Canada and one stop I have dreamed of is Banff. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How exciting, Lorrie! Wishing you and Tim safe travels and a very wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh that's nice :-)) I'm really excited right away and want to join you... you're doing it right - dreams have to be lived.
    Enjoy, have fun and have a good trip with many beautiful experiences.
    Hug of Viola
    p.s. Thanks for the introduction with the map of Canada... that gives us the right impression of what it's all about... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Catching up on your posts. I saw your pics on FB, but did not know that you were driving across Canada. AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Friday Favourites

  Today I awoke to the soft beat of rain punctuated by a chorus of birds singing their morning songs. It's a soft rain, soaking into the...