Sunday, June 04, 2017

Royal Fashion Rules




While going through my photos of our trip last summer, I realized that I hadn't shown you the display of royal clothing at Kensington Palace. This post has been in the planning for a week or more. The news of yet another horrific attack in London this weekend had me wondering whether or not to post this.

I decided to go ahead and post what I was planning because normal life is what these terrorists want to disrupt, and I think it important to carry on as normally as possible. Let's be loving and kind to each other. The people of London, particularly those directly affected by the attacks, along with their families, are in my prayers and thoughts.  


The exhibit Fashion Rules Restyled was a fascinating look at the wardrobes of three royal women: HM Queen Elizabeth II, Princess Margaret, and Diana, Princess of Wales. 

The rules of royal fashion are: High impact, Bold Accessories, On Trend, Diplomatic Dressing, and Attention to Detail. Above is an example of High Impact - a stunning embroidered gown that The Queen wore to a state function in France in 1957. It's difficult to capture the sheen of the fabric and the sumptuous effect of that hand embroidery in a photo. Trust me, it is magnificent. 

The designer, Sir Norman Hartnell, said, "I despise simplicity. It is the negation of all that is beautiful." I have to disagree with him on that, for simplicity can be utterly beautiful, but he did know how to add details that enhanced rather than detracted. 



This red and white striped dress is an example of On Trend, worn by Princess Margaret in 1949. After the war, fabric rationing ended and designer Christian Dior introduced the New Look that incorporated yards and yards of fabric. 

Can't you imagine how wonderful it would be to swish those skirts around?



Diana, Princess of Wales, wore the dress above while on a royal tour to Japan in 1986. I never realized how much taller she was than The Queen or Princess Margaret, but her dresses were significantly longer. 

The dress is artfully designed to echo the cherry blossoms beloved to Japanese people which were in bloom at the time of the royal visit. The details of this dress are exquisite. I would have loved the opportunity to examine the clothing more closely, inside and out. 

Other than High Impact, I'd say these royal rules for fashion could be ones I could follow as well. Dressing appropriately for the occasion, paying attention to detail, being at least somewhat on trend, and accessorizing wisely make a lot of sense. Do you agree? 


I leave you with a garden view from London last July. 

Linking with Mosaic Monday, hosted by Maggie of Normandy Life. 

29 comments:

  1. Wonderful & interesting reading Lorrie. The dresses are beautiful, it's great that they have been preserved an are put on display. As younger I was a fashionista but today it's casual clothing & comfort that counts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tend to agree with you on simplicity being just beautiful! Love seeing the fashions. And my heart is sad for all those affected by violence all over the world these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make good sense.
    The dress choices to exhibit are wow worthy. The red and white stripe is adorable and classy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is saddened once again by the latest terrorist attacks blighting my homeland this weekend, thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers for those murdered and grievously injured in London and Saturday night.
    This exhibition looks and sounds marvellous, I would love to have seen it. Although I never quite took to Princess Margaret (despite being named after her!)that red and white striped Dior dress must have looked amazing on her, Diana of course could do no wrong in my eyes and the Queen, well she's just the Queen and we love her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely to see your photos of Kensington Palace and the exhibition of Royal clothes which I did not manage to visit - it is hard to believe that it is 20 years ago this August that the Princess of Wales died.
    I have been feeling the same as you about posting following yet another tragic attack on our streets, but you are right, we cannot allow their perverted views to blight our demoncracy or our freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was lovely to read your post today and found it so uplifting in such troubled times. Such beautiful dresses, an exhibition I would love to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO glad you posted this today for many reasons. First and foremost it just reiterates what so many of love about England and why we are so saddened by this latest senseless attack.
    But also it focuses on beauty which we all need more of. Such a treat. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a wonderful and positive post about the exhibition, details, aspects seen and admired there, too! Also, so lovely said by you:" I think it is important to carry on as normally as possible. Let's be loving and kind to each other."
    Thanks for sharing this positive point of view!
    Have a nice and sunny new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed seeing the fashion and your comments. Fashion is a challenge for me and I follow the simple is best advice. And good of you to do this post in light of the weekend-- life as normal as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what an interesting display - the ideas that are generated in designers' heads always amaze me - and gardens are such wonderful places to visit. Lovely post. I see we are set for some days of sunshine - already it is bright a beautiful - and the hummingbirds are busy at the feeders. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you followed your heart and posted this. The weekend's events have left us all with another huge hole in our hearts. The British families directly affected as well as all of Britain are in my thoughts and prayers.
    I agree with the code of fashion. It makes sense. Thanks for sharing a bit of your visit. I would like to see the exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lorrie, Thanks for sharing this royal dresses. It was very interesting and educational. Have a great week. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lorrie, I enjoyed your fashion post. Fun! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed seeing these beautiful fashions, and reading your thoughts on royal fashion. Those are good, common sense rules. I am not a fashion maven by any means, but I do try to dress appropriately and neatly. Perhaps I could up my game with accessories. :)

    The red and white striped dress makes me swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could sure learn a lot...and do a lot better. We dress so casually here in Florida. Also, I'm reading a Spy mistress book by Rhys Bowen right now and they are always describing the dresses and outfits they wear in the 1930s...I love this author! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let me get this right...the series is the Royal Spyness series...mysteries with lots of humor. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bravo; I say perfect timing :) I am in the midst of watching "The Crown" for the 2nd time around : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lorrie - thank you for posting despite your reservations. We do need to keep living or they win! I will be traveling to the UK next week with several family members and we will engage in all our normal activities! Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, I think you were right to post this, Lorrie. Beauty always wins! Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was shocked and saddened to hear of the recent attacks in London. Too much hate in the world. We must try our best to share more love and kindness and like you said, Lorie, carry on with normal life as best we can.

    I enjoyed looking at these royal dresses--they are beautiful in different ways and a treasure for their time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy you had the courage to post. Have a good week

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed your post Lorrie. I think it's good to be aware of the trends but not to be a slave to them. The royal clothes were fun to see and to read about the thoughts in designing them. Hope your week is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those dresses are gorgeous. So sad what is happening almost daily in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You chose three beautiful gowns to showcase the rules Lorrie. The red & white striped dress could be perfect for our 150 Canada Day celebrations, don't you think? I'm feeling at quite a low with respect to my personal wardrobe these days ;)
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting post, Lorrie. Beautiful featured gowns...and yes, I agree with your take on the royal rules of fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so pleased you posted this, it was just lovely to see your photos of Kensington Palace and also the exhibition of all the Royal clothes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely and exquisite! Diana's dress is my favorite. Beautiful view through the amazing gates and pretty garden. My heart goes out to our brave London friends. xx K

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a lovely post Lorrie - the Rpyals aways have such splendid clothing. My mother made gowns for Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother back in the day - she was apprenticed to a Royal dressmaker in London.

    Sad days in London - visiting any of the European capitals has become somewhat disheartening when one has to be so alert for anything out of the ordinary. We will not be heading back to Europe again this year - the Italy trip went without any hitches but we just wouldn't feel totally safe in London right now. Thankfully all my UK family members are far away from the city - but must admit I was nervous for my several northern friends not far from Manchester!

    Thanks for sharing Kensington Palace - a lovely royal home with so much history attached.
    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love history and one of my early passions was fashion design. These dresses really show the different visions that designers can have... love the one of Diana's that mimicked cherry blossoms. Who knows what inspiration may lie beneath a design! So interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...