Thursday, November 06, 2008

Napkins and More


Last week was my birthday and then Saturday was our eldest daughter's birthday. We are all celebrating this coming weekend with our daughter-in-law as well, so presents were held off until the big bash. I'm not really sure about that...

Anyway, on Saturday I went out for a lunch/tea with the daughters (DIL is busy prettifying her new house and couldn't make it). And I thought...I want to give something to my daughter because after all, TODAY is her birthday.

I knew she was wanting a bread basket so I found this one at Ten Thousand Villages and then I made four napkins to go along with it. You can tell what her colours are! This was so much fun and she loved it. It's something to keep in mind for future gifts.

For the napkins, I used fabric in my stash (so I feel quite virtuous) and just cut 18 inch squares, turned the edges in twice, pressed them and stitched them. Easy peasy.

I'm using cloth napkins more and more these days. Here are some ways I like to use them.

1. As napkins...the obvious
2. As placemats
3. To wrap gifts - fasten with a pin or ribbon
4. To line a tray when serving tea or a meal in front of the television
5. As a tablemat underneath a candle or vase of flowers.
6. Lining bread baskets
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Very nice gift Lorrie. I just love going to Ten Thousand Villages...everything is so unique in their stores. You can find some pretty interesting items...

    The colour of the napkins is lovely.

    Have a great weekend!
    Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Wander Through my Mind

  Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush; Gerard Manley Hopkins When I opened my bedroom...