Thursday, April 19, 2018

Every Year is More Beautiful




Spring has shown her sweet side in the past two days. Sun mixed with cloud, no wind to speak of, and gentle warmth that pours like honey onto my head.

We walk, late afternoon or early evening, through house-lined streets where tulips and daffodils nod their pretty heads and airy riots of pink cover bare branches. 


Along the path through the woods creamy fawn lilies (Erythronium) shine like stars. Only by crouching low do we see the details of stamens and pistils. She's a shy flower that charms and entices the passerby to take a closer look. 


Miner's Lettuce (Montia Perfoliata) grows in these woods, too. An edible plant, its crunchy sweet leaves and stems make a fine salad. I pick just one round leaf from a plant growing on a steep bank, tucked into a tree stump where I know a dog wouldn't have graced with his presence. 


We stop to admire the magnificence of a magnolia tree in bloom for a few moments. 

"Everything is blooming most recklessly, if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of night," wrote Rainer Maria Rilke. Rather than shrieking, I rather think it would be music, a harmony of richness, tentative at first, then swelling into fullness. 


Returning home, I notice the rhododendron in the front garden that bloomed not at all last year is getting ready to put on a show.

How quickly the days and weeks and months pass. Term three is ended; one more to go. I love my job and interacting with students, but I'm pulled homewards, too. When I arrive home there's never enough time or energy to do the things I'd like to do. I know it's a matter of adjusting expectations, but I want it all.

John Burroughs wrote "I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read and all the friends I want to see." I'd like to teach for two more years and then retire. Again. 


In my garden the blueberries are forming flowers, each one, if pollinated, and watered, will grow into a round fat berry that will roll into my bucket with a little tug of my fingers.


A little patch, very small, of violets has seeded itself under a rosebush. I hope it spreads a little more each year. 

I feel a little blue just now, for no reason in particular. I've been thinking about people I love who are hurting, and of the uncertainty of life. I find some comfort in Tolkien's words, 

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." 


Rosemary in bloom in the late afternoon sunshine. 

I've always found the book of Psalms comforting. David wrote so honestly about his feelings. He whined, complained, grouched, despaired, and then turned towards his God. "All my longings lie open before you, O Lord; my sighing is not hidden from you" he writes. How comforting to be known.  


What a rambling post this has turned out to be. It's like a rather aimless walk. I'll close here with a question for you. When blue days come, what do you do? 

26 comments:

  1. Spring is such a wonderful magical time. When blue days come I like to listen to music, ride my horse, go for a walk, quilt, talk to my sister, pray, read scriptures and cuddle with my honey. But what really puts a smile on my face is Face Timing with my grandchildren. They're the best kind of sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect our seasons are very closely matched. Clumps of white, yellow, and pink Erythroniums are now flowering in my garden along with the snakeshead fritillaries, and violets in the lawn - I love all of their little faces so much.
    On a blue day I simply want to make the most of it, smile, enjoy it, but often it will encourage me to do a large wash to hang in the fresh air, and tidy up a bit of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I have the blues I generally turn to a craft project, which is usually for a family member so thoughts change to them and all is well with the world. Your signs of Spring were a delight to see, such beautiful beginnings. I love the Psalms, I have a journal bible so am illustrating them at the moment another way to lift spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:31 AM

    what a beautiful and inspirational post,, its ok to feel blue sometimes , if we didn't have some sadness we would never truly feel the glow of happiness! I believe its all a balance but we must only allow a little sadness, there is always happiness to be found! Look at those violets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When blue days come I don't do much. Sit it out. Or I try to distract myself. Luckily blue days are not that often. Wonderful photos Lorrie.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photography is always so calming...

    When my sister was here on Wednesday, I peered at her looking for something on her face
    that I had found on my own...flying buttresses on either side of the nose. I didn’t find them on
    her face and not for lack of trying either! I shared my concern and she asked if I didn’t find
    each new day an adventure in aging. The answer is yes, of course, but I don’t have to like it.
    All this to face each day and on my own. Course, I am never alone; it just often feels as
    if I am. It’s why I appreciate Goudge’s writing and her advice to run to God in the middle of
    whatever it may be. I talk it over with Him and I don’t leave out the ugly parts. David, the
    whiner, complainer, murderer, and adulterer was also the man after God’s own heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the first flowers of spring must be the most beautiful I think. Enjoy! and thank you for stopping by my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flower photos are beautiful. It's funny that I didn't recognize the blueberry blooms when I just saw some yesterday. They look so pretty up close. The blues...usually I talk to my hubby or sweet cousin. I think that helps...or makes me feel so low that I cry. Either way, it passes. I'm not sure there's any way to avoid those blue feelings either. And working through or giving in...not sure that either one makes them pass faster. Maybe you need a hug! HUGS and HUGS, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rambling, yes. But so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos. Lovely post. What do I do when blue days come? Wait. Just wait and accept that they are a necessary part of me and that they will pass as they always do. Sunshine and spring flowers always help too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GOrgeous photos my friend. So glad Spring is arriving in all of its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely post Lorrie. The pictures are beautiful and so is the thoughtful writing. David is my favorite Bible character exactly for those reasons; he's real and honest and human, but like Vee says, he was a man after God's own heart. Well, what do I do when I'm blue? I wrote a book about that. I guess I'd say be gentle with yourself. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful color in your photos -- and wisdom in your words. The psalms are such a comfort and a gift to us and to help us bring God glory. I don't get many blue days, but when I do, I just shift through them the best I can, one foot forward at a time. And try to be easy on myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness for all the beautiful sights at the moment, it helps to negate some of the horrific news around the world. I too take solace in my garden on world weary days. Enjoy your weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought this was a lovely post.
    So good to see all of your flowers and that magnolia is a wonderful colour.

    I do my best not to have blue days, but of course they do happen ... it's part of life's rich pattern. Thinking positive thoughts, enjoying the beauty that is around us, giving loved ones a hug ... always makes me feel lifted.

    Sending my good thoughts.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely post, Lorrie. As usual, your photos are wonderful. Spring has been a long time coming this year, hasn't it?

    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling blue. I don't have a lot of blue days, but like everyone else, I have my share. I often end up talking things over with my husband, praying, or just pondering. This, too, shall pass.

    Warm hugs to you,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lorrie - sunshine always makes me feel better, especially if it has 'warmth that pours like honey on my head.' What a spectacular turn of phrase! I look for something to make me laugh ... and I listen to instrumental music, such as Native American wind instruments - I find them very soothing. Going for a walk is definitely a solid strategy for me. I hope in these comments and those of others you find some ideas that can be helpful. And in the meantime, can I just say that the close-up of the rhodie is brilliant????

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all your pics. So very pretty. And for your question, I really dont have any but if I do, I have a good cry and then I organize something...lol Hang in there! :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  19. The beginning of this year has been a sad one for us with many losses. It has made me reflect on what my blessings truly are and to make me appreciate the smallest joys more profoundly. It is so easy to take things fro granted until one realizes how easily they can be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos and your thoughts resonate with me. I should retire again but I do enjoy the children. I have no grandchildren so I miss the little ones. Our sadnesses do come and go like the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mostly, I bear them. And ignore them. On a rare occasion, indulge them. I have found this menopausal time of life to be full of blue days. One particular bout was the deepest sadness I'd ever felt. That is unwarranted sadness, not about the losses I've had. I think it's all lessening now at 54.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I also want to add, that I have to believe you are opening an awe and wonder to your students too. They may not reveal it now, but how could your appreciation for life and the small things not affect them? You may not get to do what you want, but you are helping others see what they didn't even know they wanted here on your blog and in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful post .... I need to frame Tolkein's words. Usually I go outside to take solace in nature and usually I make my blog my happy place; this week was somewhat of an exception .

    ReplyDelete
  24. I usually buy a bouquet of flowers at the market when I am blue. Even when I have flowers in the garden just adding to the beauty with the market flowers lifts my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  25. "A little blue, for no reason in particular" are words sure to resonate with many. So many people, of all ages and situations, seem to be feeling a bit off balance just now, a bit uncertain. I hope they will all, like you, find bright spots in each day to cheer them on.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Blue days often sap my mental energy, and sometimes I do the easiest reading, of blog posts, including some of my old ones. Surprisingly often they cheer me up, as I see the goodness of God in those stories.

    Gardening always cheers me up, but on low days I usually don't feel like making the effort to start those tasks. But if something demands to be done in the garden, and then I do one more thing.... it all can lead to a big pick-me-up!

    There are some blue days that are just lived through, trying to ignore the blues and not be lazy; then I try to go to bed early and plan to start the next day early and rested.

    I hope your own recent Blue Day is a thing of the distant past by now. May God bless and strengthen you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...