Five on Friday
1. October has shown herself quite changeable, but pleasantly so. A day or two of cloud and rain is followed by several days of clear skies where night time temperatures dip to several degrees above freezing and the sun warms the afternoons with golden light. Who can complain about that?
In my garden, the dahlias, zinnias, roses, and marigolds continue to bloom prolifically. The fig tree leaves are paling, and drop yellow to the ground to soon curl and shrink into crispy brown clumps.
Every few days I pick a couple of handfuls of fresh raspberries, so good with our morning yogurt. Kale and Swiss Chard are flourishing.
2. We celebrated Thanksgiving with a family dinner on Sunday afternoon. Here the three littles are getting ready to eat their pie. When I appeared with the camera, they said, "Happy Thanksgiving" instead of "cheese." For some indecipherable reason, one said it with his eyes closed.
3. Monday was drizzly and grey. We pulled on our rain gear and drove out to East Sooke Park for a hike along the coast trail. Sea blended mutely into sky. There were a number of fishing boats out on the water, and a few other hikers on the trail, but the peace was palpable.
4. We sat at Beechey Head to eat our lunch of cheese, crackers, vegetables, apples, and chocolate. It feels so luxurious to pour a steaming mug of hot tea in that setting, and it tastes so good.
While we munched and sipped on our perch high above the water, gulls glided silently below us. A trio of sleek sea lions swam purposefully across our field of vision, intent on some goal. Later, a pair of snub-nosed seals followed them. In the distance a tug pulled along an enormous barge. A whale blew and breached in the distance and then disappeared with a flick of her tail. Waves rushed noisily upon the rocks below, flinging up white spray before dying back into calm.
5. This miniature scene grew in a damaged arbutus tree - three tiny fungi, a bit of moss, and some curls of red bark. Do you think that perhaps the fairies had a party here?
Like Anne of Green Gables, "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."
How is your October shaping up?
Linking with Friday Bliss, hosted by Riitta of Floral Passions.