Friday, March 29, 2019

Blossoms and Thoughts on Friday



This has been a lovely spring break. One week away and one week at home. I confess to having made a fairly long list of things to do during this second week, but few of them have been accomplished. 

There's been a little gardening, some sewing, a lot of reading, and definitely more daydreaming than usual. Tim was gone for a couple of days and when he's not around I tend to stay up too late reading and then drag around the next day.


Wandering around one of the many gardens in our city was on the list. Government House, where the Lieutenant Governor lives has beautiful gardens open to the public. (The LG is an appointed position as the provincial representative of our Monarch, Queen Elizabeth II.)

It was a glorious day, full of sunshine with wispy clouds in the distance, the chirp of birds, and lots of blossoms to admire. I wandered along the pathways, stopping to watch squirrels play peekaboo with me, and smiling at a few other walkers. 


Off to one side of the property the fence is broken by one wall of a wooden building adjoining the grounds. Although I wanted to take a good look into the windows, I thought better of it, but from a distance it looks to be a gardening shed. The gnarled tree just beginning to bloom, an apple variety, perhaps, certainly looks well there. 


I tried a new recipe one night. Chicken breast halves, sliced cross-ways not quite through, with alternating slices of mozzarella cheese and fresh tomatoes inserted, then pesto spooned and spread over top. I baked those at 375 for about 20 minutes, then added broccoli drizzled with olive oil and salt, along with the leftover tomato slices to the pan and continued baking for another 15-20 minutes. It was easy and very good. I based the recipe off of this one from Eating Well.  Theirs looks better than mine...


Here in my own garden the pear tree is in bloom. I've seen few pollinators around, though, so I hope they are there when I'm not looking. Daffodils nod happily in the sunshine. Muscari stand sturdy. Hyacinths, blue, pink, and white waft their sweetness in the air. Tulips are mere leaves as yet. Green leaves sprout all over the hydrangeas and lilacs. It's a riot of life out there. 

Today there's laundry to do and a little cleaning. A regular physio appointment at noon, and sadly, a memorial service for a church friend, then a birthday celebration for Tim with family. 

I took the picture of Tim and our three children and put it up on Facebook. A few people wondered about the photographer behind the photo, so I added my own face in there, too, as a bit of a joke. 


A couple of weeks ago our Vancouver family was over and we had dinner together. It was just before spring break began and Tim and I were leaving the next day, so I told everyone we would just order pizza and I'd make a salad. 

Well, I got to thinking about other options and ended up making Greek meatballs, rice, a big salad, and lots of roasted vegetables, along with a raspberry cheesecake for dessert. 

The change of menu plan did not come as a surprise to my children, who know me all too well. One couple said they had placed bets on whether or not the pizza would actually happen; another said they wondered how long I had held out, and so on. They teased me unmercifully. What can I say? I like to cook. Besides, there were things in the fridge that needed to be used up before we went away. 

So for tonight, there will DEFINITELY be pizza!

20 comments:

  1. I can umagine it wasnt too much of a struggle for you to change your mind! I have often said 'We'll have a simple meal today'...and ended up doing something much more interesting, and been pleased that I did.
    What a happy family photo of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A joy to see the blossom. The chicken dish looks tasty, we have been eating a lot of chicken of late. Such a lovely family photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m the same , I like to cook too. Just had my regular Friday night dinner where I cook for all the family. Always fun. Sounds like you’ve had the perfect two weeks with lots of sunshine. We too have a LG who lives in government house. Lots of similarities with our two homes I guess. Have a lovely weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this time of year the many different blooms and the blossom - just lovely to see. Also lovely to see was your family photograph …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic family photo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the family collage. Do you never use your timer option? Do people say that your son and daughter with bangs look very like you and daughter beside her dad looks very like him? It’s fun to see the resemblances in families.

    Your spring is far ahead of mine... Story of my life. 😁

    Your second week of vacation sounded idyllic. And just think...there’s still the weekend to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is such a joy to see the Spring flowers back again - now we know that from now on our months will be filled with flowers.
    Belated happy birthday to Tim - hope you all had a special time together, and what a lovely photo of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a lovely family photo! That chicken looks like something I will try when I get home. I'm interested in sheet pan dinners. Happy birthday to your husband. Enjoy the week-end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Beautiful flowers and such a good looking family! Happy birthday to your husband! Oh my that chicken looks so good , you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute family photo and I enjoyed the non pizza story. I'd be the same way. Your cooking substitute sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindas flores. Feliz domingo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blossoms of the pear tree are beautiful. Do they smell divine? And so many other things to enjoy and relate to in your chatty post, I enjoyed it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful spring photos and a lovely family portrait! I found especially interesting how much your grandchildren remind their parents. :)
    The second thought that came to my mind (and not for the first time) was that your cooking must be one of the things that makes your family so happy.
    Wishing you delightful April days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lorrie - such a lovely uplifting post - I needed that after my week of turmoil and concern regarding Jasmin's accident etc.
    Belated HB to Tim - the photo is fab - your kids are delightful, and of course we already knew how beautiful their mom is but glad you popped in there!
    Hugs- Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your break sounds perfect. Love the family photo. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet family photo. Gotta love Photoshop!

    I'm never as productive as I think I'll be when I'm off from work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your chicken recipe looks and sounds delicious! As does your pizza substitute meal, so funny that your kids know you so well. It sounds as if you thoroughly enjoyed your spring break and I'm glad that you didn't finish everything on your list as you are probably all the better for it. I love seeing the family portrait! You are all so beautiful and glowing with good health!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lorrie - you have a fine looking family. I am sure their teasing was loving and well-intentioned. It sounds like cooking is one of your love languages … and they certainly would not want you to stop expressing it!!! Enjoy your week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful way to spend your spring break! I tend to stay up late reading/blogging too if my husband is not home, and then the next day is not so productive, lol! I had to smile at your pizza scenario and the beautiful meal you cooked! It feels good to use things up in the fridge! Your family picture is wonderful, love how you inserted yourself into the photo :) I hope you had a lovely remainder of the weekend, and a good start to your Monday today :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...