Saturday, March 23, 2019

Circling Spring Break



Some of the names and geography of the west coast of Canada can be confusing. For example, we live on Vancouver Island, but the City of Vancouver is on the mainland. The mainland coast is a tangled line that curls around deeply cut fjords and rocky islands of all sizes. The area known as the Sunshine Coast, on the mainland, is accessible only by ferry. 

Last weekend, Tim and I drove north on our island (Vancouver Island) to catch a ferry back to the Sunshine Coast. We spent a few days in Powell River, then took another ferry to Earl's Cove for some more vacation time, then a ferry to Vancouver. We drove through the city to catch yet another ferry, our usual one, back to Victoria. We made a circle. Ferry, car, ferry, car, ferry, car, and so on.



What can I say - it was a spectacular trip! Cloudless blue skies, calm seas, comfortable lodgings, good food, and lots of walking. 


Lakes versus ocean. It's a hard choice. I grew up with lakes - our family went camping and fishing, but I've come to love the ocean, as well. I don't have to make a choice, do I? 



The catkins are forming on the trees, but we didn't see many new leaves until we returned home. 



On one of our ferry rides, from Saltery Bay to Earl's Cove, I just couldn't stay inside. I went out on deck and found a sweet spot where I was mostly sheltered from the wind caused by the ferry movement and I drank in the beauty all around me.


Mountains pierced the blue sky while small rocky islands drowsed in the morning sun. White gulls caught the light as they flew against the backdrop of fir and pine forests. It was achingly beautiful.


One day we hiked to Skookumchuck Narrows, famous for its rapids and whirlpools caused by the twice-daily tide change where the difference in height between one side of the rapids and the other can sometimes equal 9 feet. The Narrows draws thrill-seekers from around the globe to kayak and dive here.

The only divers were saw were a large raft of Barrow's Goldeneye sea ducks riding the currents, bobbing, ducking, splashing, having great fun.



We visited Gibsons Landing, where the 1970-80s CBC production The Beachcombers was filmed. That series brought many people to the area, and the town pays homage to the show with displays of the boat, photos of the actors, and a restaurant named Molly's Reach, modeled after the one in the show.  
  

Another day we walked into Smuggler Cove, a place we visited by boat in the summer of 2016. This was our last full day and pale wisps of cloud streaked the sky, signaling the end of the clear blue.

Now we're home. This morning I went out for groceries and I'm catching up on laundry. Several trees on our street burst into bloom while we were away and I look out my window to see clouds of pink and white blossoms. So pretty. I'm itching to get out into the garden and that's where I'm headed this afternoon. 

Linking with Mosaic Monday, hosted by Angie of Letting Go of the Bay Leaf.

Note: I'm working on my blog layout and am having a terrible time with the sidebar gadgets overlapping the text. I've removed them for now - anyone know how to fix this? I've tried the CSS code available online, but that doesn't seem to be working.  





33 comments:

  1. What perfect spring break weather! There is so much lovely scenery on the coast but you're right lakes have their own beauty. I grew up visiting Cultus and Okanagan lakes but they are both so developed now. Enjoy the rest of the break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter lived on the Sunshine coast for a year, and I visited her there. I thought it was so lovely, and even took myself off to Gibsons landing for lunch one day. Happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your time in Powell River. We came here in 2000 on an airplane camping vacation and the rest is history, so to speak. We just got home to our float cabin today after two months down in the States. This is the first year we've played at being Snowbirds. Arizona was fun and sunny, but there's nothing like home. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos! Such vivid blues. I shall remain hopelessly confused about the geography. I have learned the difference between Vancouver the city and Vancouver the island. It’s only taken me a few years. I’m so glad that you and Tim got away. So needed from time to time. Is it true that you have another week’s break from school?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lorrie, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your beautiful photos of the western coast of Canada. Living in Maine, we have only visited the eastern provinces but have friends in Vancouver and do hope to get out there someday. It's definitely on the bucket list. Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an absolutely wonderful trip--round and round she goes!! Love it. I am torn between lakes and oceans,too,but think the ocean wins out. The parts of Canada that I have seen are absolutely beautiful. I have a good friend that lives in British Columbia and I could not believe how beautiful that area was when I saw it for the first time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. My, my, my what a beautiful post. I so enjoyed my visit and gazing at your lovely photos. I'm never been to Vancouver Island, maybe some day. Thank you for allowing me to tag along on your vacation, it was a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful trip with so many gorgeous views. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you gave the name of those beautiful ducks, aren't they gorgeous! You live in such a land of beauty, Lorrie. When you wrote that it "was achingly beautiful" that is exactly what I think when you post these pictures. That pic of the tall conifers glistening in the sunshine surrounded by sea is breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely trip! I am glad you had such nice weather. Your photos are just wonderful. Wish I could help with your sidebar problem, but I haven't a clue. I haven't changed the basics of my blog in 11 years so I am at a loss. I hope someone can aid you. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete
  11. You live in such s gorgeous area - I always love visiting you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your description of "achingly beautiful" was spot on, Lorrie! I actually got goosebumps in oohing and ahhing over your photos. What a beautiful area you live and enjoy. Happy Spring break to you!
    Good luck with your blog. I am not very tech savvy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A perfect getaway journey! Achingly beautiful it is.... just incredibly lovely. And what a fun way to travel... circle trips are the best and the ferries really made it magic! I would want to be out on the deck as much as possible, even though I hate being cold. Glad you found a sheltered nook.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ...lots of beautiful blues in your neck of the woods! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lorrie - thanks for kicking off Mosaic Monday this week in fine style. When I read the title, I had to wonder what it means … now I get it! So glad you had good weather for your vacation, and it made for some lovely reflections in the water. I have to say my favorite is smuggler's cove! Sorry that I cannot help with the layout issue … hopefully someone else will come to your aid!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely stunning blue views and great bird photos! Happy MM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luv clouds, but your cloudless skies are too amazing
    Happy Monday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello, gorgeous views of the coast and the mountains! What a lovely place to live or visit. Your photos are beautiful! Enjoy your day! Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree, fantastic captures... happy MosaicMonday

    ReplyDelete
  20. It really is hard to work on our blogs. I guess the widths are messing things up but it's hard to get it just right. LOVE your fun trip. I grew up spending time at the lake and love it still. I'm just about ready to learn to fish again...I think! Love that Golden Eye...how amazing! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It sounds like you had a wonderful get away. It's hard to believe it's spring break already when it seems you were just going back to school after Christmas. I think I know how to fix your problem but I could never explain it. Maybe you could get some online help--or google it?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Spring! Your photos are achingly beautiful, Lorrie! Those jagged peaked mountains are magnificent.
    We took a boat ride around some of Puget Sound and up towards Vancouver a couple years ago an found it so mesmerizing. We would love to return to see more of the islands and shoreline in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful beautiful beautiful----we do live in a wonderful area---even though I am a bit south of you. Sweet picture of the little rocky island
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  24. Spectacular indeed! Thanks for the geography lesson, I was completely clueless. It looks like a wonderful break. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful images! Glad you had a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You had the perfect week to tour so close to home. Beautiful weather to enjoy the beauty. Creation calls. It's truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a glorious trip you took. Love seeing all these beautiful photos of what you saw! I understand the way behind on visiting blogs while you spend time away from your normal digs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You must have had a relaxing time. Thank you for explaining about the geography of the region and about the ferry system that's needed to get about. Beautiful photos! Now you're home I trust that you're having a different, but good week.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow... what amazing landscape. I enjoyed your post.
    Wish you a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lake over Ocean any day!!! I love all those gorgeous photos and thanks for the Canada explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lorrie you truly captured such lovely moments. I adore the shot of the Goldeneye ducks. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your photographs are an absolute joy to see.
    A lovely post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...