Friday, May 08, 2020

A Friday Five in May



Outside my window the sky is streaked with a few thin clouds that will soon blow away with the strong breeze that has trees and flowers tossing their heads. The forecast is for a beautiful weekend, with temperatures reaching the mid-20s (Celsius). 

I expect that the wind will tear away the almost-ready-to-fall tulip petals. With that likelihood, I went out with my camera to capture the last of these gorgeous flowers. 


There's a glimpse of that blue sky. Is it just me or has this been an exceptionally beautiful spring? Everything seems fresher and lovelier and more vibrant. I revel in the beauty of the world. 


Last weekend, Tim and I took a drive down to Clover Point and went for a short, but brisk walk. The wind was sharp and chill. This gull faced into the wind, flapped vigorously, and went nowhere; he just managed to stay aloft. 

Our province, and particularly our Island, has passed relatively lightly through the Covid-19 crisis. I say relatively because there have been deaths, but our hospitals are mostly empty and positive cases are fewer each day. The restrictions here have not been as strong as in other places - we are encouraged to get out and walk, garden centres are open, some retail stores remained open, we are not wearing masks (unless we want to), and social distancing is mostly respected. 

We can begin to gather with our close loved ones, and are encouraged to keep our circles tight. In mid-May provincial parks will be open for day-use, and more retail stores will open. These are slow measures, and I respect the care that our provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, is taking. There will be no gatherings of over 50 people until there is a vaccine, or herd immunity has been achieved. In other words, for a long time. We will all have to adjust to a new normal. 


Rhubarb is flourishing these days, and to that end I baked a Brown Butter Rhubarb Cake. The recipe is on Jean's Delightful Repast blog, and is one I make every year. It's not too sweet, with a bit of tartness, and a lovely buttery flavour. Perfect with a cup of tea. I confess that I had a piece as my breakfast the other day. 


In the parade of flowers that is Spring, the tulips are nearing the end of the route while the lilacs are front and center. This bouquet adorns the dining room table and fills the main floor with fragrance. 


I'll leave you with one last blithe tulip at the start of this Mother's Day weekend. We are gathering with our family for the first time since March, and oh, how I am anticipating that.

A blessing for you today, prayed from my heart:

"May the day never burden. May the dawn find you awake and alert, approaching your new day with dreams, possibilities, and promises. May evening find you gracious and fulfilled. May you go into the night blessed, sheltered, and protected. May your soul be calm, consoled, and renewed." 

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful as always Lorrie. I can almost smell that lilac and can't wait to try the rhubarb cake recipe. How lucky you are to be able to meet up with your family soon and to go out for a drive and then a walk and not feel guilty!! I can't wat for some things and others I now realise don't matter at all. I do hope that we will all come out of this situation wiser and having learned things we didn't know we needed to learn!! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks delicious and I think I could smell the scent of the lilac, gorgeous.
    Thank you for the prayer.. Blessings for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful photos and words, Lorrie. You are an artist in every way.

    The cake looks scrumptious and I will have to try it when our rhubarb comes up.

    So happy you can get together with family this weekend. What a blessed Mother's Day weekend it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Mother"s Day to All!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! I can almost smell those lilacs. Glad to hear that your location faired not too bad. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That will be lovely for you to be with your family. My children will come over on Sunday but we will still stay apart. Have a wonderful weekend. Happy Mother's Day! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Obviously your spring is more advanced than ours in Manitoba . We have had only a few nice days, so I'm still waiting for that true spring feeling. Love the lilacs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the mix of tulips in the wind, lilacs on the dining table, and that brown butter rhubarb cake. Perfect for a Friday afternoon.

    Happy Weekend...glad you'll be able to spend it with family.
    Brenda xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good that somewhere there has been a beautiful spring. 🌷 We are expecting snow this weekend of all things. In May! I am not amused. Our governor is something of a tyrant so it is unlikely, though Maine is near the lowest end of difficulties from Covid-19, that we shall see the light of day until after the election or later. I am praying for her; she needs some Heavenly guidance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring this year has been perfect here - everyday the sun seems to shine, but soon we shall be shouting out for rain. Apparently we have had the most sun during April ever according to all of the records.
    I think the fact that many of us are enjoying such lovely weather is making lockdown far easier for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful prayer and images to relish. A happy Mother's day weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely blooms! The weather has been wonderful this May. I saw lupines on the dyke tonight. Enjoy your Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful prayer of blessing! Oh, it has been a lovely spring here. We have had our share of rain, but in between were sun-drenched days and moderate temps and so much color (and color that seems to last a while). Could it be that we have appreciated these spring days more with our slower pace? Or was it truly a more springier spring?

    Enjoy gathering with your loved ones this weekend! It has been a long time coming!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lorrie, what a magnificent sentence is your "I revel in the beauty of the world"! I could take that for my inspiration for the day but must also take your blessing for us at the close of the post. I've written it down and will text it to my children tomorrow. I confess that I may have been falling down on the gracious in the evening part. Ouch!

    Your tulips have their own beauty even at the end of their day. And your province's guidelines seem saner than most.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Again that rhubarb cake sounds delicious.
    Love tulips that are past their prime, so pretty.
    Our lilacs are almost finished too.
    Oregon has actually done fairly well. We did have to cancel our tea festival for this summer, which I am a part of. Our governor said no more than 25 gathering together through the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Lorrie,
    I can almost smell your beautiful lilacs from here. We are beginning to catch up with garden blooms and fruit trees ablaze with snowy blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish I could grow lilacs here. Have always loved them, such a fragrance, and grew them in England as a child, then in New England when living there, but they just don't do well here because of the hot summers.
    Lovely post Lorrie - hope you are well.
    Hugs - Mary
    P.S. I must search for rhubarb soon - to go with all the fabulous strawberries this spring! Strawberry rhubarb pie - or perhaps muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Visiting you today after too long an absence, your flowers are beautiful. So happy to hear that you and your family are staying healthy and will be able to be together on this special day.
    Maggie Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Mother's Day, Lorrie!

    BC has done a great job handling the pandemic. I'm also looking forward to being permitted to socialize with my family again.

    I think our provincial parks will also be opening next weekend, but only for day use.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It’s been a cold spring but it’s been lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so jealous that you have things blooming and growing..but, jealousy aside, how beautiful!!! We have not had a good spring here and nothing is blooming yet- the grass has finally greened up in the past week so that makes me happy.
    I hope you have had a wonderful Sunday Mother's Day- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely lovely prayer. Im saving that one!!! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. A wonderful Five, Lorrie!
    I believe that we notice the beauty (of the creation) around us more when we become older, but I must say that when I see photos of plants blooming in Italy now, I feel this spring has been exceptional. Here where I live... it was snowing all yesterday. :)
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your cake looks wonderful, Lorrie! Wish I could join you. My oldest son, DIL, and two granddaughters brought dinner over on Friday for an early Mother's Day. I went to my daughter's (my oldest child) and SIL's on Mother's Day and sat by their pool. This coming weekend I will go to my youngest son's, and DIL's to celebrate again. It's nice to be with family!! I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The cake looks so delicious …
    Your flowers are beautiful …

    Thank you for sharing the blessing, wonderful words.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

A Bit of This and That

  Off in the distance Mount Baker, in the USA, gleams in the sunlight. My best guess is that it's about 100 km away as the crow flies. T...