Thursday, May 21, 2020

It's Friday - A Short Boating Excursion



 "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame (Wind in the Willows)

Last weekend, as restrictions began to ease, we launched the boat and spent a quiet and relaxing couple of nights on the water, just an hour away from home. The weather alternated between rain and cloud, cloud and rain, with a very few patches of blue sky here and there. On Friday evening, before the weather worsened, we hopped into the dinghy and toured along the shoreline. It was very peaceful until the Canada Geese decided we were coming too close and honked loudly to warn others of our proximity. 


This was our view the next morning. Still, with soft rain falling. No matter, we were cozy and dry, and enjoyed a good breakfast and cups of tea and coffee long into the morning. There was no rush to do much of anything. 


When the rain eased we stirred ourselves and took the dinghy to shore, beaching it on the sand and tying the painter to a driftwood log before setting off on a hike through the forest. 


We stopped and watched a variety of wildlife, including this group of fat seals lounging on the rocks. A pair of seal pups had enough of the inactivity. They played together like a pair of young boys, splashing and wrestling. The repeated whacks of their tails on the water echoed far. 

A pair of oyster-catchers poked along the inter-tidal zone with their long red beaks. From the boat that evening we watched seven river otters fishing for their supper. Down they went into the water, then up into the air with their catch wriggling until - gulp - down the gullet it went. Over and over the sleek otters dove and rose until, satisfied, they melted away into the dusk. 



This pair of geese appear to be having a disagreement. The one on the left was quite vocal as he/she marched off in the opposite direction. 


In 1958 Portland Island was given to Princess Margaret, our Queen's sister, to commemorate her visit to our province. She returned it in 1967 and it is now a park. But long before then First Nations peoples had a village here. In the mid-late 1800s Hawaiians settled here, planting orchards and gardens. There is little that remains, but in the abandoned orchard a pair of bright goldfinches caught my eye. 


Weathered pieces of sea glass always catch my eye and I pick them up to add to my collection here at home. 

We returned home on Sunday, with Monday a holiday here to commemorate Queen Victoria's birthday. I worked in the garden most of the day. It's starting to fill out and soon we will be enjoying more homegrown vegetables. The first strawberries are turning red and I did eat one luscious ripe juicy fruit. 

It's been another week of distance teaching. Students will have the option to return to school as of June 1, but it's unlikely that many of those in the high school will choose that option. 

We're looking forward to some family time this coming weekend, including a visit from our Vancouver people. Little Miss Iris is coming and I can hardly wait to see her. She's almost one and so much fun via Skype! Seeing her in person will be so much more fun! 

Have a great weekend, friends. 

29 comments:

  1. That looks so tranquil - I am a little envious!! Your photos are always stunning and I could imagine being on board your boat looking out at the evening falling and the dampness outside whilst I was cosy inside. I can't think why it was so inviting as I don't like being on the water unless I am close to the shore and even on the ferry to the Isle of Wight I am hanging on tight and saying is it much further!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tranquil and a good change of scenery.

      Delete
  2. What a perfect way to escape lockdown. Being on the water is very calming, especially when you have such interesting things to see. I can't remember the last time I saw an otter, maybe in France. The geese did look rather fed up with each other, maybe they have been in lockdown too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was calming. We were surprised to see so many otters at once. There must have been a lot of little fish around.

      Delete
  3. Tekne turlarına gitmeyi özledim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you go boating! Such beauty where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely break for you! The photos capture the spirit of the coast. Enjoy your visit with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love to see your boating trips.

    What a happy weekend you'll have seeing your sweet baby! I was so surprised when you said she was almost one year old! Wow! My youngest granddaughter will be one in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this year is going by very quickly! I remember that we had grandchildren around the same time last year.

      Delete
  7. Return to school June 1? Does that mean you will have to teach all summer? Here, they (whoever they are) are saying that all teachers over 60 must retire. They will no longer be welcome in the classroom. I am most dismayed by this age discrimination that has resulted from the pandemic. Well, there are lots of issues that arise, aren't there?

    Your getaway was perfection. It is so like you to want to explore the islands and woods. I prefer exploring houses, castles, and old churches. 🙂 I enjoyed reading about Princess Margaret's island. Do those old orchards ever produce fruit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a mix of exploring possibilities, but old houses, castles and churches are rather hard to come by in this part of the world. That's what I enjoy so much about going to Europe.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely time away on your boat. Looks very relaxing. How very nice to look forward to your Vancouver family coming for a visit. Little Miss Iris will enjoy being at your place I'm sure. Enjoy. This will be our long weekend but these days every weekend is a long weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photographs! The water is perfect for a painting.
    It is sad in a way, a part of Canada could be given to anyone not born there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy your visit with Miss Iris - it will be so special for you both to see her once again in person.
    It is such a worry about the students and younger pupils - I really do hope that this awful period doesn't create any detrimental educational problems for them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your little time away sounds so lovely. Peaceful too.
    You must be looking forward so much to having family visit this weekend. Our grown kids and grands all live right here in Abbotsford and we see each other often. ( With the exception of one daughter who works at the hospital and visits outside with us and maintains distance for obvious reasons).

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely photos. I can almost smell that wonderful sea air. We are getting ready for graduation with distancing. Take care and enjoy your visit. 😊 Kit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for taking us along on your boat ride!

    The Ontario schools are staying closed for the rest of the school year. Enjoy your visit with your granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you know how to have a fun and relaxing time. Being out in nature has a way of bringing refreshment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How peaceful and calm your time spent on the water looked, such a wonderful way to relax, take some exercise and contemplate life. Excellent wildlife shots as always, loved the one of the Canadian geese having a "domestic"! Have fun with the family, enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your nature views, Lorrie. How I'd love to cruise along with you. how exciting to spend family time and to see your darling Iris!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Lorrie,
    What a luxury to have a beautiful boat and the scenery to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you are enjoying family time. Your get away on the boat sounds so peaceful. What a lovely respite from life for a few days. Loved reading about the island given to Princess Margaret too. Fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love every moment with IRIS!~!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lorrie - so glad you have been able to get out on your boat. As your post demonstrates, there are some things that you are much more likely to see from a boat than from shore - such as those feasting otters. Terrific! I am sure that you have had fabulous family time this weekend, and I look forward to a post about Iris!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How lovely to get out on your boat.
    I thoroughly enjoyed all of your photographs.
    Have fun with the family and enjoy every moment, especially with Iris :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the boat quote! Every time I hear or read it, it makes me wish I had a boat so I could use it! And I guess you know that to a girl from Tennessee, the thought of living where you can watch seals play is about the same as seeing a unicorn would be.

    Lorrie, I thought of you and my other British Columbia blog friends when I was watching an old movie on TCM and after the movie there was one of those old travel shorts and they showed Victoria and Vancouver during it! And famous gardens that I can't remember the name of but lots of acreage. The film looked to be in late 30s or early 40s and was fascinating. You live in such a beautiful part of our world!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful pictures, thank you very much. I'm happy to see.
    When I'm at the sea I also pick up all the broken glass,
    they are so beautifully polished :-))
    Many greetings to you. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your outdoor scenes never fail to enthrall me, Lorrie...you live in such a beautiful area of the country. Thanks for taking us along with you & sharing your world.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...