Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Beside Lake Huron

 




We sped across the western provinces, intent on reaching Ontario. It was a bit of a surprise to me to cross the longitudinal meridian of Canada when we were in Manitoba. Halfway across Canada in four days was a bit of a marathon. 

In school geography class one thing every Canadian student learns is to draw the Canadian Shield, a wide band of rock around Hudson Bay. The TransCanada highway winds across and through rocks and lakes and trees that mark the landscape. 


We stopped at Kakebeka Falls for a night of camping and a couple of hours of hiking. Viewing platforms allow close access to the falls. A short trail led to another, smaller, but equally beautiful waterfall. 

We camped at Neys Provincial Park for one night and walked on the sand by Lake Superior. Unfortunately, hundreds of grasshoppers had the same idea. Every step a few of them hopped up as we passed. Leaving the beach we brushed them off of our pant legs. A wee bit unnerving. 

I’m writing this post by the shores of Lake Huron on a warm muggy afternoon made bearable by the cool breeze coming off the lake. We set out our chairs and are reading, a cool drink to hand. It’s lovely to just sit and relax after driving for so many days (6!).

Tomorrow we will be visiting friends in Toronto for a few days. 

I wasn't able to post until now, several days after our lovely time by Lake Huron. The above photo was our morning view of the lake, the water soft, the air misty, and the humidity high!

We're enjoying visiting with friends, connecting with a cousin, and seeing a bit of the countryside north of Toronto. We won't be going to the big city this trip. 

14 comments:

  1. Y'all are doing well to travel so far in a week. An adventure to remember whike it is happening. Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those falls look amazing. Whew...6 days on the road. Glad you can have a breather now. Sounds like an epic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful. To me it would be romantic in the large sense, to be on the shores of Lake Huron, I think because of only knowing it from novels, and its connection to the Huron Indians, and its being so far from my familiar places. You really did sprint across the continent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Kakabeka Falls and the long drive around Lake Superior when we visited Thunder Bay. Beautiful though. It’s a huge country. It sounds like a great adventure.

    I didn’t publish your email address. I will write though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You drove a lot on 6 days! I hope you are having good weather? I went to Toronto but did not stay long. I had a student from Toronto staying with us for a year.Enjoy your travel and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was really surprised to read this post and to realise that you had reached Toronto already. What an adventure you are both enjoying whilst travelling through so much incredible scenery.
    I visited my brother several times across the years in the north of Toronto, but very sadly I lost him earlier this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You truly are moving along at a fast clip dear Lorrie - and hopefully the grasshoppers wont be able to keep up with you!!!
    I haven't been up to Toronto for a few years - always fun. Are you going to Montreal and Quebec? I love those cities - so much to see and do and the history very interesting.
    May your safe travels continue - I know you and Tim will have a wonderful time seeing old friends and family members.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew. That's a lot of territory to traverse in such a short span. You're certainly capturing the beauty in your photos and how lucky we are to have you share them with us. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marilyn M4:14 PM

    What an amazing adventure. The last picture on the lake is stunning. How I would love seeing that part of the world. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic pictures... what an incredibly beautiful landscape. Thanks...
    good luck you two. A wonderful journey for you.
    I look forward to hearing more about your journey.
    hug Viola

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lake Huron is beautiful and idyllic! Glad you were able to find a cool breeze during this heat wave.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you had a wonderful adventure and you've capture the awe in all your photos.
    Those falls look amazing!

    Hugs and blessings, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catching up with posts and pleased to see how far you have travelled already. I remember a boat trip on Lake Huron once upon a time. I’ll have to get out my photo books and check. B x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...