Tuesday, May 07, 2024

In the Evening Light

 


The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love this time of day when I do just what I please - mostly reading.

Masses of pansies bloom on the front porch. I planted them last autumn and they puttered along through the winter, but now they are outdoing themselves with blossom after blossom. I love their sweet and friendly faces. My maternal grandmother loved purple pansies and I think of her when I see them. 


A small dragon sits on my kitchen windowsill, created by a granddaughter who spent the weekend with us while her parents celebrated their anniversary. He's a friendly fellow, I think. As she ran out the door with her parents on Sunday, Sadie called back, "There are six more dragons hidden upstairs!" We've found five of them and it took some searching. We'll ask for another hint for the sixth one. 


My days have fallen into an easy routine. I try to write for a couple of hours in the morning on the memoir of our family's years in Ecuador. I'm at 47,000 words on the second draft, just over half way. Some days it's harder to write as I deal with difficult times, and I find it emotionally draining.

Yesterday afternoon I spent outdoors working in the garden. What a tonic that was! There is always something to do and I am reluctant to return indoors. I did make pesto - I planted basil 6-8 weeks ago and it took off like a flash. The plants needed trimming, hence the pesto. It will stay nicely in the freezer. 


The flooring and stairs were completed several months ago, and I asked Tim to build a narrow cabinet for the hall. We looked in stores but couldn't find anything suitable. Shelves in the cabinet hold my scarves and baskets with gloves and hats. Most of my house is in cool tones, but I decided I wanted a bit of a punch in the entrance hall. This red makes me smile when I walk through, and picks up some of the red in the rug. 


Columbines bloom in the garden, mostly pale violet. Just visible behind them are tight peony buds. There are plenty of these pink ones and even more on the white bush. Something to anticipate. 


One rhododendron lives in our garden. It was here when we moved in over 20 years ago, but we moved it from the front garden to the back. Rhodos have never been favourites of mine. I long ago read a murder mystery where the murderer hid in the rhodo bushes under the window and that affected my feelings for them long before I ever knew what a rhodo looked like. I do admire the bright colours and the gold-tipped stamens. 

As I've been writing this post, the light fades. Time to close the computer and pick up a book. I'll make a cup of tea - peppermint, I think. May your evening be a pleasant one. 


20 comments:

  1. How very sweet that your grand-daughter hid origami dragons for you to find. Lovely photos and thoughts as always. Apparently in some parts of the world rhododendrons are quite invasive if not maintained. Living in a desert country, I'm happy with anything and everything that's green and grows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pansies are beautiful, it's wonderful that they sow themselves.
    The icing on the cake though is your beautiful paper kite from your granddaughter and how fabulous of her to hide a few more of them... good luck finding the sixth one.
    Your red cupboard in the hallway looks great... happy greetings to you and a hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Lorrie,
    First off: Kudos to your husband Tim for a practical and beautiful cabinet!
    Pansies are such rewarding flowers and they almost smile at us with their petal–faces.
    Your granddaughter is very sweet for creating such origami gems and then hiding them for you to trace them down.
    Enjoy your spring flowers!
    Your family is blessed for having you document your family years in Ecuador—those will be treasures.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grandchildren just brighten up our life. Hidden dragon must be such fun. You keep yourself quite busy, especially with you writing project, a good cathartic exercise and the family in years to come will enjoy and appreciate. Happy Spring, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pansies lift my spirits - they are such cheerful souls and I love their sweet gentle fragrance. Did you find the sixth dragon? I love the pop of red in the new cabinet Tim built. Lovely! Happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Little pansy faces beaming at you, how cheering! My Columbines are mostly pale creamy colours, but they do tend to change now and then, and there is always a rogue one or two growing somewhere unexpected in the garden. I do like your cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a nice cabinet and fills the space well. Nice to have a handy husband. I love that your granddaughter hid the dragons for you to find. Fun! It is easy to get carried away when working outside. Happy days to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:31 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pansies! The red cabinet in the entry hall is a great idea! Writing is a very beneficial activity; it greatly improves cognitive ability.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have better luck growing Johnny-Jump-Ups than the full size Pansies which seem to muddle along but not really thrive. I like Columbines and find them in various spots around the garden where they have spread.
    The red cupboard is a lovely splash of colour and it holds (hides) all those necessary items 💗
    Have a happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving your hallway with the red cabinet beautifully created by Tim.
    I regularly make fresh pesto it is so much better than any shop bought pesto, and such a useful addition to have to hand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The red cabine is stunning! Perfect punch of color to a lovely space

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful shades of purple and white in your pansies. Soon I will be pulling mine as the weather heats up. Always hard to do when they look so pretty still.
    I'm wondering whether you found that missing dragon yet. What a cute thing for your granddaughter to do.
    Your book sounds like quite an undertaking and such a gift for your family.
    The floors and staircase look so nice and that red cabinet is fabulous in your entry. Is there nothing that you and Tim can't accomplish? :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those pansies particularly the purple. What a talented husband you have. The red cupboard is perfect and very cheerful in your hall. B x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such fun that your grand-daughter made and hid the dragons. I hope you may have found the missing one!

    Those pansies are a wonderful colour.

    I like your red cupboard in your hall, a very nice splash of colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely read, Lorrie!
    Your evening sounds so peaceful.
    The pale yellow light behind the trees, the blooming pansies, and the hidden dragons add such charm to your day
    Love the red cabinet in your hallway.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful flowers. Love the red cabinet. Wonderful that you are writing about your time in Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous5:51 PM

    Also love the faces of pansies! Good luck with the writing and finding the 6th dragon. How fun to have the red cabinet in your entry for gloves, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5:52 PM

    I have a feeling my comment was "Anonymous". This is Marilyn M.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The red cabinet looks fabulous!

    Will you be self-publishing your memoir?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Garden Musings

  Gardening has this embracing quality in that it colours the way you look at the world. Penelope Lively - Life in the Garden Most of the co...