Thursday, August 22, 2024

On a Friday in August: Camping, Gardening,

 


Last weekend we went camping for a couple of nights with our three children and their families. Thirteen of us in all, two families in trailers (caravans) and two in tents, in a fresh-smelling forest not far from the beach. It was cool in the woods and warm on the shore, just as it should be. 
It's become a tradition that this Nana makes doughnuts for breakfast one morning while camping. Sausages and fruit go along with the sweet stuff. I make the yeast dough, roll, and cut. The guys do the frying, and the grands plus my daughter-in-law do the glazing and decorating. It's a jolly affair. 
The first night of camping went well; everyone slept and the weather was perfect. The next day at the beach was a lot of fun, but then someone looked at the weather forecast. Yikes! We rarely see thunderstorms, but one was headed our way that evening. So after dinner, the family with the two little girls packed up and went home. The rest of us battened down the hatches. Lightning zigzagged across the sky followed by immense echoing thunderclaps. Wind howled in the tree tops although it was fairly calm on the ground. Pinecones and small branches hit the roof of the trailer and we didn't sleep until 2 am when it was all over. All was well. Fun times! 


Gardens have been so very slow this year. I harvested basil and made pesto to store in the freezer to use when the cold seeps in and we need a hint of summer. 
I go blackberry picking. How fragrant the dark berries are, and how sticky. I've learned to pick berries with just one hand, holding the pail in the other. There are inevitable thorns, but the sweetness of blackberry syrup and blackberry-plum jam make the memory of thorn pricks fade. The sight of jewel-like jars lined up on shelves in the cool basement evokes feelings of satisfaction in having prepared for the winter. Gladys Taber says "I believe it is an instinct in man to store things against the winter, even when there is a supermarket a few blocks or miles away. It is part of the rhythm of life." I am glad that we do not have to rely entirely upon the produce of our garden or on what we've preserved for we would soon be thin as wraiths. 


I went out late one afternoon and saw six or so bees busy in the borage and oregano flowers. How quickly they flew from one flower to another. Perhaps they sense the waning of summer, too. 


Yellow and gold do not feature much in my garden, but in late summer the Rudbeckia suits the light and I enjoy the glow of the small patch I allow. 


Dahlias faithfully produce bloom after bloom. I deadhead regularly and cut bouquets of them for the house. I do love their symmetry and variety of colour and form. 


Something was eating my tomatoes. I purchased a quantity of organza bags and dressed dozens of tomatoes carefully, making sure there was plenty of room to grow. The bushes look odd, but I've not lost a tomato to the critters since. As an added bonus, I think the material prevents rain from splitting the fruit. Green beans are prolific; zucchini is a bust. There are several fat pumpkins just barely turning orange that will make delicious soups in another month or two. 

August teeters between summer and autumn. This year the weight seems to be leaning to an early autumn. Our nights are decidedly cool. September could turn it all around again. Weather is endlessly varied, don't you find? Meanwhile, we will enjoy the days as they come, like "pearls slipping off a string" as L. M. Montgomery once wrote. 

Wishing you all a lovely weekend. 

15 comments:

  1. What a great idea those organza bags are! Not sure I would ever have thought of that, but it's a wonderful idea!

    And your camping trip. What fun! And I love your doughnut tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorrie~ What a beautiful post. From the camping trips to the gorgeous flowers, it was so fun to read. Donuts on a camping trip sound delicious! When I was a girl, we would go camping on the Oregon coast. I could just feel the coolness under the pine trees, and the warmth of the beach when you mentioned that in your post! Your flowers are beautiful! Have a wonderful week-end! Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I slept through that storm, much to my disappointment. Kate told me about the amazing lightning. It must have been scary hearing it from your RV.
    Good idea you had of protecting your tomatoes from being eaten by critters.
    I love Dahlias; yours are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quite like a thunder and lightning storm especially if I am safely indoors. Good job that the little ones went home, they might have found it quite frightening.
    I have also been busy making pesto, it is such a tasty addition to so many other ingredients apart from pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful garden you must have!
    The camping sounds like fun. Our Ottawa kids are going canoe camping in Algonquin Park next week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will eat well all season with memories of summer with that pesto and your berry harvest. I will be making pesto, too, from my basil. I love pulling it out in the midst of winter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that those organza bags were so successful. Nothing like a fresh tomato from a garden. Your family camping time sounds wonderful. It does feel like the weather is having a hard time making up its mind on whether to be fall or summer. Have a nice last full weekend of August!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post, Lorrie. The doughnut tradition is wonderful! Ah, it's fun creating memories to cherish. I'm impressed with how well your garden has done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm envious of your blackberry picking, eating and plum making!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're such a wonderful gardener, Lorrie . . . a diligent caretaker, full of clever ideas (such as the tomato coverings), and you make good use of your bounty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to comment on the "camping" part! What an adventure you had this time! Love the donut tradition!

      Delete
  11. What a greta idea with the organza bags!
    Have a happy Sunday!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your camping trip sounds like it was a perfect mix of fun and adventure—doughnuts for breakfast sound delightful.
    Your flowers are beautiful.

    Happy Monday, Lorrie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your donuts look amazing, like they came from those gourmet donut shops!

    Glad you survived the thunderstorm in your trailer. We have a couple of hot and humid days this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A thunderstorm while camping would be quite dramatic. I am glad it was not a dangerous one, and you were able to sleep safely in your camper. It sounds like such fun being out there with the grands, making them delicious doughnuts. Picking blackberries is not available to us here in hot Queensland, but I did have the pleasure of picking a small quantity when we went to Ireland - and I made a couple of spoons of jam with my grandson, thanks to a lemon we had in the house! Enjoy your bounty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Friday Favourites

  The stars are always above us, swirling in the vast reaches of space, hidden by clouds or, more frequently, by light, that of the sun or o...