Friday, September 18, 2026

Friday Favourites: Autumn Light and Golden Days

 




Autumn is slowly creeping in. Ravens converse in trees and on rooftops with voices deep and rasping, or smooth and liquid. Trees turn rusty red. Golden light pours over the land. In the morning I'm thankful for a warm jacket. In the afternoon, a t-shirt suffices. 

On a recent walk I gave into my magpie tendencies to collect things and picked up the above assortment. It's given me pleasure to look at these past couple of days. 


I spent much of last weekend lying on the couch. I think influenza season has begun early. There was much drinking of tea, many naps, and little else. Just two days and I was feeling like getting up and doing a few things, and my energy is returning. Now my husband is lying around. Neither of us felt like reading or even watching television. 

The garden called when I started to feel better and I began the clean up. There are still tomatoes to harvest. Since last summer I've weighed and recorded the garden produce. This year, so far, I've harvested over 30 kilograms of tomatoes! (66 pounds) We've eaten many of them. I canned 12 pints of diced tomatoes, and 14 pints of salsa. Some were roasted and tucked into the freezer. I'm not complaining at all!


Hello there! We've noticed three deer, a mama and two young ones, roaming the neighbourhood lately. They would find a feast in our garden, but fortunately it's somewhat hidden from the adjoining properties, and deer won't jump fences if they can't see what's on the other side. If the deer saw my hydrangeas I'm sure they would have been right over. This angle is deceptive, for the deer cannot see over the rather ramshackle fence. I'm quite high above it on our patio. 


It was a warm and pleasant late-September afternoon. Shadows were distancing themselves from the trees, the statues, the people. Elongating. Straining away.
Louise Penny 

Is there anything more lovely than the warmth of autumn sunshine? When I was ill, I sat in a pool of sunshine on our patio and let the warmth soak into my aching body. How lovely it is. 

I'm out of library books so I pulled Louise Penny's All the Devils are Here from my bookshelf and have begun reading. The story begins on a September afternoon in Paris, in a garden. 


Soup season is here, although I will gladly eat soup on any day of the year. Trine Hahnemann, a Danish cook and cookbook author, posted a recipe for Butternut Squash and Tomato Soup on Instagram recently. I welcomed a new way to use up some tomatoes. It's delicious and will definitely be going into my regular rotation of soups. I made with half of a large butternut squash and three tomatoes and have enough for several meals for the two of us. 

Blogger seems to be working as usual once again, after not being able to leave comments and then blog rolls not updating. I've avoided that by use Feedly. It was easy to set up and most people's blogs showed up there despite blogger not updating. 

There's a picnic birthday celebration planned for this weekend as we enjoy the lingering moments of warmth and sunshine. I hope you have something lovely to anticipate, as well. 

Edited: It's not my birthday, but three other family members! Mine is next month.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! That is quite the haul of tomatoes! I didn't realize that about deer. I'm glad they can't see what is on the other side of your fence. They jump quite readily over our see through ranch style gates. Glad you are on the mend and that your hubby will be better in time for the picnic. I'm flying out today and will be attending a bridal tea shower on Saturday in Southern California. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Lorrie,
    Joyeux Anniversaire ! Tu es aussi une fille de Septembre (comme moi). C’est sans doute pourquoi j'aime (nous aimons) l’automne qui n’est pas encore installé ici en région parisienne.
    Quelle belle récolte de petits trésors de la nature. Moi aussi, j’aime ramasser les feuilles, lichens, baies que je trouve au jardin.
    J’espère que tu auras une belle journée d'anniversaire.
    Hélène 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your description of sitting in the sunshine was delightful.
    I'm glad you're feeling better, hope your husband will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting my flu and covid shots on Tuesday. Hope to avoid getting what you had. Is it your birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are starting to have Covid back here. We have been sick for some days with my son when he was here I think he brought it from the plane.
    He has been travelling a lot these days New York, Monaco, London and Paris and after all these flights he arrived back to Dubai today I hope he won’t get sick as usual after flights.
    The deer looks beautiful behind the hydrangeas! You are lucky to have so many tomatoes! Here all is burnt by the sun and we don’t have rain.
    I hope you both are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear you havent been well. It seems to be the season for colds and chills, maybe it's the change in the weather. You have done well with your tomatoes. Mine have disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh. . . the first picture 🧡 I think I'll bring some autumn nature into my home, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you are feeling better now, so nice to enjoy gentle September sunshine. I’m loving reading favourite book series these days.. I will have to return to Penny’s books. Well done on the tomatoes. Not so good here but I have got one rogue plant that just appeared and it is laden with tomatoes now. I will have to save some seeds, Enjoy all the birthday celebrations. B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. A soup is always welcome, in each season but especially now. We cook potato-soup...
    ...and I enjoyed your autumn impressions today on your post very much. It's a mood in the air to say goodbye to summer.
    Greetings by Heidrun 🎃

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Autumn, my favourite season. Your assemblage of found items from your walk is so pretty, the red berries the highlight. I am sorry you have had the sleepy-time flu. We both had it while we were in Canada, just a day or two when sleeping most of the day seemed the order of the day. Fortunately we too picked up quite quickly and went on as usual. The picture of the deer is a great catch. They are such pretty animals, but I'm glad they can't get in and destroy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a LOT of tomatoes. I love fresh ones-not the ones you get in most grocery stores. You will be all set for the cold months ahead. We have a abundance of deer here. There are about 15-18 of them that make the way along the back of our property every day on their way down to the river. This year 6 of them are babies and just so cute. We started spelling D E E R because our Scruffy would go nuts if we said the word 'deer' and race to the door and bark non-stop. Well, apparently, we have the smartest dog in the world because now he can spell D E E R and off he goes. I told hubby we have to start spelling STAG or DOE until he catches on to those words, too. lol
    Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful opening photo, you little Magpie! I loved it. Sorry to hear that you have the flu and I hope it eases soon. I loved "All the Devils are Here." Well, anything by Louise Penny!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Friday Favourites: Autumn Light and Golden Days

  Autumn is slowly creeping in. Ravens converse in trees and on rooftops with voices deep and rasping, or smooth and liquid. Trees turn rust...