September is dressing herself in a show of dahlias and
splendid marigolds and starry zinnias.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
After weeks and weeks of sunshine mixed with a few clouds but no moisture, rain began yesterday and has fallen steadily until just a few minutes ago. I can almost hear the thirsty ground soaking up the water. This will help fill the streams and enable salmon to spawn more easily. And dampen lingering wildfires. It's hard to believe that September is nearly over and today it's just 3 months until Christmas. There's a lot of living to be done between now and then, but I love Christmas and have begun thinking about it and making a few plans.
For today, though, I thought I'd do a Simple Woman's Daybook style post:
Outside my Window
The rain has just stopped and the sky, although clouded, grows brighter and brighter. Hydrangea bushes are no longer blue, but deep pink and purples. Roses continue to bloom, but they are heavy with raindrops and rather droopy. Dahlias and zinnias stand tall despite the rain.
What I'm Wearing
Blue jeans, a burgundy pullover sweater, socks, pearl drop earrings. Today I switched my closet from summer to autumn/winter. Summer things have been laundered and folded away. Always a bit of a sad time despite loving the coziness of pullovers and cardigans.
A Recent Outing
Last Sunday Tim and I strolled through Butchart Gardens. I knew that I wanted to see the dahlias and they did not disappoint. Wide beds of flowers of all shapes and colours, from dinner plate size to small pompoms. The bees loved the more open varieties and there were lots of them.
On a Morning Walk
Nights are lengthening and it's fairly easy to see a bit of the sunrise when I'm out walking. I often walk before breakfast, before becoming sidetracked by other things. I took this photo on a morning of still air and calm water marred only by the dozens of ducks on the pond. But even they were quiet and still.
What I've been Reading
Five Windows by D. E. Stevenson - This was a lovely story, written in the mid-20th century and follows a young man's coming of age. I loved it!
Mrs. Lorimer's Quiet Summer by Molly Clavering - As you might expect, the quiet summer turned out to be anything but quiet. Another mid-20th century novel. The two friends in this story are loosely based on the author and her friend, D E. Stevenson, author of the first book I've mentioned. I do enjoy these quiet tales of ordinary life.
The Rose Arbor by Rhys Bowen - A re-read. The narrative takes place in England in the 1960s but also a World War II story line.
Martha's Vineyard: Isle of Dreams by Susan Branch - Another re-read. Susan's tale of her move across the USA and how she came to publish the first of many books.
What I've been Listening to
Several years ago, maybe 10, we got rid of our CD player because everyone was jumping on the bandwagon with digital music. "Use Spotify!" "Be modern!" My children laughed when I said I wasn't prepared to discard my CD collection. They've been in boxes for years. However, I don't like online music. I can't find some of my favourite albums. I don't like using my phone connected to the blue-tooth speaker. It all makes me a wee bit cranky.
So, we just purchased a slim black DVD player (I kept my old movies, too), and Tim connected it all to the television sound bar. Now I play my old CDs to my heart's content, and it makes me very happy indeed. And I look forward to watching some of my old movies, too. I don't want to have to pay a subscription fee to listen to and to watch what I already own.
On another walk I saw European Starlings on a telephone wire and was amazed by the different sounds they made. You can listen to them on this video. The starlings are plentiful here these days; yesterday a large crowd of them landed on my neighbour's grass and were busy pecking away at something interesting and tasty. I am thankful for...
Warming cups of tea throughout the day
Apple Cake, made from a friend's recipe. Our apple trees didn't produce well this year, but there have been enough for some pies and cakes. Always a favourite.
Simple daily pleasures of good food, a warm home, a loving family, books to read, the beauty of outdoors, good health (we've recovered from our bout with the flu), and so much more.
With those thoughts, I'll close this post and think about supper. Tonight it will be a white bean soup with chicken and vegetables, along with toasted cheese sandwiches. Warm and comforting for an autumnal night.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.