Monday, May 20, 2013

Victoria Day



I love holidays that fall on a Monday. The weekend seems to stretch luxuriously. This morning, we braved the coolish temperature to eat our breakfast in the sunshine. One four-egg mushroom and cheese omelet, divided not quite evenly, toast, a few cherry tomatoes, and tea. It was simply lovely. The first of many to follow, I hope.
 

There's a boat sitting alongside the house - it probably won't see the water this summer since there are things to do on it, but Little Miss A was so excited to get into it and explore. Then Grandpa put the dinghy on the back lawn for a bit and she climbed right in. Now there's Grandpa's Big Boat and Little Miss A's Little Boat, according to her. 
 

Both of the Little Misses soothe themselves with their thumbs. Little Miss A tugs at her ear with one hand and Little Miss S holds a piece of hair. The thumbs pop into the mouths only when the girls are tired or upset, sometimes only for a few seconds. I think it's sweet, but then I was a thumb-sucker, too. Were you?

Gardening is what I'm doing today. I came in for some lunch and to write this blog post. I'm heading out again right away. Weeds won't wait and it's high time to finish getting the vegetables planted.

Happy Victoria Day from Canada!

13 comments:

  1. Enjoy the day..
    Big hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh...a boat sounds very exciting. Some of my finer memories of summer include a boat. A speed boat. A boat fast enough for my mother to water ski and my sister, too. I was busy sucking my forefinger. (I never quite got anything right.) Your holiday breakfast sounded wonderful and your description of a Monday holiday is so very nice, too. Your grandgirlies are beautiful and growing so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Victoria Day Lorrie; it has been a beautiful weekend. I wasn't a thumb sucker and only one daughter sucked her fingers - two of them while the index finger rested on her nose.
    Your breakfast looks delicious, and hubby and I like to share too.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet photos! I wasn't a thumb sucker, but used to nibble the ends of my plaits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet little girls. I was thinking a tuft of hair to hold is a lot better than needing a blankie! Rather portable and always there! Enjoy the nice weather! Breakfast looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so lovely to spend time outdoors in the garden, although I need to pick up the pace on getting things done. Have fun with the little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Victoria Day to you. I don't know if I was a thumb sucker or not. A couple of my kids were...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sweet company on Victoria Day - I can imagine what fun it must be to watch them climb in and out of the dinghy.
    I wasn't a thumb-sucker, and neither were the children, but my sister was, much to my amusement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was a thumbsucker, until I developed gangrene on my thumb. Very unpleasant!

    Looks like you had a great breakfast outside and enjoyed the company of two sweet little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice that you could enjoy your breakfast on the patio this weekend. We haven't eaten on our deck yet this year as it's been too cold or windy or rainy! Last spring and summer we ate almost every meal outside. Your little misses are adorable. Yes, I was a thumb sucker. When asked what my thumb tasted like I replied - Butterscotch pudding - which was my favourite. Remember the pudding with the flavour bud in the box that dissolved when cooked?? Yummy. Enjoy your week. Hugs, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gardening is what I did yesterday as well. Unfortunately, the day was too short...and there is much more to be done. I'm sure gardening with good help like you had...makes the job go so much quicker. :)

    I don't think I was a thumb sucker...and I know we never had pacifier's in my childhood home. My grands have 'soothers' for the most part...one sucked her thumb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are so precious...just makes you want to pick them up and hug them! I don't remember if I was a thumb sucker. I had a son that sucked his finger....I haven't thought of that in a long time! heehee! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh, thumb sucking is so cute especially when paired with hair twirling!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...