Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Another New Activity


left to right, Katie, yours truly, Cristal, Ashley, Owen, Tim

It was a gala occasion. Tim and I, along with Cristal and Katie caught the 1 pm ferry to Vancouver. Owen's mom and sister met us on the ferry and we all piled into our vehicle (someone compared it to Mary Poppins' expanding carpetbag). We met Owen and Ashley for dinner. Then....


Off to the fashion show we went. This was a totally new experience for most of us. In February 2013 Ashley was a participant in a design competition in Montreal. To open the fashion show, her design, shown above, along with two others from the school (Vancouver Community College) were shown on the runway.
 

Then the finishing class's garments were shown. Ashley's designs were inspired by the pre-Revolution Russian aristocracy. She used silks, wools and blends. In the look above the silk dupioni skirt is laser cut, using embroidery patterns from the inspiration era as the basis for the design.
 

I really liked this look - narrow skirt with a vertical band over pants, a shirt and vest. 
 

The back of the above look. I have to say that her designs fit the models very well (she did a lot of fitting adjustments in the past couple of weeks) and her outfits had a very polished look.


For this collection, Ashley had to design 20 looks (complete outfits) but only had to sew up 5 of them. She was the only student in her class to include menswear in her collection. She stitched two of them for the show. Above is one of them - her tailoring really impressed me.
 

And here's the designer herself, walking the runway with one of her models. She's now completed her schooling and has a job in the industry as a junior pattern drafter - just what she wanted to do. 

Kudos to the dads of the Little Misses A and S, and Little Mister F who stayed behind while Katie and Cristal attended the event. We had a lot of fun and I hope the moms enjoyed their night of uninterrupted sleep.

So that's my latest new thing, unlikely to be repeated. It was a lot of fun! 

21 comments:

  1. That is interesting. I guess she gets her talents from her mom! I don't think I've ever been to a fashion show other than the spoof one we did one time when I was a kid for our church group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:01 PM

    Congrats to her! I know you are very proud of her. I enjoyed the photos; I've never been to a fashion show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearty congrats to her! What an achievement. Her career sounds so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you are so very proud of her. What beautiful designs...she is so talented and looks like she'll have a career in this field. What fun to get to go as a family and support her! WOW! I love the skirt with the intricate design. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Very impressive designs. What a fun new experience. Hats off to Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous work and unique design. You must be very proud of Ashley. Wishing her continued success
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter is a talented young woman and has a wonderful eye. It's great that she has found a job in just the field that speaks to her.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was very impressed with Ashley's designs. You must be very proud of her! What a fun first time event. Congratulations to Ashley for her accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting, and Ashley's designs are lovely. Good luck to her as she evolves in her desired career.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is impressive! Glad she has a job doing what she hoped to do! And fun that you all got to go and enjoy the event!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to Ashley! My favorite is the silk dupioni skirt. Very nice!
    Blessings,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun event and how talented your daughter is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful job she did - the clothes are amazing.

    You are inspiring me to do more new things, and I'm a homebody - so this will bring me some adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what fun!! And congratulations to her on her achievement. Dreams come true after hard work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting for Ashley ...and for the entire family, too! What a wonderful occasion & how nice that everyone was able to share in her joy.
    She is VERY talented. I adore that criss-crossed cream top in the first photo....very classy!!

    Please extend to her my 'congratulations' & my applause for a job very well done?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Impressive! You must be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I bet you were smiling the entire show! Ashley must be so happy that she has a chance to live her dream. The fashion industry is so competitive and is only accessible to the very best designers. You must be so proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lorrie, how wonderful! What an accomplishment for your daughter! Her work is beautiful and creative. Congratulations to Ashley for landing a job in the field that she has chosen! She is sure to do well.

    I'll bet you all were grinning from ear to ear as you watched the show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've always wanted to attend a fashion show. It looks like so much fun. I bet for you it was even more so due to the designer. Her outfits look great but I don't have the figure anymore to wear something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How very exciting! I remember well this exciting time as I walked this walk once upon a time and ended up with a 25 year career. How wonderful for your daughter. Pattern design is a good career.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...