Five on Friday: This and That
1. One of our BC Ferries slips between islands. These boats are our link to the mainland. I find riding the ferry rather relaxing, although it took me awhile to get used to the slower pace. There are restaurants, coffee shops, and a small gift store on the larger ferries, like the one above.
Another view - closer up. This ferry is docked and was loading when we chugged by in our boat last weekend. It looked awfully big so close up. Ferries have the right of way, so we had to be careful to be well out of the way before the captain decided to leave. I kept an eye on the loading lanes (not visible from this angle) and the cars were still driving on as we passed.
2. I clipped a few dahlias yesterday evening just before darkness fell. As I arranged them, I noticed a dark something in one of those petals, tucked up tightly. After a bit of gentle shaking and pulling, a disoriented and very sleepy bumblebee tumbled onto the counter top. I carefully put him on a paper towel and set him outside. He was gone this morning.
3. Breakfast on the boat. We're still picking raspberries from our canes - such a treat. Chocolate bread from the bakery purchased just before we left last Friday night. Bacon, eggs, tea and coffee and a sunny day. This weekend is supposed to be rainy, and the view will be very different.
4. I've been looking for a good apple loaf. One with chunks of apple in it, not just applesauce. I tried this one today and I'm not very thrilled. It's edible, but heavy. I'll keep trying. Does anyone have a good recipe to share?
5. A few plants clipped during one of my evening walks - Queen Anne's Lace and Hawthorne branches. They look well together - almost Christmassy to my mind, although the teal jug relieves some of that.
The weekend ahead looks like an indoor one, although I hope to harvest and deal with more tomatoes. There will be laundry and house puttering, I'm sure. Nothing out of the ordinary planned here. What plans do you have for the weekend?
Linking with Amy's blog for Five on Friday.