Friday, March 13, 2020

Finding Beauty in the Everyday



"This is a wonderful day. I have never seen this one before."
Maya Angelou

 Outside my window this morning two trees, one blooming in pink, other other in white, toss in the wind, and the occasional petal flies through the air. 

Friday morning. I have an unexpected day off. Spring Break was to begin today after school, but due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the decision was made to close school a day early. It was done out of an abundance of caution. 



And so, today is wide open, and I wonder how I shall spend it? I began by making a pot of Paris Breakfast Tea, delicately flavoured with lavender. 

Throughout this week, as the news of the pandemic continued, the anxiety level of our students increased. Some were worried for themselves, but most were concerned about parents and grandparents, or those with chronic illness. Helping students navigate this very real and new threat is exhausting. In addition, illness hit several staff members hard - colds, not the virus - and I was called in to cover classes in addition to teaching my own. More exhaustion. So this extra day is a gift, a time to breathe and relax.


"Cooking and baking is both mental and physical therapy."
Mary Berry

Attempting the classic French Madeleine has been on my mental list of things to try for some time. I purchased a pan, but the time was never right to make the little cakes. Until this morning. 
First, I made granola and while that baked, made the batter for the Madeleines. Click on the link to go to the recipe I used. I followed Sally's advice to do everything slowly, with delicacy. While the dough rested in the fridge, I spoke with my mom on the telephone. 
The Madeleines turned out very well, tender little cakes with a hint of lemon and a buttery crisp edge. Perfect with a cup of tea. I ate a few. 



As we in Canada, and in other places throughout the world, are encouraged to limit social contact, I find myself quite content to stay at home. I have plenty of projects, reading material, even housekeeping, to keep me busy for a long while. I'm thankful for modern communication - in addition to speaking with my mom, I Skyped with my daughter and little Iris. When Iris hears the skype call, she looks at the computer and when she hears Nana's voice she hoots and waves her arms like a windmill, and smiles such lovely toothless wide grins.


"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable,
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things."
Philippians 4:8

Those blossoms are so, so beautiful. I took that photo with my phone while playing with my grandchildren on Wednesday afternoon in their back yard. 

There is plenty of advice out there these days on how to stay healthy and how to practice "social distancing". I think we also need strategies on staying calm. Here are some things that I'm doing or not doing.

* I'm not watching the news constantly. Once or twice a day is plenty. 

* When I do feel anxious or stressed (like when I come home from school) I make a cup of tea and sit and read a book for a few minutes. I call it escape therapy and it works wonders for me. 

* Find the beauty. Anne Frank says, "I don't think of all the misery, but of the beauty that remains." Clouds scudding across the sky, a single flower, a smile on the face of someone you love, artfully crafted phrases in a book - beauty exists in a thousand places.

*As a person of faith, I pray, and I entrust my day to God. 

* Treat myself just a little - take time for a face mask or a self-manicure, make a cup of tea and eat a cookie (or a Madeleine), use some of that precious fabric I've been saving, plan my spring wardrobe, watch a good movie.

* Practice kindness. Write a note to a friend and walk to the mailbox to post it. Check on neighbours who may be less mobile to ensure they have what they need. 

*Eat well, get enough sleep, go for walks or just get fresh air my garden. 


Stay well, my friends. 


19 comments:

  1. Oh, Madeleines, brings back memories immediately of morning coffee with a French friend who made the most delicious Madeleines.
    Your Cherry blossom is so lovely and way ahead of ours which are barely budding.
    I too am finding Social distancing is rather peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ways of dealing with the stresses that are around, sound perfect to me. After all, with God on our side, we have nothing to fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have found a great way to handle all of this craziness...take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful thoughts and lovely flowers! stay well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the moment when I first skyped my sister-in-law in Mississauga, and thought to myself whatever would my mother think - she just would not believe that such a thing would ever be possible.
    I love this time of year, especially the blossom which is a joy to see.
    Your madeleines look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great encouraging post, Lorrie. Prepare don't panic comes to mind. Enjoy the time we are given at home. Those Madeleines look real good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good advice. I have found so many kindred spirits on Instagram and here and they have been such a comfort during this time. I was surprised to hear that there is no toilet paper in Scotland too...lol Since I am an introvert, it's easy for me to be home. I am loving the time to read and cook. You take care and enjoy your break. 😊 Kit

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was writing a post for tomorrow and wish I could have said what I feel as well as you do! I think I'll write your suggestions down in my journal tonight. I like to 'think on things'! And I don't like to feel overwhelmed. Enjoy your weekend and I hope the weather is nice! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos & thoughts Lorrie. Me and my husband are also practising social distancing - reading and watching movies - and also taking our daily walk. Take care & stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely, positive post in these bewildering times. I like the sound of Paris Breakfast tea, like you I've always wanted to have a go at making Madeleines but always put off by having to purchse a special tray or pan. Maybe I should, yours look delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post. We need to focus on all that is good in the world at this dificult time and you seem to have got the balance just right. Let's all ty to keep calm and to discover in the time at home just how much there is that is good and beautiful in our world. The spring sunshine is shining here in the UK this morning and although tomorrow is set to bring rain I plan to enjoy today first!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Lorrie for your excellent advice.
    I am grateful for the many people, all across the United States, who visit my on-line shop. They keep me busy painting tiles and murals for their new kitchens. Often days go by when I don't see anyone or hear from anyone. But I live in a small community where the Sheriff comes by to check on me because he hasn't seen me for a day or two. Social distancing is not difficult for me. Books and gardening and putting up with the shenanigans of my young dog, takes up the rest of my time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your common sense advice is a breath of fresh air. Trusting our Father is the best way to get through any crisis! (And staying at home can be a wonderful thing!)

    I am smiling as I imagine little Iris reacting to your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Escape therapy...perfect description! The news, and shopping volume are the two biggest stressors for me. The atmosphere felt saturated with worry.
    Beautiful trees and quotes
    Prayers for good health

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad I stopped by to read your wise post, Lorrie. Our office closed and I'm working completely from home, and with the news getting worse every day, I've been feeling more and more anxious. I'm going to take your good advice and invest more in self care. Stay safe!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful blossoms!
    Yummy sweet treat with tea.
    Love the quilt blocks so much.
    Yes, we must treat ourselves well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lorrie - Back in January, I watched the Great American Baking Show. Of course, Mary Berry is one of the judges, and the contestants had to make Madeleines. Sure looked tough, so I am impressed with your skill (and holding yourself to eating just a few). Your advice is spot on - thank you for telling us something other than "wash your hands". Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Lorrie for a most encouraging post, I have wanted to make madeleines for a long time, even bought a pan just for baking them, thanks for the link, I now have no excuse.
    Your list of things to do is wonderful, the students are blessed to have you to share encouragement to them! Teaching is a great calling and ministry.
    Have a blessed day,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sipping a cup of tea as I write this, Lorrie, and enjoying the scent and flavor of the tea. Your madeleines look wonderful and so pretty in your setting. Cissy and I made them once, but borrowed a friend's pan. Your hexie pieces are enchanting! I have always loved hexies, and should get busy and make some myself. I made a crustless quiche, cottage cheese oatmeal pudding and a batch of jam yesterday. Aren't we lucky that we love to cook/bake?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

On a Morning in Spring

  "Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;" Gerard Manley Hopkins I awoke in t...