Thursday, January 05, 2023

Five on Friday: Reveling in Quiet

 

Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year. 
Ralph Waldo Emerson


The quieter days of January are welcome after a busy festive season. December was busier than usual, and in looking back, we had at least two events on our calendar for each weekend of the month - usually hosted here, occasionally elsewhere. That's a lot of social engagement for this introvert. 

It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts,
as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from old trees,
that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.
Robert Louis Stevenson


Today has been a mixed bag of weather. For a few moments I admired the pale sunlight washing the living room in delicate light, throwing shadows onto the furniture and walls. Now, however, wind moans about the house, dark clouds scud across the sky, and rain will soon follow. 

I'm back to continuing my writing project after a month away, and was happy to get right back into the rhythm. 

The days are short. The sun a spark hung thin between the dark and dark. 
John Updike

January is a good month for reading, curled up in a comfortable chair with a warm shawl around one's shoulders and a cup of tea alongside. 

I recently finished The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks, learning much about the business of keeping sheep, and of the farmers' connection to the land in the Lakes District of England. 

I've just begun Louise Penny's latest A World of Curiosities and am looking forward to getting deeper into the story. 

Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand 
and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.
Edith Sitwell

Above is a photo of the dinner table at my parents' home last week. I've added a watercolour pencil effect to the photo. I just love my mom's china and remember her collecting it over the years when I was a child. My mother enjoys setting a beautiful table, something I enjoy, too, having learned it from her. 


Good food is very often, even most often, 
simple food.
Anthony Bourdain

After the delicious indulgences of December, it's time to get back to more simple eating. Today a pot of vegetable soup simmers on the stove, to be accompanied by good bread and a bit of cheese. The other day I used up a solitary beet, a few carrots, mushrooms that were past their best in a roasted vegetable medley to which I added some leftover chopped deli ham and feta cheese. 

Five quotes that reflect January quiet to me, and five photos with commentary. On that note, I wish you all a good weekend. I know that I am looking forward to a quiet one. 




25 comments:

  1. Love the quotes, especially the one by Ralph Waldo Emerson. A good reminder for the start of a new year. Your mother's table is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Started my day reading a couple of chapters of my current book "The Seed Keeper". Sometimes I wonder if all the quiet time I need is normal. :) When I do have a social engagement, it sure does take me awhile to get over it. When the kids were little and I was working, it was always, go, go, go -- now I want nothing more than quiet days and slow ways. Your thoughts and photos are always a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mother’s table. January is a quiet month here too especially in the food shops. This week end we will empty my mother’s flat only her personal belongings because the furniture has already been taken away. I will take home all the photos and look at them during the weekend. The weather being rainy all the time better stay inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful photos. The forest and water are exquisite and I love the RLS quote, as I too feel refreshed outdoors among the trees. Your mother sure sets a beautiful table, and your watercolour effect is just gorgeous, could be framed! I think we have to have roasted veges tomorrow night, they look so good :) Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos make me smile, Lorrie. They are always beautifully evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely set table has a way of making the entire world feel special. Teaching our children how is a beautiful tradition. The quotes go well with the photos. Enjoy your writing project, and soup

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m with your mom. Table setting is a lovely part of family meals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:36 AM

    Thank you for the lovely post and photos. I too look forward to the quiet beauty of January. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful, soothing post. I really loved your mother's table setting - I love sitting down to a beautiful table! Have a great week-end. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quiet of January after the busyness of December is much needed I think. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new Louise Penny. I didn’t enjoy her last one quite as much as usual. B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely, soothing post. A quiet heart is a gift! Blessings in the New Year to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mom's table is so pretty and inviting. How nice that she still has the energy to host and entertain. Our January has started out quiet but it's about to get busy and loud. :) Enjoy your peaceful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As usual your photos put me to shame. I am reading some god books as well - a new biography of the writer Jean Rhys among them. And yes January is a good month for reading - and sorting too...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos! I like the poem under the first picture...
    Best wishes for a happy & healthy 2023!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your picture of the table set is elegantly inspiring. I *really* want to have a brunch one day this month; it would be so much fun to use my pretty dishes and use some of the yummy recipes I collect all the time....

    GretchenJoanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved each of the quotes and pictures. Your mom's table is beautiful. It is rather lovely to have this quiet time of the year. I do believe your weather is similar to what we are getting here in Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice quotes and photos, Lorrie. Your Mom really does set a beautiful table. I would have never guessed you were using up odds and ends with that luscious looking dish full of roasted vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quotes and accompanied photos were beautiful, Lorrie. I loved seeing your Mom’s lovely china and table. Your vegetable soup, cheese and bread sounds like the perfect comfort food. I’m fixing a pot roast today and may use the leftover beef for a vegetable beef barley soup. I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Blogger ate my first comment, so this is my second attempt!

    January is National Hot Tea Month! But it's Hot Tea Month every month in my household!

    Your mom's tablescape is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That "simple" plate made from leftovers is beautiful and so smart. I've been reading a great deal lately about the amount of household food wasted (down here, Canada is probably smarter). I have been trying to do my little part by planning and shopping more carefully. .... your mom's table is beautiful; you had a great role model. ....... Have you read the book "Quiet" by Susan Cain? .

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please read my last post.

    Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always enjoy your beautiful photos, Lorrie.
    Love your mom's table.

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photographs and I enjoyed your selection of quotes.
    A lovely post.

    Enjoy your January days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Such a pretty table setting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how your mom and you enjoy setting a pretty table. It makes guests feel loved.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

On a Morning in Spring

  "Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;" Gerard Manley Hopkins I awoke in t...