Friday, March 10, 2023

Friday Favourites

 


Close your eyes and do not peek
And I'll rub Spring across your cheek
Smooth as satin, soft and sleek,
Close your eyes and do not peek

One

While walking earlier this week, immense delight bubbled up when I saw the pussy willows along the path. Their soft catkins are impossible not to touch, and are sure harbingers of spring. The blue sky and sun had me soaking in the apricity, an old word meaning the warmth of the sun in winter. 



She turned to the sunlight 
and shook her yellow head.
And whispered to her neighbour, 
"Winter is dead."
A.A. Milne

Two

Tightly closed daffodil buds have been popping up all over town, but the recent warmth has coaxed them out to see what's happening in the world. There are several clumps of the small tete-a-tete variety in my garden, and I wandered around looking at them this afternoon. 


Although much of the house is a mess just now and will be for several months due to the renovations happening, I'm still finding spots to bring in the outdoors - and what is more suitable just now than pussy willows and daffodils? 


Once upon a time there were four little rabbits and their names were Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail, and Peter."
Beatrix Potter

Three

I was at my youngest daughter's house last week and she said, "I have to show you something." We moved over to a window and there were four of the softest, sweetest little bunnies nibbling on the grass outside, two honey-coloured, one grey, and one a soft black. They hopped away as soon as I went outside and in subsequent visits I couldn't get close enough to take a photo. Little Cora really wants to hold one, but that's not going to happen! They are growing rapidly and I managed to capture a photo of two of them a couple of days ago. Soon they will become nuisances, but oh, how sweet they are for now. 


Warm thoughts.
Soup puts the heart at ease...
Auguste Escoffier

Four

I love soup in any season and make a pot at least once a week. Lately, I've been making double batches and freezing them for the day when my kitchen is inaccessible. A recent soup was Broccoli Soup - filled with the goodness of vegetables and no milk or flour. I like to top it with crumbled blue cheese. 


Five

I laughed at these dabbling ducks. They spent far more time with their tails in the air than their heads. They bobbed up for air, then down they went, tails wriggling as they found good things to eat in the shallow water of the bog. 

And one more delight - the song Blessings, by Hollow Coves. A good reminder to "hold onto the ones we love". Wishing you all a lovely weekend. 




22 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely it all is Lorrie. Spring after snow is certainly something beautiful to look forward to. Daffodils are one of my favourites, and what fun to see them popping up everywhere. Your grandies must be excited to see the pretty bunnies, and they are so picturesque too. Looking forward to coming over in the Spring and joining in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite songs. You've shared many spring beauties and blessings in today's post. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these signs of spring. It is a ways away here but you give me hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love duckrobatics! I give those two a perfect 10! It's definitely spring in your world. We're still working on it (3-5" of snow last night/today predicted). But it won't last! Your soup looks terrific. Today would be a good soup day, I think, though it's Rick's cooking turn and I think he's making pizza which will do just fine! Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:04 AM

    How lovely to have pussy willows. They are rare here, but we do have plenty of catkins, not the same though,

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely weekend to you! Your post makes it feel like Spring already. The bunnies are super sdorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to see Spring beginning in your corner. Hope the renovations go well and quicker than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, Lorrie. What wonderful springtime poems and photos you have shared. I am imagining the softness of those pussy willows. I'm not sure I've ever seen them growing around here. I'll have to start paying attention. The little bunnies are absolutely adorable. Easy to see why Cora wants to hold one. I hope your kitchen remodeling is running smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:07 PM

    Pussy Willows, Daffodils, and bunnies are definitely signs of Spring. The little video and song are delightful! Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice song! I can’t go out for the moment but it’s nice to see your pictures. I hope your renovations go well. Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many more signs of Spring where you live than there are here in southern Ontario. But it won't be long. A few years ago I noticed a clump of Snowdrops in the garden and that is what I am looking for now. We didn't plant them so I assume they were a gift from the squirrels. Right now they are under about 30 cm of snow, but that is slowly melting and the ground will be enriched with all the moisture. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! It's always a joy to see daffodils out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what a treat, Lorrie, to visit your blog this morning. Loved every entry. I especially gravitated to your pussy willow lines: "I'll rub Spring across your cheek." Lovely! They are such a delightful sighting in early spring. It remains one of my favourite childhood memories to go with my sister to see if the pussy willows were out. Mmm... and I noted your soup tip about it having no milk or flour topped with a bit of blue cheese. Looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for a lovely visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhh such lovely signs of Spring, Lorrie! I’ve been working in my yard, tidying up, planting and being in God’s beauty.
    Thank you for the Blessings song; I’ve never heard it, but I want to share it. Happy Sunday 🙏🏻

    ReplyDelete
  15. as always, your pictures and commentary are a pure delight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We just got dumped with more snow, so I'm enjoying your spring images!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marilyn5:18 PM

    Your spring greeting is just wonderful from the bottoms up of the ducks, the flowers, and the bunnies too. I love the quotes and that word "apricity".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lorrie - we are still far from daffodils, but signs of spring are there - such as the red-winged blackbirds at our birdfeeders. Tonight I looked at my "bird arrival" records, and we can soon expect waxwings, robins and bluebirds. I loved the video of "Blessings." A wonderful song, especially with the video! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a beautiful post, Lorrie. I enjoyed all the signs of spring and all the little quotes and poems.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved seeing all the beautiful signs of spring.
    Thanks for such a delightful post, Lorrie.

    Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely signs of Springtime! Lovely pictures!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a lovely post -- I feasted my eyes on the early spring reminders (as I'm sure I've mentioned way too many times, I do miss that season here where it isn't at all the same). Loved how you used your wonderful photos to illustrate favorite poems from childhood -- and from my children's! ... my comment on your later post got too long, but I did want to say also that I especially loved that reading was part of your every day. I honestly can't remember ever going a full day without reading (from a book!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

On a Morning in Spring

  "Nothing is so beautiful as Spring -  When weeds, in wheels, shoot long and lovely and lush;" Gerard Manley Hopkins I awoke in t...