Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Spring Delights

 

The morning sun streams in, casting strong shadows across the room. A small vase of tete-a-tete daffodils, grape hyacinths, and delicate hellebores, picked yesterday, smiles at me from the coffee table. In the garden creamy primroses nestle in their leaf nests. I am filled with contentment.

Yes, my house is still a mess, but it's now a livable mess, unlike last week. The plasterer left two and a half hours before my parents arrived and with the help of our eldest daughter and her 10-year-old (both on spring break), we scrubbed and dusted and rearranged the furniture to a semblance of normality. There are no curtains on the windows, and the blinds have splotches of plaster on them and there is plenty of dust, but the situation is going to worsen, so I'm just ignoring things as best I can, and cleaning the bits that need it most.


I went for a walk with the daughter and granddaughter mentioned above and can say with certainty that spring is here. The wind, so sharp just the day before, had softened, and real warmth comes from the sun. In the garden, peonies reach upwards with surprising speed. 



Our family party on the weekend went well. We set up a simple photo booth with silly props and everyone was tasked with having their photo taken throughout the evening. These are my five grand darlings - four girlies and one sweet boy. There was a quick height comparison at the end - my eldest granddaughter is now taller than I am. It was inevitable, but happened much more quickly than I imagined.

edited to add: The party did not take place at our home, but at one of our daughters'. Our house is so topsy turvy that a party would be impossible. My kitchen is barely functioning!



We celebrated Tim's birthday with lots of fun and laughter. Daughter-in-law Katie made the cake - a sparkly blue ocean with jelly bean waves and a paper boat. 

The sun continues to shine and I'd love to sit here in the warm light, but there are errands to run on this beautiful spring morning. 
Spring or autumn, I hope that you delight in the season today. 


25 comments:

  1. It is always exciting to see those first new shoots of spring. I will have to wait longer, The gardens are covered in a heavy layer of snow and it is well below freezing, but it will come. It always does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated Birthday to Tim. Here we have 20C today not usual on March. I hope you are not too tired with your renovations. For my part I don’t like renovations I prefer when it’s finish 😆

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grandies are adorable, the birthday cake looks delicious. Congratulations to Tim, the birhday boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that wonderful to see! My eldest two grandies are taller than I am. Good for you for relaxing over the physical environment. It is important to be together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed that you have been entertaining during your reno!!! That cake is darling...love the boat and ocean theme. Happy Birthday to Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, coping with the mess of remodeling takes a special kind of patience. I am glad that you were able to get things livable in time for your parents' visit! I love the photo of your grands with their photo booth accessories! They are darling and their expressions are joyful! Family parties are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are blessed with those five little darlings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad your party went well (the girls are darling!) and that you had help with the kitchen clean-up. Maybe not perfect but you were together and that sounds pretty perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:06 PM

    Happy Birthday to Tim. I'm glad you were able to have your party in spite of the rush at the last minute to clear up some of the mess. Hopefully soon it will all be done.
    The grands are cute. Looks like a lot of fun was had. GM

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very sweet birthday celebration with the darling grands! The cake is so creative - I love the 'waves' and the little boat. Trying to keep things 'normal' through a reno is quite a feat, but you are making it happen! So nice to see the early spring flowers. Happy Birthday to Tim! x K

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spring is my favourite season, I love to see the garden come back to life. It's like going from black and white to Technicolor. The fabulous birthday cake and the photobooth images, memories to treasure indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to know that the remodeling didn't hinder your party, Judging by the picture of your dear grands, it was a wonderful time. Happy Birthday to Tim. Your daughter-in-law is a very talented cake decorator. That is a fabulous cake and I'm sure it tasted just as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good news the visit went well. Cute cake.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous cake and I love that 'photo booth' photo!! Those grands will look back at the photo when they are old (if the Lord tarries) and cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for your visit on my blog. In fact the word was bread, but as I can’t see properly it tuned to “bref”!
    Hope your changes in the house are getting well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lost my comment...grrrr.... What a fun family get-together! I love when families have fun doing simple, sweet, fun things like that. I hate the mess that comes with updating things but it is so worth it in the end. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are 'wonder women' in the way that you cope with so much and do so seemingly easy. I have my grandson arriving tomorrow with his girlfriend for three days only and you would think that it was a major undertaking in the way that I am making up lists, cooking and menues - I am sure that I managed better when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It does look like a delightful Spring, despite the renovations. Well done for managing a family gathering, including a photo booth! The cake is a triumph: Happy Birthday to Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done you on enjoying family pleasures despite the upheavals. No doubt in years to come you will laugh about all the problems at the moment. Lovely to have the family around to take your mind off everything. Have a lovely weekend. B x

    ReplyDelete
  21. The kiddos are super adorable!
    And the cake is lovely.
    Happy Belated Birthday to Tim.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous cake! I love that the spring flowers are now flowering :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Spring and Happy Easter Lorrie! Family time is wonderful always but such a joyful way to take a break from the big remodel project (best wishes for the latter too!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This was such a fabulous family birthday party! Goes to show how beloved your Tim is!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Friday Favourites

  Today I awoke to the soft beat of rain punctuated by a chorus of birds singing their morning songs. It's a soft rain, soaking into the...