Thursday, May 25, 2023

Friday Favourites: Garden Flowers here and there

 


Hello there! Life snowballed for a bit and blogging was left behind. I've been painting the house (inside and out), gardening, and went to Butchart Gardens twice. The tulips are likely finished by now, but I hope you will enjoy these photos. 


The two little girls who accompanied me on one of the visits (along with their other grandmother) love the flowers. I noticed two-year-old Cora touching the flowers and then her lips. When I asked what she was doing, she told me, "I'm eating the morning dew." 


Tim and I also went boating one weekend. It was lovely to be on the water, and the weather was perfect, sunny and warm. 


Himalayan Blue Poppies bloom in Butchart Gardens. I bought seeds once, but they are notoriously difficult to start, and I had no success. 
Have you heard of the musical Come From Away? Tim and I attended a live performance and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the story of the 38 airplanes and their passengers who landed in Gander, Newfoundland during 9/11. The townspeople took them in, fed them, and treated them like family for five days until US air space opened. The musical brought back a lot of memories. 


We also went to Spokane for five days, meeting up with friends we worked with in the past. What a lot of fun we had together, reminiscing and laughing. 

In my own garden, the forget-me-nots and violets are fading, but the peonies and roses are taking center stage. I hope to get out and take some photos of them. May is such a wonderful month, lush and green with a parade of blooms. 

I hope to visit your blogs soon and find out what you've all be up to. 



21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way with words your Cora has! Perfect description.

    ReplyDelete

  2. No wonder you were out of pocket for a while! From painting to gardens to visits with long time friends. I love what your little granddaughter said. Seems she may have inherited the gift of poetry.

    Looking forward to seeing how the new kitchen is going. Hope that it is nearing the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious blooms! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos, the gardens have lovely color plantings. Dew sipping, melts the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed Butchart Gardens 44 years ago! Great blooms. Good work painting. My son has bought a cottage in Deer Run. I was quite shocked. They haven't been able to find a house. I guess this is another plan, in a gated community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow to those tulips. They are Jane's favourite flower, but they can't stand the wind here on the West Coast of Wales. Isn't spring the best of times for flowers and the joy they bring!

    ReplyDelete

  7. "I'm eating the morning dew." May she never change!

    Come From Away is one of my all-time favorite musicals. I've seen it live but watched documentaries about it on youtube and I think that the whole show is on Apple TV+

    ReplyDelete
  8. Painting is a lot of work and how nice to escape to Butchart and see those beautiful flowers with your little dew kiss granddaughter. You were in our neck of the woods. I hope you had some good weather while you were there. Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:28 PM

    Cora's comment about eating the morning dew is just so sweet ❤❤❤
    GM

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dazzling blooms, Lorrie.
    Those tulips are stunners!

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes you've been busy. Enjoying new color that you have applied yourself is wonderful.
    The tulips in the park are wonderful... I'm looking forward to your peonies. It didn't grow in my garden, but I have a lot of rose bushes and wildflowers too.
    Happy greetings to you... p.s. summer trousers are in the works :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an imaginative and also profound comment for young Cora to make - it sounds as if an interesting future could lie ahead for her.
    I too have endeavoured to grow Himalayan Blue Poppies but failed miserably. I have now accepted that both my soil and conditions are just not right. I have seem them growing profusely in Scotland and the Lake District, but they have a very rich peaty soil.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3:18 AM

    A lovely post! I especially love the little Violet amongst the Forget Me Nots! I tried growing the blue poppies from seed a few years ago but like you, I had no luck. Nice to have found your blog! Enjoy the weekend.😁

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such pretty flowers!

    Yes, I've heard of "Come from Away". I think it was in Toronto years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The tulips are just amazing! Have a happy Sunday...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like you've been busy ...
    Beautiful photographs you've shared here.

    Enjoy the week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7:00 PM

    I once upon a time bought the blue poppy seeds in that very same place. No luck! With you first picture I knew exactly where you were. How absolutely beautiful! I love it there. I need to visit again. This is not anonymous, but Marilyn M. Ugh! I don't know why it does that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have been busy! Glad you are enjoying yourself along with being productive. It is always a treat to see your photos from the Butchart Gardens. As our tulips are long past here, I especially loved seeing them again here today. What a sweet observation Cora made.
    I have not heard of the musical, although I read a book about it several years ago. Thoroughly enjoyed the book. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lorrie - I am so impressed with the tulip borders at Butchart. I like how it has "levels" and "layers" - very cleverly designed. But the prize for originality goes to Cora - I pray that she retains something of the joy and innocence that comes with "eating the morning dew." I saw Himalayan Blue Poppies in two gardens during our recent trip to the UK. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful garden :) B x

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never get tired of contemplating photos displaying beautiful flowers (tulips, peonies, roses).
    It seems you had a great time visiting places and meeting up with friends, with the cooperation of perfect weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Life These Days

  I only listen to the radio while driving. Occasionally I'll sit in the driveway for a few moments to finish a segment. Last Saturday I...