Friday, June 16, 2023

Poppies among the Potatoes

 


Fluffy double poppies self-seed freely in my garden. I move them around or let them be, as I choose. There are a number in my small potato patch of 10 plants and they all chose to bloom at the same time. How pretty those pops of pink are among the greenery. 


Sweet peas just began blooming, along with Bachelor Buttons grown from seed. A little posy of them grace my new kitchen windowsill. 


The roses continue to delight me. Above is Lichfield Angel, my newest rose. I love how it lights the dark foliage of phlox behind it. 


It's been a busy week with dinner guests on Tuesday followed by house guests Wednesday through Friday morning. I made a Rhubarb Cream Cheese Pie, something I enjoy making every year when rhubarb stalks shoot up and out. This year I had quite a few strawberries ripe at the same time, so I added a cupful of them to the rhubarb mixture. Delicious! I'm a bit weary with all the company and getting students to finish up their work for the end of the year. Tonight (Friday) there are plenty of leftovers in the fridge, so we'll be having Refrigerator Review for dinner. 


The kitchen is finished. Tim did the ceramic tile backsplash this week, and the hanging light fixtures arrived. They were backordered since February. I'm so pleased with it. The footprint is the same as before, a U-shape in front of the window, but we extended the peninsula three feet into the adjacent open space where we have our breakfast table and a small sofa. I want to put a piece of art on the blank wall above the peninsula and I'm on the hunt for just the right piece. 

The oak flooring will continue throughout the main floor, along with other renovations, but we're taking a break from tearing up the house for awhile, and just enjoying what's been done. 

There are so many decisions to make when renovating or building, and one never really knows what it will look like until everything is installed. I'm pleased as punch that I like all of the elements we've chosen. What a relief!

This weekend will be fairly quiet although all the children and grandchildren will be over for a barbecue on Sunday afternoon. What plans do you have for the weekend? Or the week?


22 comments:

  1. What a very lovely kitchen, Lorrie. I think you will enjoy using it. I wonder what you will choose for your Artwork?
    As often, you are ahead of me with flowers. my sweet peas are only just budding. But I came home to find a mass of pink peony tutu taking over he flower bed! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The kitchen is gorgeous - contemporary, but homely. I like the small touches of copper and brass which add an extra dimension to the whole.
    Did you know that your beautiful rose, Lichfield Angel, is named after an 8th century limestone sculptured panel, which was discovered in Lichfield Cathedral?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichfield_Angel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:13 AM

    your kitchen looks fabulous! You must be so pleased! Those poppies are exquisite…I used to have some but they have disappeared? Have a lovely weekend Lorrie!
    Leslie
    Hostess of the Humble Bungalow

    ReplyDelete
  4. Call me old-fashioned but I love sweet peas and bachelor buttons. That was my favorite pic in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kitchen looks amazing! Great choices! Love the cabinet color with the white counters and backsplash. The light fixtures were worth the wait. Congrats on having that project behind you! I'm looking forward to our Master shower project to be behind us. Hooray for a fairly quiet weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen is beautiful! I love all the counter space.
    Artwork? Consider signage. Maybe an illustrated one of your favorite place?
    The double poppies are so cute, playful flower vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the kitchen reno! Great job.

    We have a weekend with family and we’re enjoying it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:40 PM

    I've been hoping for a picture of your newly renovated kitchen! You must be so relieved to have it done. It looks great.
    So does that most lovely rose Lichfield Angel and the Rhubarb Cream Cheese Pie. Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  9. rhubarb your kitchen is… beautiful ! The colour is one of my favourites ! I will cut some rhubarb tomorrow and will try your recipe these days. I did not plant sweet peas this year as they died last year because it was too hot, but usually I plant some and love their sweet smell. This weekend we had a rest as we had storm and heavy rain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your flowers look lovely but I especially like the fluffy double poppies.
    Your kitchen looks great, what a lovely colour.

    This weekend we celebrated fathers day, a lovely family occasion.

    Wishing you a good new week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your kitchen looks beautiful, Lorrie! I know renovation is a lot of work and inconvenience but when it is all finished it is a delight. Your flowers also look beautiful and your pie looks very delicious. My peonies have not opened as yet--it has been cool and rainy here and we need some heat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your new kitchen looks stunning, I’m not surprised you love it. I like the sound of refrigerator review. What a great expression! B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your kitchen, Lorrie.
    Those poppies are so pretty!

    Hugs and blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your ruffled poppies are delightful! I have some seeds for some and can't wait to plant them next year.
    I love how your kitchen turned out. The blue is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the most beautiful kitchen -- I always wanted a blue kitchen, but in my house it didn't work. So I get extra pleasure from looking at yours <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your kitchen looks fantastic! I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marilyn M.5:50 PM

    Your garden flowers, pie and kitchen are all beautiful. We have hard wood flooring in our kitchen and I highly recommend some throw rugs in places that you stand a lot. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your kitchen is lovely; how nice to have it done. You're going to spend many happy hours in there. Great flower photos they are all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All your blossoms are gorgeous and your kitchen is perfect! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your kitchen turned out so beautiful! I know from experience that for the next ten years you'll be going in and thinking, I'm so glad we did this!! I love the shade of blue with the white tile, it looks so clean and having that space for artwork, just keeps it nice and open, rather than more cupboards. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How exciting to have your kitchen renovations finished. What a beautiful transformation. I really like your selections and they all came together so nicely. It must be so nice for you to be cooking and baking in there after months of upheaval.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What is not to love about this post, Lorrie! I love every photo and entry about what is going on in your world these days. LOVE those double frilly pink poppies--I'm smitten. That dessert looks amazing. And your kitchen is a marvel - you are going to love living in that beautiful, calm space. Happy days ahead.... Brenda xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Rain and Sunshine

  When the rain stopped late yesterday morning, I pulled on my jacket and shoes for a walk. We are so privileged to live in a town where the...