Saturday, June 24, 2023

Summer, Summer, Summer

 


It's hard to choose a favourite season, but summer is right up there in the top four! Maybe the top two - with summer and autumn teetering for the most favoured. I love the flowers, the fresh produce, the warmer temperatures (rarely too warm here), and all the lovely light. 

Last evening the light poured through the kitchen window onto the vase of double peony poppies, lady's mantle, and wine red poppies on the counter. How rich it looked. 


On Midsummer's Eve we took a later-than-usual drive down to the breakwater and watched the light slowly fade in the west. A cruise ship passed by, festive with lights, and I imagined the passengers lingering over their after-dinner tea, or leaning on the railing watching the glowing city on their starboard side. 


From my kitchen window on a rainy day I watched a Rufous Hummingbird (I think) preening in the shelter of the lilac tree. She sat for the longest time, combing her tail with her long beak, fluffing herself, then smoothing everything down. 


The raspberries are ripening and the bushes are loaded. I've frozen several containers for winter eating, and we're enjoying the fresh berries in smoothies, with granola and yogurt, and with a bit of cream. Last night we had family over and dessert was bowls of vanilla ice cream with a few late strawberries, lots of raspberries, and a few early blueberries, topped with a caramel sauce and chocolate sprinkles for those who wanted. 
Nothing easier!


I pick a fresh posy of sweet peas every few days. Happily I can smell them faintly now. This particular posy is for Connie Lou in Florida, a reader who emailed me to say that they are her favourite flower. I wish there was a scratch and sniff option in blogger. 

School ended on Friday and I finished report cards. Three weeks of teaching was plenty and I'll happily enjoy retirement once more. My daughter is doing very well in her recovery from surgery, and I thank you for your prayers and kind thoughts. 

Summer days, how I love them!

26 comments:

  1. They are indeed happy sunny days. This morning I picked a few stems of roses and Lady's Mantle too! It's such a lovely addition to any Summer bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I love all the seasons, but this is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good news your daughter is doing well.
    Sweetpeas are beautuful, delicate and fancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely RICH! In colors, flowers, berries and birds... And you reminded me that I was planning to pick a bunch of sweet peas myself, a couple of hours ago! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. My, what a lovely post. I love that you are getting berries and they look wonderful. The sweet peas are so pretty.
    Love your quote, "summer is right up there in the top four!" If you don't mind, I'm going to use that, LOL
    Have a sweet Sunday.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:14 PM

    Beautiful bouquet of Sweet Peas. Good to know your sense of smell is coming back..
    All the different berries look so tasty. I think we'll get raspberries this coming week and maybe find some cherries.
    Have a lovely relaxing week now that you are once again retired. GM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you added the sweetpeas to your post. I seldom see them anymore and I do love them. My youngest child had sweetpeas in her wedding bouquet. such a nice touch, I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn it-lost my comment. Anyway- I love summer days, too, and, like you, we don't have really hot hot summers-this year being an exception so far. I love your pictures-especially the hummingbird one. You rarely see them 'resting'. Happy Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear about your daughter. All that lovely fruit. It must have been a delicious family meal. B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like things are going well. Good. I love your part of Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Good news about your daughter and retirement from teaching again!

    The berries look delicious, way ahead of ours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really envy the fact that you have hummingbirds in your garden - the Rufous one looks to be a charming little bird. Especially good news to learn that your daughter has recovered from her surgery and is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful flowers and fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! That floral arrangement is beautiful and the light, perfection. My sweet pea bush has exploded. I'm picking constantly and love them! Yours are so pretty there -- aren't they the best?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marilyn M.1:47 PM

    So happy you can return to retirement and that you daughter is getting better. Love the sweet peas, flowers and the berries of this season.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ice cream always taste better during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You magnify the beauty of each photo with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lorrie - obviously, I am out of the loop - sorry to hear about your daughter's surgery, but it sounds like it has turned out ok. I split my love between summer and winter - I love my flower garden in the summer, and the long days are so special. Winter brings special sports opportunities, and many days, albeit short, that have zero responsibilities since the garden is sleeping contentedly under the blanket of white! Love the look of those berries!

    ReplyDelete
  19. When our construction is done, and my garden reconfigured, I can't wait to grow more poppies in my garden! Yours are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I envy you for your berries. We import them (except strawnerries which are local production), and their price is quite high.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the pretty floral arrangement.
    I am happy to hear that your daughter is recovering well and that you are enjoying your retirement.

    Hugs and blessings, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Enjoying these happy summer days over here as well...berries, blooms, birds and evening drives or bike rides! Beautfiul pic's.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lorrie! It was so nice to catch up with you on your latest posts. I’m always envious of all your homegrown produce; those berries look so wonderful and your dessert sounded decadent. Your kitchen looks fabulous and I look forward to seeing the art work that you find for the spot above the peninsula. I’m so sorry that I did know about your daughter’s surgery but I’m glad that she’s doing well. Happy Summer…your favorite! It’s too hot here to be my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovey pictures and the sweet peas are just fantastic!
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your floral arrangement looks beautiful, and your berries so delicious :)
    Enjoy your summer days.

    All the best Jan

    PS So pleased to read that your daughter is doing well in her recovery from surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Summer is my season followed by spring and fall! Don't like winter. Your photos are beautiful and have captured many of the joys of summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

Rain and Sunshine

  When the rain stopped late yesterday morning, I pulled on my jacket and shoes for a walk. We are so privileged to live in a town where the...