Friday, October 27, 2023

Friday Favourites

 

Fuschia blooming against the dancing fountain at Butchart Gardens

A quiet Friday afternoon with sunshine streaming in the living room window. One granddaughter, with a half day of school, sits reading on the floor. My mother, on the couch, stitches a quilted placemat. Outside, my father putters with Tim. I chat a little, then write a little. 


A chilly wind riffles the red and green leaves of the acer outside. Bright blue skies belie the temperature which dropped Wednesday night, bringing us two nights of frost. Having read the forecast, I took myself to Butchart Gardens. While wandering the paths I noticed several groups of people planting bulbs, hyacinths and tulips, for next spring. The gardeners tossed bulbs onto the prepared soil from big buckets, later tamping them into the ground. In other spots, people were busy stringing lights for the Christmas displays. 


Leaves created a colourful carpet under the trees, leaves that lifted and danced when caught by a breeze. 


Heart-shaped leaves and shadows on a grey wall. 


And the long border of dahlias still so showy, glowed in the sunlight. I wonder how they look now after the frosty nights. 


Curtains of colour marked with dark sculptural lines. 


This morning we took a trip to Goldstream Park. The salmon run is just beginning. Leaves twirl from the trees to the ground or water. 

I recently read this article The Lovely World of Susan Branch which may interest you if you are a follower of Susan Branch. 

Enjoy these last days of this most beautiful month. As Anne of Green Gables once said, "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."


23 comments:

  1. It is a good image having your family around you.
    The reds this year seem to be more vibrant.
    No frost at the lower Vermont elevation where I live. It is past due as our first frost dates from October 1st to the 10th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh…such gorgeous colours in this post,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Butchart Gardens is such a great spot to wander...I was there earlier this week. That cold snap was shocking especially after my swims at the rec centre this week!!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fortunate to live near Butchart Gardens. It's a beautiful place to take a walk! Your photos are wonderful. This is my favorite time of year. I love the description of your cozy afternoon with your family. x K

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colours in your photos are so Autumnal. What a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Butchart Gardens look amazing. What glorious colours, and what a treat to go there to enjoy them. Those Dahlias are stunning. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it must be really lovely to live near a place like Butchart Gardens. The views and your photos are gorgeous.
    I love Susan Branch illustrations. Maybe it was in your blog I first time saw a link to her website. The article looks very interesting and I'm going to read it next.
    In your photos, autumn is at its best. Here in Eastern Finland we have had some frost for a week or so and all the summer's flowers have gone. During this weekend, some snow is expected.
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are gorgeous, Lori. The gardens look like a lovely place no matter what the season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful joyful post. I love all the exquisite fall photos. The Butchart Gardens are beautiful for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that garden was well worth a visit. Such glorious colours. Enjoy having your family around. B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a very lovely day. (And I love Susan Branch!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photos and descriptions of settings you are in and have been in. We went beyond frost to freezing these last days of October. Have a lovely Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. these red colours are just gorgeous!
    Here we have rain and 13 C, but non stop rain.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous4:47 PM

    I hope the Dahlias avoided being frost bitten. I had 3 small ones, in pots, and they froze.
    I am off to read the article on Susan Branch. Thank you for mentioning it.
    Granny M

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous photos. I was hoping to travel somewhere and see some Fall color but it doesn't look like it will work out. At least our weather is mild here now! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That fuchsia is beautiful and I enjoyed all of your other photographs.
    I do so agree "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

    Enjoy the remaining few days of this wonderful, colourful month.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. That first paragraph is so comforting and makes me long for similar days spent with my own family many years ago.
    You were smart to take yourself to Butchart Gardens. Such a beautiful place in all seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's a little miracle to live where you can spontaneously decide to walk the paths at beautiful Butchart Gardens on the day before the Autumn season ends! Thanks for sharing that walk! What a neat mental picture it is to see next spring's bulbs going into the ground at the same time as the Christmas decorating begin. October really is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The gardens must be a lovely place. and your pictures are gorgeous! It's good that you took time for a visit before frost. I do love the picture you wrote of in your home of you writing in the living room, your granddaughter reading a book, and your mother stitching away. And the men with their own companionship. That's really nice, Lorrie.

    ReplyDelete

  21. Sounds so peaceful there! I love October, and now it's come and gone so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Marilyn M3:20 PM

    I did so enjoy visiting Butchart Gardens in September. What a treat to have it nearby. I would love, love seeing it at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...