Wednesday, October 04, 2023

Home Again

 

An old-style wheelbarrow at Fort Louisbourg, Nova Scotia

I couldn't help smiling as we turned into our street. Arriving home after a lovely adventure is one of the best parts of travel. We walked through our front door late on Monday night after spending a day with my parents on the mainland. 

That first evening, in the dark, I took a tour of my garden. Dahlias are going strong, there are a few zinnias and roses. Lots of purple Concord grapes and some very sweet green ones whose name escapes me. 


Fishing floats dangling in the sun

Since then we've been busy - clearing out the camping trailer, laundry, shopping for groceries - and to complicate matters, our daughter-in-law broke her ankle Tuesday morning. Surgery was today. Family is pulling together with meals and chauffeur duties. 

Beautiful views from a cliff on Newfoundland

When I have enough of inside duties, I go out to the garden for a stint of clipping and weeding. There is a lot to be done and the weather is cooperating. Roses have grown long thorny branches that I am cutting ruthlessly. I'm eyeing the apples - our children have assured us that they have picked all they need and we've offered them to others, but there is still a goodly amount to be made into applesauce and pies. All in good time.


This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving. The children have everything organized and we were tasked to bring drinks. Now that Katie is immobilized for a few weeks, I volunteered to make dessert - her task. 

As I sort through photos and sift memories in my mind, there will be stories shared here in between the everyday happenings. I've begun reading and commenting on blogs once again and look forward to catching up with you all soon. 



20 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:16 PM

    Welcome Home ! I'm sure it's wonderful to be back. I'm sorry your poor DIL broke her ankle . It's great when family is available and willing to pitch in and help. GM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you back, Lorrie. I have so enjoyed your postcards of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home. So sorry to hear about your DIL. Hope she has a speedy recovery. Blessings to one and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home, Lorrie. The trip was great but yes, always so much to do when you are home. I'm glad your TG will be potluck -- a dessert shouldn't be too bad and if worse comes to worst, there's always the bakery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, sorry about Katie's ankle. Nice to have everyone rally to help her. Welcome home. How nice to have a Thanksgiving celebration to look forward to so soon to enjoy all your people!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your DIL’s broken ankle. Hope it mends quickly. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy thanksgiving and having family around you again. Hope your daughter in law makes a quick recovery. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy you are safely home after an amazing journey. I posted today however am readying to leave for England this weekend so may not be commenting for a while. Bob and I think of you both often - hope we catch up again some day, some place.
    Love and hugs - M&B

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, have a very Happy Thanksgiving dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Lorrie! What an elegant and interesting selection of photos from your travel.
    Welcome home, Happy Thanksgiving... and thank you for telling me about Boden. They have amazing knitwear and dresses and the website has been planned really well.
    Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome home and thank you for some more lovely photographs.
    Sorry to read that your daughter-in-law has broken her ankle, wishing her a good recovery.

    Happy Thanksgiving Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that there’s nothing like coming home! I was so sorry to read about your DIL’s broken ankle, but thankfully she has family to help her get through this. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome home and a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  15. Belated Thanksgiving wishes -- I'm sure you had a wonderful family day yesterday. Yes, we also love to travel and we love coming home too. I enjoy reading about both parts of your life as well! Healing wishes for your DIL.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back home and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marilyn M5:24 PM

    So happy you had a wonderful adventure. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome home, so sorry about Katie. Gosh.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. And welcome home! I've enjoyed reading about your travels. Someday, my husband and I would like to take a long trip in our camper. Although, I agree with you, one of the best parts of traveling is coming home again. It's nice that we get to do both.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah! It feels like you're back! I'm sure your family was looking forward to Thanksgiving with you and it looks like they gave you a break. (Not to mention the broken ankle - sorry about that!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I read and value each one, cherishing the connections we can make although far apart. Usually, I visit your blog in return, although if you ask a question I try to contact you directly.

In the Evening Light

  The light behind the waving trees I see through my window is pale yellow. The kitchen is tidy; my tasks for the day are complete. I love t...